• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding the nectar. (1 Viewer)

keithdog

I make my own nectar with sugar and water and have one question. After I make a batch of nectar, should I keep it refrigerated or can it be left at room temp on the kitchen counter? I have been keeping it in the fridge to help keep it fresh and from spoiling too quickly. I don't go through as much nectar as some of you lucky ones do. I read recently that keeping nectar in the fridge could cause the sugar to crystalize.

I boil my homemade nectar then keep it in the fridge for no more than a week and a half in a tightly closed clear plastic jug. This time of year, there are so many hummers than I am going through about 7-1/2 cups of nectar in a day and a half. The jug holds about twice that, which means the nectar isn't even sitting in the fridge for more than three days or so.
I also clean the fridge jug with a bottle brush and very hot water every week to help prevent any bacteria from growing.
When there are fewer hummingbirds, I simply make less nectar to start with, gauging the quantity by how much they are going through in a week's time. I also adjust how much I actually put into the feeders when there are fewer birds to avoid wasting nectar.
Oh, and I've never had a problem with the sugar in the nectar crystallizing, but if that were to happen, you only need to boil it again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back