• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

I know that many recordings of background noise are obtained from library sounds. A friend in tv told me why they do this but I can’t for the life of me remember the reason.
It’s why winter scenes have Common Swift screaming past and other out of season sounds.
It may be just a recording marked “Spain” and therefore was from another time and place.
As Pep says, Red-necked nightjar are very scarce here, I have been to many suitable sites throughout the migration times but never heard one.
There are a handful of records from the islands like Cabrera but I don’t recall a mainland Mallorca record.
Mike

The recent first series of “The Mallorca Files” (a diverting watch if you have the time) has bee-eaters calling in just about every outdoor scene!

Stew

I had better watch a few of these tv programmes, I’m obviously missing out.
I was hot on your heels today Gregor, I was there just after you. What a shame we didn’t get to say hello.
It was a great day out for us as it’s been a while since I got up north.
I can’t wait for the reserve to re-open, I need so many species for the year including flaming Willow Warbler!
Perhaps we will meet before you depart,
Mike

Still some nice migrants in the north of Mallorca, including Golden Oriole, Spotted Flycatcher, Reed Warbler, and Sedge Warbler.

I regret to comment that s'Albufera will not be fully open next week (sorry, Mike!), only the main roads, but not the observatories or the vast majority of infrastructure for public use.

Finally, commenting that the Hare is not a rare mammal in Mallorca, it is relatively easy to see in many places, and it has obviously not become extinct in recent decades. There is a lot of literature about it, although I don't know if it is also in English. As Martin very well pointed out, the species here is Lepus granatensis ssp solisi. Much more abundant is the Pine Marten, without going any further this week I have seen several looking for their food in the reeds of s'Albufera, it is a great opportunist!

I had better watch a few of these tv programmes, I’m obviously missing out.
I was hot on your heels today Gregor, I was there just after you. What a shame we didn’t get to say hello.
It was a great day out for us as it’s been a while since I got up north.
I can’t wait for the reserve to re-open, I need so many species for the year including flaming Willow Warbler!
Perhaps we will meet before you depart,
Mike

What a shame to have missed you Mike! Hopefully we can meet at some point, I'll feel more relaxed about being out from next week onwards so I'm intent on spending as much time out birding as possible, hopefully our paths will cross!

I went to the fields again this evening to look for the Red-rumped Swallows, and quickly got brief views of five of them, the fifth consecutive day they've showed there. It seems very possible that they may be breeding nearby, I wasn't here in the summer last year but saw 7 or 8 together in the same place in late April 2019.

The other bird of note was a Black Kite associating with the Booted Eagles, Red Kites and Peregrine hunting over the fields, yet another in what has been an incredible Spring for them here.

Attachments

• 2005bk.jpg
    2005bk.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 53
On my now daily walk round the salt pans, I noticed nest building and courtship behavior by a few of the 120 Greater Flamingoes present.
The same thing happened last year but without success.
You never know though.
Also, two Glossy ibis, huge amounts of Shelduck, Avocet and Black-winged stilts with so many young in evidence. Without counting, I would say it’s been a very successful breeding season.
A Honey Buzzard flew through and this insect was on the path, is it some kind of mole-cricket?

Attachments

• 6DB074D9-DE10-412C-B633-2B6CDB752EAA.jpg
    6DB074D9-DE10-412C-B633-2B6CDB752EAA.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 61
Many thanks Martin
That’s exactly what I have been after for some time now.
I couldn’t find a full list anywhere.
Excellent and for the record, I have recently seen Pine marten in Mondragó but I have never seen Genetta.
Mike

Thanks Mike.

The first place I saw Genet was on Cabrera, on the 'football pitch' - in the headlights of the vehicle we were in on the way to checking the moth traps.

The next was on the jetty while we were waiting for the boat to take us back to Mallorca. It had been trapped and was going off for a health check and then to be released (not sure if was on Mallorca or the mainland).

Thanks Martin.
Just a note for anyone visiting the salt pans at the weekend, a micro-light aircraft flies over regularly now, no doubt looking for anyone lying on the beach or Birdwatching, both of which are prohibited until Monday.
When I saw it I was right in the middle of the Marsh. I looked around for somewhere to hide but there was nowhere!
The micro-light buzzed past reminding me of a scene from “The Prisoner”, for anyone old enough to remember that.
We should be ok as from Monday, Mike

Nine Honey Buzzard through the north today and one Black Kite.
Thanks to Juanjo.
The weather has now settled so migration has slowed but there are still good birds around.
I’m looking forward to going to my local lighthouse from Monday. Watching seabirds from my balcony has been tiresome, they are just so far away.
Hopefully I will catch sight of a Storm petrel or two but they are difficult.
I have an offer of an evening trip out on a friend’s boat but when I explained what “chumming” was, he didn’t seem too keen.
Don’t understand it personally, can’t beat a bit of stinky old rotting fish to calm the stomach.
We will see.
Mike

What a cracker Maties, a scarce species in Mallorca.
Birding can be very annoying at times.
I have been to Salobrar every day for a week, except today, as I fancied a Slender-billed gull on the first lagoon where I have seen them before.
Today, not one, but a record 22 dropped into that very lagoon.
Found and photographed by Jason, I hope he posts the photo.
Well done to him though,
Mike

What a fantastic photo Maties! And an amazing record Mike. I still haven’t seen a Honey Buzzard this spring, hopefully that will change tomorrow.

The Red-rumped Swallows are still around, I’ve seen them every evening in the same place for more than a week now. It will be fun trying to work out where they’re breeding.

Other than that, it has become a lot quieter here, though I did have two Eleonora’s Falcons and a Bee-eater over the garden today so I can’t complain too much ;)

Evening folks.

A quick few lines before I go to bed. Myself and Elisa gave Salobrar de Campos a once over this evening, and from the Es Trenc road we picked up a group of 24 small gulls circling the distant pans, high and into the sun. All appearing to be adults, and none with black heads, they were looking a lot like Slender-billed Gulls, but we kept an eye on them to see if they dropped in anywhere; 24 is a rather exceptional number! Which they did, onto the first pan as you walk into the site from Fontsanta Hotel. 'Only' 22 were on the water here, but the light was superb on them. Photos below.

Mike, any idea what previous high counts are for this species? They usually only occur in low singles, but I don't know what historic numbers are.

Also of particular note on the pans were a nice party of 20-odd Ringed Plover, a single summer plumaged Knot with 4 Curlew Sandpipers, 5 Turnstones, 2 Greenshank and 4 Ruff, plus my first fledged iberiae Yellow Wagtail and fledged Swallows.

Attachments

• 1C0A0689_edit.JPG
    1C0A0689_edit.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1C0A0754_edit.JPG
    1C0A0754_edit.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 96
Hi Jason
Congratulations, that must be the highest total ever as I can find no records over ones and twos. It’s certainly an extraordinary sighting.
As I said, I have been watching that very lagoon every day recently hoping for a Slender-billed gull.
I’m not sure how I would have reacted if I’d found them, probably rubbed my eyes, thought I was imagining things and walked away!
Maybe somebody else has historical records but I would say it’s an all time record.
I will pop along there now to see if any have lingered.
Well done for the Knot, I think it was there the day before but without a scope, it was very distant so I wasn’t sure.
All the best, Mike

Not very significant but The Birds of the Iberian Peninsula states "They are also rarely recorded in the Balearics although one or two are seen there on passage in some years".
Martin

Last edited:
Needless to say, all the Slender-billed gulls had gone by the time I got there this morning.
A bit disgruntled, I thought I would look in at the salt pans of Colònia de Sant Jordi on the way home.
I’m glad I did, there to greet me was a spanking White-winged tern. What a sublime bird as it performed right in front of me.
I still only managed rubbish photos but I just stood there mesmerized by its beauty, so elegant as it picked mosquitos from the surface of the water.
Sometimes the luck just changes.
Good numbers of Honey Buzzard through the Albercutx tower today.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 31- 5TH-11TH APRIL 2015
I DON'T LIKE THE M1!!
On Sunday we got to the church now being held in the rented shop, and then went off west in the car in an attempt to visit Raixa- another old manor house- but it was closed and so we went back to our old favourite Alfabia which was as beautiful as ever although no birdlife out of the ordinary. I had to return the car so I went to Port d'Alcudia via Can Cuarassa and then Maristany, where a cracking male Little Bittern gave an excellent fly-past. On Monday at the Boquer it was the turn of the Balearic Warblers to be uncooperative- and this holiday I had no sightings. At least a pair of Cirl Buntings and some Crag Martins were showing well. Tuesday was family duty dat with nothing to report of note, and then a trip to Albufera on the Wednesday by bus on a windy day allowed views of the Crested Coots with young, and Ruff and a Water Pipit were nice to see.
On Thursday a hotel tick in the morning as a pair of Griffon Vultures flew slowly past, but not much else was notable, whilst on the Friday our last outing was to Son Real via the bus to Can Picafort, and the Thekla Larks showed well, but no Tawny pipit could be found.
Going home on the Saturday saw us have a meal at the locals' cafe with its great Menu del Dia, and then via a delayed flight and very slow passport checks at LGW but eventually connected with our taxi driver who a) lost his taxi "all the floors in the car park look the same to me" and b) refused to drive up the M1 to Northampton "because it's always crowded" (but not in my experience late on a Saturday evening. He even refused to drive one junction south between 15A and 15 to get from the A43 to the A45,and went through country lanes instead, adding even more time to the journey. Landed LGW 1815- Home in Northampton 2145!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back