• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"hudsonian" Whimbrel (1 Viewer)

Dougie Preston

I live for this S**T
Does anyone out there know what the latest thinking is on this sub-species?

Have the Americans separated this one already, and how long do you reckon it'll be before the BOU recognize it as a full sp?

There must be a few hopefuls like me who have either seen the Cambrian or the Fair Isle birds, waiting to add this to there lists!

Numenius hudsonicus is recognised by DBA/CSNA, but not yet by AOU, ABA, AERC, BOURC, STC, Dickinson (Howard & Moore) 2003, Gill & Wright (IOC) 2006 or Clements 2007.

When I seen the Fair Isle bird it was resting and didn't call or fly while I was there, so still don't know for myself! Was told they sound just the same by a couple of birders living on Fair Isle, who had heard this bird call frequently.

I still managed to get the dark rump etc with the bird wing flapping and preening, and the head stripes seemed a lot stronger too. Interestingly the bill seemed very long for a Whimbrel as well, much more the length of a Curlew, but there is a lot of size difference in the sexes!

Lawts 2007 does not afford the species separate status.

..............dipped at Barrow-in-Furness! Definately only a sub-species.

for those of you wanting to know if you can tick it...

'marked' genetic differences i think...

plumage differences (hudsonicus showing dark rump and under-wings, unlike the European nominate race with its white rump and under-wings)

calls though are similar in contrast to the many allotaxa in the Scolopacidae treated as separate species”

This is the position of the SACC (South American Classification Committee) of American Ornithologists' Union based Zink et al. (1995) I expect it will be split when they get around to it!

many people must have seen this bird now. Suprised this info isn't more widely known.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back