• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (1 Viewer)

Oh, mate - don't forget that life-sized Sandhill Crane you promised me two years ago if ever one turned up in Sussex! I'll be down for it next weekend, ok? ;)

haha- it's a little longer ago since I last did a life size crane..

Attachments

• 113001381_HWMnT-M-2.jpg
    113001381_HWMnT-M-2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 72
Wonderful, wonderful job! 2D is challenging enough, can't imagine trying to do something like this. Just beautiful.

For all the threats of taking power tools to art this is a time where it undoubtedly worked well. But I have to say that by following it up with those cranes you certainly got me distracted - it's hard not to get fixated on the wonderful cranes.........

immediately on a fresh look I could see it needed a whole lot of meat slicing off its body

shocking really, what you cannot see for looking sometimes

so right hand version is de-lumped by saw, sanded and painted in quick time

Good call, nice result.

Mike

hello all

slightly lost my mojo since the Hobbies departed

but life must go on with lesser life forms

had some fun grappling with a shoveler image from last weekend when the light was bangin': first image was turning out a bit side-on and disappointing with no flex and activity, so to cut it short and salvage something, I scanned it into the computer and put some twist into head and tail and generally woke it up a bit

last attachment is hopefully the makings of a proper painting, of things seen in dead light this weekend- this on a very high tide with a snipe on floating log bobbing in front of grey plover and godwits

Attachments

• q9550firstshoveler DSC_3641 copy 2.jpg
    q9550firstshoveler DSC_3641 copy 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 48
  • q9500revisedshoveler DSC_3641 copy.jpg
    q9500revisedshoveler DSC_3641 copy.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 57
  • q9550snipeDSC_3642 copy.jpg
    q9550snipeDSC_3642 copy.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 53
hello all

slightly lost my mojo since the Hobbies departed

but life must go on with lesser life forms

had some fun grappling with a shoveler image from last weekend when the light was bangin': first image was turning out a bit side-on and disappointing with no flex and activity, so to cut it short and salvage something, I scanned it into the computer and put some twist into head and tail and generally woke it up a bit

last attachment is hopefully the makings of a proper painting, of things seen in dead light this weekend- this on a very high tide with a snipe on floating log bobbing in front of grey plover and godwits

The head twist and the leg lift does add a little something but that's not to say that the original is anything short of wonderful just as it is.

And you're right; The log/godwit/plover/snipe attachment has bags of painting in it!

Mike

And you're right; The log/godwit/plover/snipe attachment has bags of painting in it!

Mike

Have to agree with that. I'm also surprised at the style hear: clean, simple outlines. Have you done many like that? I always so enjoy the quick scribbles that I can't remember if I've ever seen ones like this from you before. They are elegant and striking in their own very different way.

Great work, Ed! It's especially nice to see shovelers here on BF, and especially when they're done as well as this. That bil an head angle you've tackled is a real bxxxxr to get anywhere near right, and this is. I like the simple brush strokes for the water surface, too - very effective.

Russ

Snipe says "Oi, watch where you're pointing that thing" - look forward to seeing how this nice mixed group develops.

Mike

hello all

the watercolour effort at these was another splash and burn I'm sad to report: so that's a 2/2 failure rate so far on the watercolour project

glad I bought small tubes..harder than it looks!

below is a very quick redo on canvas just to salvage something of the idea from the weekend- with godwit's beak positioned at a less invasive angle

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_3649 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3649 copy.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back