• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (2 Viewers)

Meanwhile, in other news, the Deans are now at 734+2 (Gaylee) and 734+1 (Richard), tying Jay Lehman for the 15th spot all-time.
The McQuades are at 717+3. Next up for them is Sandy Komito at 722.

Joe

So where are the bets on 49 more - following 32 plus another 17?

Great Cormorant
Purple Sandpiper
Least Grebe
Audubon's Oriole
Short-tailed Hawk
Dovekie
Boreal Owl
Java Sparrow
Red-crested Cardinal
Oahu Amakihi
White-rumped Shama
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
White Tern
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Maui Alauahio
Hwamei
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl
Gray-backed Tern
Indian Peafowl
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Akohekohe
Maui Parrotbill
Akekee
Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush
Akikiki

All the best

In 2016 he got between 1.9.-31.12. outside Hawaii:
- 3 Code 1-2's
- 7 Code 3-5's from Alaska
- 12 Code 3-5's from elsewhere

He's still missing a lot of Code 3's from Alaska (list in post #138) and he's doing an additional Hawaii pelagic, so I think the chances are quite good.

Because John reads this, here's his missing from Continental species list (Hawaii only). He must have seen e.g. Leach's Storm-Petrel during Searcher pelagic, so I hope he informs us which are still missing.

Spotted Dove (2)
White-tailed Tropicbird (2)
Red-tailed Tropicbird (3)
Mottled Petrel (2)
Bulwer’s Petrel (3)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (2)
Leach’s Storm Petrel (1)
Great Frigatebird (3)
Red-footed Booby (2)
Short-eared Owl (1)
Eurasian Skylark (2)

John had Wryneck, Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, Little Bunting and Rufous tailed Robin in first four hours on Gambell.

Also Siberian Accentor " first for year".

John had Wryneck, Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, Little Bunting and Rufous tailed Robin in first four hours on Gambell.

Also Siberian Accentor " first for year".

Interesting - it appears that Pallas's GW was on 9th and Middendorff's reported on ebird for the 8th. Seems like the Deans may have got both (certainly the MGW). Have the McQuades already left?

Also Spectacled Eider seen on Gambell, perhaps John finally filled that gap as well.

Interesting - it appears that Pallas's GW was on 9th and Middendorff's reported on ebird for the 8th. Seems like the Deans may have got both (certainly the MGW). Have the McQuades already left?

Also Spectacled Eider seen on Gambell, perhaps John finally filled that gap as well.

Some pretty mouthwatering checklists out there with photos of both Groppers:-

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L246497?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59630279

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59655181

The bookies are making this odds on? But a horrible lull could still derail it...........?

Where are the links to John's sightings?

All the best

Last edited:
The McQuades had already left. Dave rolled down a ravine and sprained his ankle. St. Paul on crutches should be tricky...
The Deans added ten and nine species on Gambell (Dick missed the Little Bunting). The Wryneck showed up while they waited for the plane.
John is pretty jacked, as one can imagine! His flight was nearly cancelled due to fog, but he got there at 6pm and racked up the birds right away.

Paul: John posted last night's sightings on Facebook.

Joe

Last edited:
John is very happy!

https://birdingyear.com/best-three-hours-of-aba-birding-ever-might-just-be/

And going to St Paul. Now on 793, +30 -73

And that certainly comes through in that write up! Thanks for the link.

And I agree with him on Wrynecks.

(In the topsy turvy world of listing where everything counts as one, I spent a week chasing round Cornwall for Brown Booby photos to miss Wryneck on my patch for my year list. Thankfully we do get one or two every few years.)

All the best

While waiting for the transition to St Paul, I've compiled a list of John's species of which he has not photographed.

He's got pictures of 752 species and is missing the following 41 already observed species:

Code 1
White-winged Scoter
Mountain Quail
Northern Bobwhite
Common Poorwill
White-throated Swift
Costa’s Hummingbird
King Rail
Wilson’s Phalarope
Parasitic Jaeger
Northern Goshawk
Barn Owl
Northwestern Crow
Evening Grosbeak
Purple Finch
Le Conte’s Sparrow

Code 2
Montezuma Quail
Spotted Dove
Mangrove Cuckoo
Mexican Whip-poor-will
Yellow Rail
Black Rail
Arctic Loon
Red-footed Booby
Flammulated Owl
Whiskered Screech-Owl
Black-backed Woodpecker
Greater Pewee
Henslow’s Sparrow

Code 3-5
Long-toed Stint
Slaty-backed Gull
Fea’s Petrel
Cook’s Petrel
Great Frigatebird
Zenaida Dove
White-tailed Eagle
Siberian Accentor
Antillean Palm-Swift

Hawaii only
Black Francolin (2)
Hawaiian Hawk (2)
Japanese Bush-Warbler (2)
Apapane (2)

There is at least one error, because there was a photo of Cook's Petrel on his blog post but it's not on his list.

Question to those who know ABA area better: how many of those are still possible? Of course some rarities won't be seen again and I would imagine that rails, nightjars and owls are very difficult but has he missed some migrants also?

John's predicted tick-fest does not seem to have materialised yet on St Paul.

I assume he has picked up Sharp-tailed Sand. The Jack Snipe seems to have gone AWOL.

Seems an OBP has been found so perhaps not all lost yet.

Any news on the Boreal Owl?

He also seems to have missed opportunities for both Spectacled & Seller's Eiders. Where can he pick these up? Is he going to Barrow for Ross's Gull (Ivory as well?).

Am I right in saying that Grey-headed Chickadee is not possible?

In other news, we have a sixth member of the 700 Club: Amanda Damin got the there on a Bar Harbor pelagic with the Deans. I’ve been told that she wanted to wait until she actually got there before she’d send her list. Looking forward to adding her in!

Joe

While waiting for the transition to St Paul, I've compiled a list of John's species of which he has not photographed.

He's got pictures of 752 species and is missing the following 41 already observed species:

Code 1
White-winged Scoter
Mountain Quail
Northern Bobwhite
Common Poorwill
White-throated Swift
Costa’s Hummingbird
King Rail
Wilson’s Phalarope
Parasitic Jaeger
Northern Goshawk
Barn Owl
Northwestern Crow
Evening Grosbeak
Purple Finch
Le Conte’s Sparrow

Code 2
Montezuma Quail
Spotted Dove
Mangrove Cuckoo
Mexican Whip-poor-will
Yellow Rail
Black Rail
Arctic Loon
Red-footed Booby
Flammulated Owl
Whiskered Screech-Owl
Black-backed Woodpecker
Greater Pewee
Henslow’s Sparrow

Code 3-5
Long-toed Stint
Slaty-backed Gull
Fea’s Petrel
Cook’s Petrel
Great Frigatebird
Zenaida Dove
White-tailed Eagle
Siberian Accentor
Antillean Palm-Swift

Hawaii only
Black Francolin (2)
Hawaiian Hawk (2)
Japanese Bush-Warbler (2)
Apapane (2)

There is at least one error, because there was a photo of Cook's Petrel on his blog post but it's not on his list.

Question to those who know ABA area better: how many of those are still possible? Of course some rarities won't be seen again and I would imagine that rails, nightjars and owls are very difficult but has he missed some migrants also?

He may have photo-ops for Northern Goshawk and Slaty-backed Gull on St Paul Island this week. He will easily get photos of Great Frigatebird, Red-footed Booby and Spotted Dove in Hawaii, plus good ops for the other 4 listed, although in 2016 neither of us got pics of Black Francolin - we always saw them on the road while driving. All of the code one are year round residents and doable if he has time. Most of the code 2 will be around through the rest of the year, the exception being Flammulated Owl which at this point I wouldn’t bother to try for. The rails and nightjars would require the most effort- he could ride a combine harvesting rice in Louisiana in November and have a shot at photographing Yellow Rail as I did.

Laura Keene

Has anyone been following John Weigel's Big Year attempt #2?
http://birdingyear.com/the-list-so-far/

He has not updated his blog since mid March, but has updated his species list and there are some things I find hard to understand. I have never been to USA, but shouldn't the spring be the best birding time there also? In John's list there are several days gaps with no new species, and he still lacks huge numbers of Code 1 and Code 2 species. Like no new species 25.-26. and 28.-29. of April. What could that be about?

If my spreadsheet is correct, he has 45 coded birds + 2 provisionals so far. Birds are in chronological order, sorry.

Code 3:
Hook-Billed Kite
Clay-cloured Trush
Tropical Parula
Aplomado Falcon
Rufous-backed Robin
American Flamingo
Smooth-billed Ani
Fork-tailed Flycatcher
Ruddy Ground-Dove
Rose-throated Becard
Tundra Bean Goose
Brambling
Little Gull
Morelet's Seedeater
Shiny Cowbird
Great Skua
Western Spindalis
La Sagra's Flycatcher
Ruff
McKay's Bunting
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl
Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse
Palila
Red-tailed Tropicbird
Juan Fernandez Petrel
Hawaiian Petrel
Bulwer's Petrel
Akiapolaau
Hawaii Creeper
Hawaii Akepa
Masked Booby
Cook's Petrel

Code 4:
Pink-Footed Goose
Fieldfare
Golden-crowned Warbler
Red-flanked Bluetail
White-throated Trush
Dusky Warbler
Crimson-collared Grosbeak
Yellow Grosbeak
Thick-billed Vireo
Garganey
Key West Quail-Dove
Bahama Mockingbird

Code 5:
Great Black Hawk

Provisional:
Dark-Billed Cuckoo
Long-legged Buzzard

He has dipped (according to blog updates) at least following coded species:
Code 3:
Whooper Swan - Adak, Alaska
Tufted Duck - North Carolina
Black-headed Gull - Philadelphia
Black-capped Gnatcatcher - Arizona
Rufous-capped Warbler - Arizona

Code 4:
Barnacle Goose - Philadelphia, Chicago
White-tailed Eagle - St Paul, Alaska
Roadside Hawk - Texas
Blue Bunting - Texas
Bananaquit - Florida

Also, the photo has to be diagnostic- his photo of the Buff-collared Nightjar is only eyeshine. I had videos with the eyeshine and vocalizations of the Buff-collared Nightjar, Common Poorwill, Mexican Whip-poor-will, and Eastern Whip-poor-will that don't count.

Laura Keene

John's predicted tick-fest does not seem to have materialised yet on St Paul.

I assume he has picked up Sharp-tailed Sand. The Jack Snipe seems to have gone AWOL.

Seems an OBP has been found so perhaps not all lost yet.

Any news on the Boreal Owl?

He also seems to have missed opportunities for both Spectacled & Seller's Eiders. Where can he pick these up? Is he going to Barrow for Ross's Gull (Ivory as well?).

Am I right in saying that Grey-headed Chickadee is not possible?

Steller's were seen in Gambell last week, he may not have updated. He could also photograph Steller's Eider while on St Paul Island, and Spectacled Eider when he goes to Barrow for Ross's Gull. He got Gray-headed Chickadee in November 2016 outside of Kotzebue, Alaska so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries that spot again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back