• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

Pretty quiet on the patch lately.
Female Cuckoos heard calling several times on Tuesday
Male Cuckoos heard from my garden early mornings while checking the moth trap. Others heard and seen on the patch.
Cetti's Warblers still very vocal around Tapenhall and Linacre bridge
2 Coots with growing young on Tapenhall pool

highlight for 1/2 hr this evening,Buzzard hovering a couple of times over the reeds until moved on by crows, Pied and Grey wagtail,Heron .Stock Dove on church tower.

Good to see two separate Gtr Spotted Woodpecker nests with fledglings showing at one. One nest just down from Linacre Bridge on the right of the towpath, then further down on the left, in the dead stand of tree on the left before the flyover. 2 Lapwings showing well by the muddy patch near the ‘bridge to nowhere’, the cetti singing there as usual. DC

My highlights over the last two evenings. Cuckoo calling both evening. Ragged looking Raven. Grey wagtail

Attachments

• 20200524_190751-1.jpg
    20200524_190751-1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
Off to Coney for the first time tomorrow, now we can drive to take our exercise. Really excited as I love warblers and have not had access to any spots where I could see any, living in Birmingham! Would also love to see a cuckoo.

Anyone got any tips? Intend to park in the churchyard, and turn straight round again if looks busy!

Thanks J

Off to Coney for the first time tomorrow, now we can drive to take our exercise. Really excited as I love warblers and have not had access to any spots where I could see any, living in Birmingham! Would also love to see a cuckoo.

Anyone got any tips? Intend to park in the churchyard, and turn straight round again if looks busy!
Thanks J

Hi Julie

I saw one of 2 Cuckoos calling near Mildenham Farm early this morning in a large dead tree.The Sedge and Reed warblers were in full song & very visible in the reeds. Green Woodpecker near Salwarpe & lots of Chiffchaff singing away. Grey Wagtail pair near bridge towards Droitwich. Little Owl on hay bails in a meadow.

If you look at my gallery you will see one of The Sedge Warblers and one of the Wagtails. The Green Woodpecker had been on the bridle way sign until the squirrel pushed him off. I also saw a Red Kite again above the A449 nearby.

Over the last week their has been loads of bird activity. As Rob Williams says - get there early and it's not too busy but getting towards 10am... there were anglers, runners and walkers....but not to bad. No one except birders go into Coney reed beds.....lots of Buntings and Whitethroats.

Weather has been beautiful and everywhere looks glorious....what more could you want?

Lesser Whitethroat Coney Meadow carrying food this morning.
Spotted Flycatcher again yesterday near the church.
Cuckoos, Swifts and House Martins over plus the usual Warblers, Grey Heron.

Hi all, great morning at Coney with a walk to the woods also. Any idea on ID of last photo?

Great tit
Crow
Wood pigeon
Reed warbler
Reed bunting
Dunnock
Cuckoo - on the big dead tree!
Kingfisher
Blue tit
Grey wagtail
Swift

Attachments

• F3A51C46-9A14-48F7-BA59-C52467CDC6E3.jpeg
    F3A51C46-9A14-48F7-BA59-C52467CDC6E3.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 0E57DA8D-BB03-4ECF-A998-0B48827CEB0F.jpeg
    0E57DA8D-BB03-4ECF-A998-0B48827CEB0F.jpeg
    596.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 15BEF81B-8AEE-4082-9102-B9043622ECA6.jpeg
    15BEF81B-8AEE-4082-9102-B9043622ECA6.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 82AFECA1-9119-4F57-B467-5EBDDB180A82.jpeg
    82AFECA1-9119-4F57-B467-5EBDDB180A82.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Looks like a Sedge Warbler in the pic.

On my walk today:

1 Lapwing
2 singing Cetti's
3 or 4 Cuckoos
Reed and Sedge Warblers
2 Lesser Whitethroats plus several Common Whitethroats
Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps
Swan with cygnets
Swallows, House Martins and Swifts
Reed Buntings
Buzzards, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk
Great Spotted Woodpeckers
Juvenile Treecreeper

Insects included Blue tailed, Large Red and Azure Damselflies

Hi all, great morning at Coney with a walk to the woods also. Any idea on ID of last photo?

Great tit
Crow
Wood pigeon
Reed warbler
Reed bunting
Dunnock
Cuckoo - on the big dead tree!
Kingfisher
Blue tit
Grey wagtail
Swift

Looks like a worthwhile visit Julie.

Glad you saw the Cuckoo on the dead tree.....must be a favourite spot for him. I went early this morning and saw another Cuckoo (could have been the same one) further towards the A449.

Next time you go, there is a Cettis Warbler at bridge 3 singing beautifully and very visible and one between Bridges 4-5 and also got the call of a Spotted Flycatcher at bridge 5.

The Reed Warblers are a joy and plenty of Blackcaps calling loudly.

The irises and wild flowers are also special (I put a couple more photos on user gallery - Sedge Warbler in mono and bee on irises).

All the best

Last edited:
Hi

Are the bridges numbered from the church towards the Droitwich Woods or do they go the other way?

Thanks J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back