• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (2 Viewers)

Just a quick question about the pancake lens Neil.

I have the zoom and 30x wide eyepieces, and would like to know how much vignetting you get with each one (and compared with the 45x, which I don't urrently have).

Thanks,
Steve

Very similar shots, but the reduced depth-of-field in the lower photo indicates this was taken with the pancake lens.

Well spotted Allan. Yes , the bottom photo is the Olympus lens. I will continue to use the kit zoom as I get AF when screwed into the DCA adapter and it's nice to have the zoom range. I'm still waiting for a better quality prime around 35/50 mm. Neil.

[
The Panasonic 14-45mm lens takes a 52mm filter; the Pentax SMC XW14 eyepiece needs a 43mm thread. I could not find a single step-down ring that went from 52-43, so I had to do it with two step-down rings: 52-46, then 46-43. It all attaches very solidly (with a significant risk of getting rings stuck on if you are not careful about the torque rotating the camera can apply). However, it results in really huge and horrible vignetting at all focal lengths.

According to SRB-Griturn (www.srb-griturn.com) "if you try to fit a small accessory to a large lens, you may actually cause the image to be cut off (vignetting). Stepping to a smaller size accessory with a wide angle lens is the most risky."

Check out SRB's website for Stepping rings. They have a 43mm/52mm combo (lens/Accessory) but I don't know if this is reversible.

Dennis

Hi all,

First of all sorry for my English that is not the best.

Neil, I have been reading all your post and it’s very interesting, and it seems that the G1 is quite good for digiscoping. I have some doubts about this camera and I’ll be grateful if you can answer me.

1) With the lens 14-45 if I have understood well there aren’t any vignetting with a ocular as x25 or x30 in swaro or kowa, but the speed that you get, it seems that is enough to take good photos (seeing your excellent photos) but the “f” (3.5-5.6) is quite high if you compare with lens 50mm 1.8 from canon-nikon in dslr, what do you think?
2) Another question about this lens is how working the autofocus. You have told us that works perfectly but I’ve seen the AF is external in this lens. Then when you press the button to take a photo, the G1 over the ocular move forward and back until focus well? And if the autofocus is continuous, the camera is moving continuously?
3) And the last point is about the noise that this camera makes when you take a photo. At this moment I’m using a 350D from canon and I like nothing two point, the vibration and the noise from the hit of the mirror. I hope this two point are solved with the G1 but I have read that the G1 is quite noisy when you take a photo, is that true?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards
Nando

Hi all,

First of all sorry for my English that is not the best.

Neil, I have been reading all your post and it’s very interesting, and it seems that the G1 is quite good for digiscoping. I have some doubts about this camera and I’ll be grateful if you can answer me.

1) With the lens 14-45 if I have understood well there aren’t any vignetting with a ocular as x25 or x30 in swaro or kowa, but the speed that you get, it seems that is enough to take good photos (seeing your excellent photos) but the “f” (3.5-5.6) is quite high if you compare with lens 50mm 1.8 from canon-nikon in dslr, what do you think?
2) Another question about this lens is how working the autofocus. You have told us that works perfectly but I’ve seen the AF is external in this lens. Then when you press the button to take a photo, the G1 over the ocular move forward and back until focus well? And if the autofocus is continuous, the camera is moving continuously?
3) And the last point is about the noise that this camera makes when you take a photo. At this moment I’m using a 350D from canon and I like nothing two point, the vibration and the noise from the hit of the mirror. I hope this two point are solved with the G1 but I have read that the G1 is quite noisy when you take a photo, is that true?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards
Nando

Nando,
There is vignetting with the kit lens - a little at wide zoom 14 mm (10%) which disappears at 16 mm and then comes back at 25 mm on an eyepiece with 20 mm of Eye Relief (eg Swaro 30x ). So in 35 mm terms this gives you a range of 32 - 50 mm unvignetted. With the long Eye Relief of the Kowa the unvignetted image is more in the centre of the range (24 -31 mm ).
The 50 mm lens would be equivalent to 100 mm on this camera and you may get more light. I haven't done an accurate test of the kit zoom lens v fixed in same conditions. Mainly because I have a completely different setup using a balance bar with the other lenses and it takes some time to set up. The quality should be better with a fixed eyepiece which is much more important than the shutter speed which is good at the higher iso.
The AF is internal to the lens so you don't have to worry. That's how I can screw the DCA adapter straight into the front filter thread of the lens. It will move when zooming though.
The Canon's are excellent for noise handling , especially the 350D. Have a look at the images here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157613397600969/
Up to iso 400 no noise, at iso 800 there is some but it's easy to get out with Noiseware
The Magpie Robin and Night Heron were taken at iso 800 and I used a little Noiseware .
You don't have to use Mirror Lockup or the Self-timer very often as the vibration is minor. Just focus the scope close and let the AF do the rest.
Neil

Attachments

• TEST G1 iso comp.jpg
    TEST G1 iso comp.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 466
  • magpie robin male G1 iso800 14mm nware_1070078.jpg
    magpie robin male G1 iso800 14mm nware_1070078.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 397
  • bc night heron G1 sw30x iso800 18mm_1120337.jpg
    bc night heron G1 sw30x iso800 18mm_1120337.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Thank you for your answer. Only one thing more, is this camera quite noisy taking photos? I’m speaking about the sound that this camera makes (not the noise in the image) I ask you about it because for me it’s quite important if I buy a the G1to replace my old camera (350d), to reduce the sound that the camera making photos.

Thank you

Best Regards
Nando

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your answer. Only one thing more, is this camera quite noisy taking photos? I’m speaking about the sound that this camera makes (not the noise in the image) I ask you about it because for me it’s quite important if I buy a the G1to replace my old camera (350d), to reduce the sound that the camera making photos.

Thank you

Best Regards
Nando

Nando,
It is noisier than a little digicam but much quieter than my Nikon D3. It is a "dull" sound so not as easy to hear as a DSLR.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thank you for all your explanation!!!! In summary, this camera seems very very good in general and quite good for digiscoping.
I think I’m going to buy it, but I don’t know if it’s worth waiting for a decrease of price from the new GH1.

Best Regards
Fernando

I've just been down to Singapore for a few days and took the G1 with me. I spent some time at the Jurong Bird Park and the Botanical Gardens where there is a nesting colony of Cattle Egrets. Here are some images with the G1. Neil.

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x and DCA adapter

Jurong Bird Park,
Singapore.
April 2009

Attachments

• cattle egret breed G1_1300042.jpg
    cattle egret breed G1_1300042.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 399
  • great billed heron adjG1_1280065.jpg
    great billed heron adjG1_1280065.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 360
  • cattle egret breed G1 nik20mm adj_1280166.jpg
    cattle egret breed G1 nik20mm adj_1280166.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 451
  • whistling duck adj G1_1270820.jpg
    whistling duck adj G1_1270820.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 367
The G1 comes into it's own when following feeding waders out on the mudflats. The AF is so fast it can lock on even when a Terek Sandpiper is twisting and turning as it chases small crabs around in circles. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,
April 2009

Attachments

• terek sandpiper feed mudflats G1 orig_1310205.jpg
    terek sandpiper feed mudflats G1 orig_1310205.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 402
  • terek sandpiper feed mudflats G1 crop_1310205.jpg
    terek sandpiper feed mudflats G1 crop_1310205.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 562
  • terek sandpiper feed G1_1310036.jpg
    terek sandpiper feed G1_1310036.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 369
Super shots. No sign of haze problems that you often get in long range shots. I suspect that this is close to as good as it gets with digiscoping.

The G1 comes into it's own when following feeding waders out on the mudflats. The AF is so fast it can lock on even when a Terek Sandpiper is twisting and turning as it chases small crabs around in circles. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,
April 2009

Dave,
This was a good distance of 25 - 30 metres. It doesn't often get this good here. Neil

I've just taken the plunge and bought a G1 it should arrive tomorrow.
I've only used the Nikon 8400 and P5100 before.
Could anyone give some advice on the settings that I should use for digiscoping?
Thanks in advance.

I've just taken the plunge and bought a G1 it should arrive tomorrow.
I've only used the Nikon 8400 and P5100 before.
Could anyone give some advice on the settings that I should use for digiscoping?
Thanks in advance.

Martin,
You will use similar settings as with the 8400.
Neil.

Hello,

Lumix G1 owners, how do you like this camera for other types of photography? Looks like a great dual use camera vs. a camera to keep with the scope bag/case.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back