• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mm4 50ed (1 Viewer)

Yes, it's a very good alternative. I auditioned both side by side, and the mm4 holds its own. I went for the mm4 in the end because I wear spectacles and the eyepieces worked better for me. Full disclosure, I came home with the 60mm which I preferred, deciding it wasn't much bigger than the 50mm.

I've never tried an ED50, but I did a fair bit of internet research on these two scopes before buying my MM4 60mm with SDLv2 zoom earlier this year. One of the things that clinched it for me is that it is very difficult to try a Nikon scope before buying in the UK, as many optics retailers don't sell them. Also, Opticron has a much wider range of eyepieces, as Nikon have discontinued the fixed eyepieces (which are generally considered the best fit for an ED50) and only sell the zoom which, although very sharp, is said to have a narrow FOV. Both MM4 scopes are noticeably heavier than the ED50, but this is partly because they are more solidly built. The Opticrons also have a rotatable tripod collar, which has proved useful to me on numerous occasions. They also have better eye relief, but as I do not wear spectacles, this is not something I took into consideration. Overall the consensus seems to be that good copies of the ED50 and MM4 50 are fairly close optically, but that the MM4 60 has a clear advantage due to its larger objective lens size (but is also larger and heavier). I think that, if I wanted a very lightweight scope for hiking, I would buy an ED50 with a used fixed eyepiece, but for more general use, I think my MM4 60 hits the sweet spot. The choice between ED50 and MM4 50 is a more difficult one, and comes down to smaller size/weight v. better eye relief, tripod collar & eyepiece availability. Oh, and the Opticrons also have a 30 year warranty, and I've heard good things about their customer service. Not sure how Nikon compares in this respect.

I agree to user 'asp09' - knowing the famous ED50 13-40x for some time, but now very often using the little bigger MM4-60. It's not much bigger/heavier than the MM4-50 because of the identical prism housing, but some cm shorter due to the smaller lens (60 vs. 50). Both need a good tripod/video head for stable using, the opticron-tripod was not what I expect in windy conditions.
Please read my way-to-decision in the german optic-forum Jülich with some pictures for the size comparison of the scope and the v2-zoom vs. a 85mm-DiaScope. (Follow the link in the link and my two links in my Jülich-article…)

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3697242&postcount=41

best regards
Manfred

I've had the MM2 for a good while and would like a worthwhile upgrade at the minimum cost. (Don't we all!). I have and will retain the decent fixed HDF eyepiece I have. The MM3 ED 60mm are hard to get hold of as they quickly stopped making them when the MM4 came out. Cost wise my options seem to be MM3 60 non ED £199, MM4 50 ED £329. I wonder which under most viewing conditions will give the most improved viewing experience?

If you want to compare them side by side, there is an optics event at Abberton Reservoir Visitor Centre on Wednesday 21st.

Send Chris Galvin a PM to let him know if you can make it and which models you'd like to try.

If you're considering the MM3 60 ED, Focus Optics appears to have at least one on offer - they may be prepared to split the bundle that it is offered as - https://www.focusoptics.eu/webshop/opticron-telescopes/opticron-mm3-60-ed-package/

Similarly, In Focus at Denby Dale has one in its second hand stock at £299 body only - https://www.at-infocus.co.uk/product/opticron-mm3-60eda-dd/

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hello All,

I am wondering if the GA665 ED version any good when compared to the latest MM4 50, 60 ED versions?

Thanks and regards Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back