• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly mobbing swallow? (1 Viewer)

Mouldy

skywatcher, dragonhunter
A couple of days back I watched a butterfly following a swallow around the skies in good sunshine, fluttering like mad to stay never much more than a bird's length away from it, swallow didn't make any attempt to catch the insect but the chase went on for some time as the bird glided around the skies.
Couldn't tell what species the butterfly was, just a silhouette at the distance I was observing from but is this common behaviour anyone? whatever, that's what I love about wildlife watching, there's always something new to see and learn.

Cheers

Alan M

Some butterflies can be quite " aggressive " especially when occupying a territory .
I had a Red Admiral regularly fly at me and hit me in the chest in Norfolk a few years ago , and only the other day had a similar experience with a Peacock doing a similar thing

Ashley

Hello Alan,

I don't know of a single butterfly species that could keep up with a Swallow for more than a second, they simply fly too fast. I suppose something like the Hummingbird Hawkmoth could keep up, but I haven't seen or heard any reports of them this year in our neck of the woods.

Regards,

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back