• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

swan ID

These birds are in a field south of staithe road near potter heigham. Id like a second opinion on the Id, I thought Bewicks.

Attachments

• DSC_0116.JPG
    DSC_0116.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 190
These birds are in a field south of staithe road near potter heigham. Id like a second opinion on the Id, I thought Bewicks.

Bewick yes for your picture.
The Bewick and Whooper swans betweenLudham, Catfield and Potter seem to be moving around more this year. They also seem to be more separated into smaller groups.
Though pretty much staying in the same 3 village triangle.

Thanks, I've seen them hanging around with a couple of cranes. They've been feeding in this field for the last three days, I've seen them arriving at dawn from the NE and leaving at dusk in the same direction.

Holt Parrots

Any more specific details available re where they are. I got them a couple of months ago in the main car park by the buildings and children's play area. Is that still where they are or have they moved? Someone said car park field - not sure where they mean.

Thanks.

You'll need to head south from Holt on the B1149 and go past the entrance to the Country Park. After about half a mile or so, just before the road goes down into quite a dip (!) there's a grassy area on the left where you can park or immediately past that there is limited space on both sides of the road. The birds were on the west side of the road this morning, their usual site I believe. Around 6 Commons were with about 24 Parrots.
I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Thomas

Titchwell 14th February

Today's sightings:

Avocet - 42 on the freshmarsh
Red-crested Pochard - Male and female on the freshmarsh
Goosander - Female on the freshmarsh
Hen Harrier - Ringtail seen over the tidal marsh
Brambling - 1 on the feeders at the vc
Scaup - 2 on the freshmarsh
Glaucous Gull - Juvenille past on the sea
Great northern diver - 1 on the sea

I'm away up north for job interviews/American warblers next week so the next update won't be until Thursday.

Happy birding,

Ed.

Today's sightings:

Avocet - 42 on the freshmarsh
Red-crested Pochard - Male and female on the freshmarsh
Goosander - Female on the freshmarsh
Hen Harrier - Ringtail seen over the tidal marsh
Brambling - 1 on the feeders at the vc
Scaup - 2 on the freshmarsh
Glaucous Gull - Juvenille past on the sea
Great northern diver - 1 on the sea

I'm away up north for job interviews/American warblers next week so the next update won't be until Thursday.

Happy birding,

Ed.

Do you know what way the Glauc went?

Some excellent pre-rain east Norfolk birding slotted in by myself and Geoff Bowen this morning which included both the Slavonian Grebe and redhead Smew on Filby Broad along with a good count of 80-90 Shoveler and two Bar-headed Geese which were nice to see regardless of their origin.

A quick pop-in to check Rollesby Broad in search of the Scaup which was dipped earlier at Ormesby Little Broad produced a Bittern instead which was just as rewarding and although we also dipped Snow Bunting at Caister, a quick drive up the coast to Winterton got me a personal record count of c150 birds on the north beach pending a more accurate count that should be attained by studying photographs later.

The Black-throated Diver showed well on Horsey Mere and another Bittern flew over the back. I can't remember the last time I saw Bitterns at two separate sites in Norfolk on a winters day if ever, so very nice indeed.

Although the rain had now arrived, news of the Scaup again at Ormesby found us returning to this site but this time with success which completed the trio of these lovely wintering birds - and now in full twitching mode and full of positive vibes, the Waxwing in Norwich along Ber Street proved too irresistible an opportunity to turn up and sure enough, there it was feeding on an apple in the tree from just a few feet away.

What with a backing cast which included Kingfisher, several Marsh Harriers, Buzzards and Goldeneye, a couple of Marsh Tits and courting Great Crested Grebes it was a cracking few hours of Broadland birding.

Steve.

Last edited:
You'll need to head south from Holt on the B1149 and go past the entrance to the Country Park. After about half a mile or so, just before the road goes down into quite a dip (!) there's a grassy area on the left where you can park or immediately past that there is limited space on both sides of the road. The birds were on the west side of the road this morning, their usual site I believe. Around 6 Commons were with about 24 Parrots.
I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Thomas

Please do not block the entrance to the clearing where the Parrots are. Last week the owner was doing some work in there. He has asked people to leave the site before and if he cannot get his tractor etc in it might be the end of any access.

John

In regard to the comments about the Great Reed Warbler on the Twitter link, it rather saddens me to see the flippant remarks about Holkham. Holkham is a large nature reserve, much of it out of bounds to the public due to the nature of many species of flora and fauna that all need protection/preservation. In the last year every effort has been made at an informal level (ie me) in releasing news of birds (Black Kite, Grey-headed Wagtail, Two-barred Crossbill, Siberian Stonechat, Hume's Warbler etc) that have been in areas where access is no problem. As I do not possess a pager or have links to RBA this is usually done to Birdline and/or people who have links with the pager organisation. In the past it should also be remembered that effort was made to provide extra car parking at Burnham Norton when the Stilt Sandpiper appeared on the reserve. This did not have to be done, but was. As for the Great Reed Warbler - it was not in the dunes as the BBRC website misleadingly refers but it was on the edge of the grazing marshes where there is no public access, it was seen by myself and one other (a fellow warden) and was only present for about 30 minutes and was not a singing bird. No ringing of passerines occurs on the site. For anyone who works in conservation and on large sensitive nature reserves, the above explanation needs no further comments, the dilemma of finding a rarity whilst 'at work' is one that many will have in the past and will in the future be faced with. The bird watching community should respect such actions. At Holkham last year we had suspected egg collectors and two very rare birds desert their nests, so all is not plain sailing on a reserve that attracts over 800,000 visitors. We welcome people and bird watchers, and anyone who knows me I hope will vouch for the fact that I will help anyone in need of advice in regard as to whats about and where to see it, yet there will always be instances were certain places will be out of bounds to the public. There is nothing malicious in this, merely the reality of working on a very large site with a lot of very important species.

In regard to the comments about the Great Reed Warbler on the Twitter link, it rather saddens me to see the flippant remarks about Holkham. Holkham is a large nature reserve, much of it out of bounds to the public due to the nature of many species of flora and fauna that all need protection/preservation. In the last year every effort has been made at an informal level (ie me) in releasing news of birds (Black Kite, Grey-headed Wagtail, Two-barred Crossbill, Siberian Stonechat, Hume's Warbler etc) that have been in areas where access is no problem. As I do not possess a pager or have links to RBA this is usually done to Birdline and/or people who have links with the pager organisation. In the past it should also be remembered that effort was made to provide extra car parking at Burnham Norton when the Stilt Sandpiper appeared on the reserve. This did not have to be done, but was. As for the Great Reed Warbler - it was not in the dunes as the BBRC website misleadingly refers but it was on the edge of the grazing marshes where there is no public access, it was seen by myself and one other (a fellow warden) and was only present for about 30 minutes and was not a singing bird. No ringing of passerines occurs on the site. For anyone who works in conservation and on large sensitive nature reserves, the above explanation needs no further comments, the dilemma of finding a rarity whilst 'at work' is one that many will have in the past and will in the future be faced with. The bird watching community should respect such actions. At Holkham last year we had suspected egg collectors and two very rare birds desert their nests, so all is not plain sailing on a reserve that attracts over 800,000 visitors. We welcome people and bird watchers, and anyone who knows me I hope will vouch for the fact that I will help anyone in need of advice in regard as to whats about and where to see it, yet there will always be instances were certain places will be out of bounds to the public. There is nothing malicious in this, merely the reality of working on a very large site with a lot of very important species.
Your account is perfectly reasonable and I would broadly agree with. I would be in even more agreement, if it had been made in May 2013. When the BBRC release news of rare birds that most people knew nothing about it will invite comments and questions, some of which will not be favourable.

Last edited:
Hi Norfolk Snake
I don't see any flippant remarks in here. One person just commented that they do not remember the report.
I assumed it was a bird in breeding area hence why the news was not released. I think there was one in same area when the breeding Parrot Xbills were at Wells (but I may be wrong!)
Good record to get accepted and unusual I guess for non singing bird in Spring
Nice find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back