• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

44. Tawny Eagle
45. Shikra
46. Grey Crowned-Crane
47. Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater
48. White-browed Robin-Chat
49. Sooty Chat
50. Collared Sunbird
51. Scarlet-chested Sunbird - Chalcomitra senegalensis
52. Mariqua Sunbird
53. Variable Sunbird
54. Purple-banded Sunbird
55. Copper Sunbird
56. African Pied Wagtail

Attachments

• DSC_1220.JPG
    DSC_1220.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_3191.JPG
    DSC_3191.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF5832.JPG
    DSCF5832.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 47
44. Tawny Eagle
45. Shikra
46. Grey Crowned-Crane
47. Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater
48. White-browed Robin-Chat
49. Sooty Chat
50. Collared Sunbird
51. Scarlet-chested Sunbird - Chalcomitra senegalensis
52. Mariqua Sunbird
53. Variable Sunbird
54. Purple-banded Sunbird
55. Copper Sunbird
56. African Pied Wagtail

Wow!....I need sunglasses Guy! :eek!:

Wow!....I need sunglasses Guy! :eek!:
Thanks KenM ;) The rainy season is starting so bird watching will slow down, our water features wont attract as many birds.|:mad:| The rain will bring more flowers so we will see more sunbirds.

Last edited:
In 34 years....I've looked at this oak tree countless times without success, normally early am, when the sun lights it up. Today in the gloom I levelled my bins through the double glazing, a small pale shape against the trunk morphed into view, cows might fly I mused...then it moved :eek!:....still can't quite believe it but!...there it is no.52.

Attachments

• P1440473.jpeg     House Treeper.jpeg
    P1440473.jpeg House Treeper.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 65
Nice one Ken!

Two new birds for me yesterday - Chiffchaff and Greenfinch.

Been hoping for Chiffchaff at some point (unlikely as a winter bird though, despite them increasing*), so was actually more surprised by the Greenfinches feeding on Blackthorn buds!

(* https://twitter.com/bardseyben/status/835429344159879168 - from the CBWPS/BTO/UoE seabirds conference in Cornwall)

As a boy in the same wood....60 years ago! Greenfinches would fly off the ground (almost vertically) like tracer bullets, in flocks of 30-40! In December I saw 3!!!....this year none!......as compensation we get Firecrest, Legret, Common Buzzard, Red Kite and both Accipters, I would have been ''sectioned'' for suggesting that they would demise, and be replaced by the latter. My how times have changed!....regarding Greenfinches on Blackthorn buds....It used to be Bullfinches....and they too have gone the same way. :-C

Only recently joined, and only just saw this thread! List of birds seen and heard from my backyard this year (1 Jan. 2017 to now):

1. California Scrub-Jay
2. Chestnut-backed Chickadee
3. Eurasian Collared-Dove
4. House Finch
5. Purple Finch
6. Hermit Thrush
7. American Robin
8. American Crow
9. Common Raven
10. Yellow-rumped Warbler
11. Townsend's Warbler
12. Bewick's Wren
13. Rock Pigeon
14. Killdeer (call)
15. Canada Goose (call)
16. American Goldfinch
17. Sharp-shinned Hawk
18. Lesser Goldfinch
19. Oak Titmouse
20. White-crowned Sparrow
21. Golden-crowned Sparrow
22. California Towhee
23. Dark-eyed Junco
24. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
25. Northern Mockingbird
26. Black Phoebe
27. Anna's Hummingbird
28. Red-shouldered Hawk (call)

Last edited:
Only recently joined, and only just saw this thread! List of birds seen and heard from my backyard this year (1 Jan. 2017 to now):

1. California Scrub-Jay
2. Chestnut-backed Chickadee
3. Eurasian Collared-Dove
4. House Finch
5. Purple Finch
6. Hermit Thrush
7. American Robin
8. American Crow
9. Common Raven
10. Yellow-rumped Warbler
11. Townsend's Warbler
12. Bewick's Wren
13. Rock Pigeon
14. Killdeer (call)
15. Canada Goose (call)
16. American Goldfinch
17. Sharp-shinned Hawk
18. Lesser Goldfinch
19. Oak Titmouse
20. White-crowned Sparrow
21. Golden-crowned Sparrow
22. California Towhee
23. Dark-eyed Junco
24. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
25. Northern Mockingbird
26. Black Phoebe
27. Anna's Hummingbird
28. Red-shouldered Hawk (call)

Nice list ;) Welcome:t:

Yes, welcome GuyinUganda and bphoebe, how about telling us a little bit (or attach a photo) about where you are (near the sea, mountains, wetlands, desert etc) and how big/small your garden/yard is? I for one love sharing others' excitement when an unusual bird turns up so feel free to ramble on from time to time (see Ken's posts for examples of this ;) ).

Yes, welcome GuyinUganda and bphoebe, how about telling us a little bit (or attach a photo) about where you are (near the sea, mountains, wetlands, desert etc) and how big/small your garden/yard is? I for one love sharing others' excitement when an unusual bird turns up so feel free to ramble on from time to time (see Ken's posts for examples of this ;) ).

Hi Richard, I live on a small plot about 4km out of the town of Mbarara, Uganda. Here is a little about Mbarara,
Climate and landscape
Mbarara district receives an average annual rainfall of 1,200mm with two rainy seasons, during the months of February-May and September-December. Temperature ranges between 17°C to 30°C, with a humidity range of 80-90%. The topography is a mixture of fairly rolling and sharp hills and mountains, shallow valleys and flat land. The soils are generally sandy, clay and slightly laterite loams, suitable for cultivation. http://www.mbarara.go.ug

A few pics from our home.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 12688190_600546236766330_2245029471409647764_n.jpg
    12688190_600546236766330_2245029471409647764_n.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_2233.JPG
    DSC_2233.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Great to see, thanks for that. I'm no good at trees and plants (I bet Nutty knows the answer to this question), so what are the trees growing around most of the houses in the middle pic, some sort of palm tree, or coffee (told you I'm hopeless!).

Great to see, thanks for that. I'm no good at trees and plants (I bet Nutty knows the answer to this question), so what are the trees growing around most of the houses in the middle pic, some sort of palm tree, or coffee (told you I'm hopeless!).

It's called matoke, a type of banana for cooking kinda like a plantain. it is the staple food in this part of Uganda.

Actually moved inland from Falmouth - now about 5 miles from the sea. There are distant views of the sea - but realistically only one target species - Gannet, but it will rely on good (excellent) viewing conditions, the right winds (to push them inshore) and luck/persistance!

Persistence rewarded Dan, well done :t:

Two new species for the year (I should really tot them up soon) -

Lesser Black-backed Gull
Gannet !!

Well done!....saw one plunge dive into our local reservoir many years ago (c 45 miles from the nearest coast), methinks it might "even" be a more difficult species to get than "Treeper" :eek!:

Time to take stock after the first two months and compare how the new garden compares to the old one:
At our previous place last year 42 species, at our new house this year 44.
Eight species not seen here so far that I saw/heard at our old house (in italics the ones I strongly doubt I'll see here): Italian Sparrow, Starling, Pheasant, Collared Dove, Lesser Redpoll, Red Kite, Meadow Pipit, Common Kestrel.
Ten seen/heard here so far but not at the old garden by end Feb last year: Common Treecreeper, Tengmalm's Owl, Long-tailed Tit, Common Crossbill, Rock Bunting, Lammergeier, Peregrine Falcon, Marsh Harrier, Yellowhammer, Song Thrush.
Lammergeier the only one never seen/heard at the old house (missed one by being in the fields instead of at home on one occasion!).
The spring and autumn migration periods will bring fewer fly over raptors I suspect, so I'm predicting a year total in the low 80s rather than the 90s.
All good fun anyway :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back