• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying To Get Stoats On A Trail Camera (1 Viewer)

tyson

Hi,

Could anyone advise about putting out food for stoats, to get them on my trail camera?

I took an abandoned/lost stoat kit to a rescue recently. It is doing well. I had seen the mum moving the kits but she didn’t come back for this one unfortunately. I was hoping to get a video of the mum with the rest of the kits with my trail camera.

I only realised that stoats are mainly nocturnal recently. I always thought they were mainly out during the day. With hot summer mornings seeming to be the best time to see them for me personally.

Thanks in advance m. I’ve learned so much from this forum 👍

Chris

Hi,

Could anyone advise about putting out food for stoats, to get them on my trail camera?

I took an abandoned/lost stoat kit to a rescue recently. It is doing well. I had seen the mum moving the kits but she didn’t come back for this one unfortunately. I was hoping to get a video of the mum with the rest of the kits with my trail camera.

I only realised that stoats are mainly nocturnal recently. I always thought they were mainly out during the day. With hot summer mornings seeming to be the best time to see them for me personally.

Thanks in advance m. I’ve learned so much from this forum ��

Chris

Stoats are intermittently active 24/7 and are frequently seen during the day especially during summer when females are feeding young and then well grown young are emerging and beginning to learn to hunt.

They are highly carnivorous and are unlikely to be attracted to carrion (not impossible though). Any you put out would have to be after dark as otherwise corvids would find it: in the dark foxes and other mustelids such as Badgers are likely to take it (at least you'd get footage...)

If you have an idea where they are I would try to watch and film them in daylight. Good luck and do report back any success and learning points, we can all do with the benefit of anyone's experience. Pictures/video also welcome!

John

Thanks John & Neil.

It’s a small wood which has badgers & foxes living in it as well. I’ll try early morning to film the stoats myself. Thanks as well for making it clear that stoats are out 24/7(especially at this time of year). That’s good news

I’ll report back with anything I get.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back