• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater in Dhaka?! (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
I had the best surprise of my life yesterday when I found a Wedge-tailed Shearwater from our apartment building in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is actually the first record for the country!!

Super cyclone Amphan has brought in an astounding number of pelagic species, terns, etc
Bangladesh has never really had any pelagic birding trips so many of these were new birds: besides my shearwater, Sooty and Bridled Terns and Wilson's Storm-petrel were all seen by one observer on the river in Rajshahi (western Bangladesh). A few other observers saw some, but not all of those.
Plus a skua (jaeger if you use American names) which some believe has the potential to be Long-tailed which would be another first. If you all want to see, I can post links to FB posts that anyone should be able to view even without an account.

West Bengal has also had an incredible amount of stuff including frigatebirds, Sooty, Bridled, Common, Greater Crested, Lesser Crested, Little, and River terns, Tropicbird (last I heard, probably white-tailed), a possible Swinhoe's Storm Petrel, I think a noddy, and a group of 4 Short-tailed Shearwaters. That's all I know about, but there could possibly be one or two more, or some that haven't been posted yet.

To read more about my surprise check out my latest blog post:https://wordpress.com/block-editor/post/birdingbdandbeyond.wordpress.com/322

You can also check out my eBird checklist if you want: https://ebird.org/checklist/S69416558

Congratulations on an outrageous national first record! Best lockdown bird worldwide by a mile!

Last edited:
I had the best surprise of my life yesterday when I found a Wedge-tailed Shearwater from our apartment building in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is actually the first record for the country!!

Super cyclone Amphan has brought in an astounding number of pelagic species, terns, etc
Bangladesh has never really had any pelagic birding trips so many of these were new birds: besides my shearwater, Sooty and Bridled Terns and Wilson's Storm-petrel were all seen by one observer on the river in Rajshahi (western Bangladesh). A few other observers saw some, but not all of those.
Plus a skua (jaeger if you use American names) which some believe has the potential to be Long-tailed which would be another first. If you all want to see, I can post links to FB posts that anyone should be able to view even without an account.

West Bengal has also had an incredible amount of stuff including frigatebirds, Sooty, Bridled, Common, Greater Crested, Lesser Crested, Little, and River terns, Tropicbird (last I heard, probably white-tailed), a possible Swinhoe's Storm Petrel, I think a noddy, and a group of 4 Short-tailed Shearwaters. That's all I know about, but there could possibly be one or two more, or some that haven't been posted yet.

To read more about my surprise check out my latest blog post:https://wordpress.com/block-editor/post/birdingbdandbeyond.wordpress.com/322

You can also check out my eBird checklist if you want: https://ebird.org/checklist/S69416558

Can you link to the pics in a way that I don't have to join Wordpress or twitter or just post here?

Thanks viator,
I'll start by saying that my experience of seawatching and hence seabirds is very limited but, can someone tell me how Sooty Shearwater is ruled out on shot like this?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back