• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual sighting today (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can you spot our unusual sighting at Trittiford Mill Pond today?

Attachments

• 8773C6EF-0F00-4234-AA2B-78420ADEDCAC.jpeg
    8773C6EF-0F00-4234-AA2B-78420ADEDCAC.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 59
I can spot a 'Blue Breasted Homo Erectus' to the right.....?

With white plimsoles may I add ! .....very rare species at the moment

Hello both,

The cormorant is resident at the moment, so not unusual.

The human also not unusual - although I agree about the footwear!

Is that a turtle on the fallen log, underneath the cormie?

Hi delia

It is and quite a big one! Photo below! I had heard rumours of escaped/ dumped animals living in various waterways. But did not expect to find one in my local park.

Anyone know the species? If so would it have survived a Birmingham, UK winter? Or will it have been recently “dumped”?

Attachments

• 0DF883CF-3CD3-4E1A-B3B7-279194D596DB.jpeg
    0DF883CF-3CD3-4E1A-B3B7-279194D596DB.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 21
LOL Terrapin of course... had turtle on my brain from Oz and couldn't think of anything else!!

Well .. gone a bit brain dead with this lockdown business (well that's my excuse anyway;))

Do you mean I was on the right track Julie? I'm gobsmacked!!

Fond of waterbirds eggs and young as well as fish and frogs! Many were released after the Mutant Hero Ninja Turtle thingamyjig craze. Had quite a few in Berkshire, even in the Thames. Also, many similar red eared Terrapins were sold and subsequently released. Ideally should be removed by local authority as an alien species, damaging native wildlife but hey ho.

Can age to 40 years, I'd guess upwards of 20 years young.

Last edited:
I do not think under the current circumstances they will consider a terrapin a high priority - but you have a point - I’ll flag it to the council!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back