• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Most of the local Birders went up north today to see the male Bullfinch. They were successful so I hope someone posts here with details and photos, Mike

I don’t know what was going on at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was very special indeed. 400 Balearic shearwaters, a few Scopoli’s and then the Gannets started coming through.

Awesome. Well done Mike.

Weird weather indeed. Even at Sant Vincenc some 40 odd Balearic shearwater were seen. I have never seen them so close here. Maybe weather was bad at sea.

Other birds seen along the Fishermans walk at Sant V. Included Sardinian and balearic warblers(6), Booted eagles, Robins, Great tits, Crossbills, Corn Buntings, Red L.P., meadow pipits,stonechats, Raven.

Possible Dartford warbler seen however this seems very early?

Bullfinch in Orient

As Mike said, this week Toni Soler saw a bullfinch in a small "river wood" after crossing Orient.

It is an stunning and beautiful bird, very very rare in Majorca, only 2 o 3 observations confirmed, so we are all looking for him.

Saturday me and Daniel Hinckley saw it and got some pictures in a terrified light situation. Yesterday 4 birders more saw it, and some other didnt see it.

I upload the "horrible" picture.

Attachments

• M243_PinsaBorroner.jpg
    M243_PinsaBorroner.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It is an stunning and beautiful bird, very very rare in Majorca, only 2 o 3 observations confirmed, so we are all looking for him.

Hi Pep

A great bird to see anywhere, they've become very scarce near me..

I don't know when the first was seen but I came across an unconfirmed report from birdtours.co.uk (http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/balearics/mallorca-13/Mallorca-april-2008.htm Magical Majorca April 29th-May 6th 2008, by Burbage birders & Ken Reeves.
13 birders from Burbage Bird Club in Leicestershire stayed in Puerto Pollensa
On Sunday 4th May 2008, at the far eastern end of S'Albufera there were Bee-eater's, Kestrel's and big numbers of Barn Swallow/ Common Swift flocks were feeding along the road to the little known entrance on the eastern end of the reserve [probably the closed gate near the Depuradora]. Walking to the viewing platform [I assume the one near Ses Puntes] "a pair of Bullfinches".

Martin

Last edited:
I saw a female Bullfinch at Son Real on 8th January 2016. I didn’t submit the record as I didn’t get a photo and it was a single observer record. I thought that they were treated as escapes so I didn’t take it too seriously. Maybe there are a very few in Mallorca, who knows. Mike

13 birders from Burbage Bird Club in Leicestershire stayed in Puerto Pollensa
On Sunday 4th May 2008, at the far eastern end of S'Albufera there were Bee-eater's, Kestrel's and big numbers of Barn Swallow/ Common Swift flocks were feeding along the road to the little known entrance on the eastern end of the reserve [probably the closed gate near the Depuradora]. Walking to the viewing platform [I assume the one near Ses Puntes] "a pair of Bullfinches".
Martin

Martin I guess a very important matter to discard scapes from captivity is the season and the place.

The little corner in Orient where the bullbinch is right now, is kind of a portion of Galicia or Asturias in Majorca, maybe one of the few places who looks like a valley in Pirinees.

The pine trees woods near s'Albufera and the May 4th are not the best place and the best month to think it is a natural arrived bird.

But as people says "birds fly" and almost every thing is possible. Who knows...

Last edited:
I have had a request from a reader who is coming to Mallorca in the last week of May. He wants to stay in an hotel near the beach in Pollensa and therefore near good birding. If anyone has any recommendations perhaps they could post here and I will pass it on to John. He says he wants a “nice” hotel so I assume not on a tight budget! Thanks, Mike

I have had a request from a reader who is coming to Mallorca in the last week of May. He wants to stay in an hotel near the beach in Pollensa and therefore near good birding. If anyone has any recommendations perhaps they could post here and I will pass it on to John. He says he wants a “nice” hotel so I assume not on a tight budget! Thanks, Mike

The best advise is to tell him to use Booking.com and Trip Advisor as it depends if he wants hotel or apartment etc.and price he wants to pay. Maybe he can get a deal for bed breakfast and evening meal etc. Albufereta and Bocquer Valley are so close and can use the bus if he has no car.

Had a great afternoon at Orient in search of the Bullfinch.
Thanks to Pep and the other birders for the relevent information.
The site is special..great habitats..farmland, mountains, forests and bushes.
Birds seen included Red Kites, Booted Eagles, Ravens, Song Thrushes, Fieldfares, Great tits, Blue tits, chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, Cetti and sardinian warblers, serins, Crossbills...and 4 Hawfinches.

Did I mention the Bullfinch..sigh..seen by Mika again! Only for a few seconds..Grr....
It was fun to twitch again but it was wonderful to find such a great valley and area around Orient.

Last edited:
The best advise is to tell him to use Booking.com and Trip Advisor as it depends if he wants hotel or apartment etc.and price he wants to pay. Maybe he can get a deal for bed breakfast and evening meal etc. Albufereta and Bocquer Valley are so close and can use the bus if he has no car.

Would agree with this 100%

Thanks all for your advice. I will pass it onto John.
Looks like a trip to Orient beckons. Sounds a wonderful place and I doubt many people have ever been birding there. It just confirms what I have always thought, this Island is full of surprises and we are still making new discoveries all the time. There are many hidden places which as Pep suggests, have their own ecosystem which may contain some different birds, moths and other insects. Exciting stuff for pioneers who fancy trekking in the little known corners of Mallorca. Mike

Orient

Orient is one of the most special valleys of Majorca, and the only one who runs in paralel to the range, 2 kms after the little village there is a public path (by foot) direct to santa Maria, in the map it is yellow color and it begins just in the word "Vall", west of Orient, and the first km is very special for wintering birds, just a paradise.

As you can see, in the Majorca Birding Map, we located Orient as the "birding point 64", and the possibility to watch the wintering finches, obviusly not the bullfinch because it was very, very rare and not confirmed yet.

I include 2 pictures.

Attachments

• Orient1.jpg
    Orient1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Orient2.jpg
    Orient2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 38
A gentle stroll around Son Real with Mike Mc and his wife Susan. I can’t recommend this reserve highly enough, there is such a diverse range of habitat and plenty to see for all the family.
Lots of Hawfinch seen from the hide, a singing Dartford Warbler, Turnstones and many common species too. Nothing of note on the sea but the pies were great. Thanks Mike.
Mike.

A gentle stroll around Son Real with Mike Mc and his wife Susan. I can’t recommend this reserve highly enough, there is such a diverse range of habitat and plenty to see for all the family.
Lots of Hawfinch seen from the hide, a singing Dartford Warbler, Turnstones and many common species too. Nothing of note on the sea but the pies were great. Thanks Mike.
Mike.

Oh Mike! Dartford warbler, my Mallorca bogey bird! I’ve looked for it on every visit to Son Real (albeit out of the breeding season). So.. where exactly did you have it??????

Stew

Dartford warblers are very tricky as you have discovered! Kevin showed Mike and I a really good patch at Son Real.
Going down through the reserve, right to the coast, there is a viewing platform. Walking just to the east of this, before one of the military towers, is a dip with some very low scrub.
This is the best place we have found for both Balearic and Dartford warblers. They do respond to “phishing” but the problem for many visiting Birders is that they come in April or May when the birds are more difficult or on eggs.
However, Porto Colom is far and away the best place.
Driving through Porto Colom towards the lighthouse, there is a sharp right hand bend by a car park by the boats. This is marked in the “Tourists Guide”. Walk up the gravel track right to the end by the coast, a bay known as “S’Algar”, and both species can be seen in the scrub to your right.
Mike and I had exceptional views recently. The male birds are obviously easier, showing vivid brick-red lower parts and a longer tail.
Hope this helps. Bogey birds are annoying so I hope you connect on your next visit.
Coming out of season is highly recommend but the weather can be nasty as I think you discovered!
The whole Island is a picture at the moment with blossom covering the countryside. It’s a joy to be out walking right now, 22 degrees yesterday and no clouds all day.
Good luck, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back