• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting Full 9. Vols of BWP (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Hi everyone, where can I get the full 9 Vols. of the Birds of the Western Palearctic for as cheap as possible or/and as a set?

Jake . said:
Hi everyone, where can I get the full 9 Vols. of the Birds of the Western Palearctic for as cheap as possible or/and as a set?

All 9 volumes for sale on eBay - starting price £275 - no bids as yet.

Rob Smallwood said:
All 9 volumes for sale on eBay - starting price £275 - no bids as yet.

Try
www.birdbooksdirect.com .....they have a set for sale at £450....not cheap but hard to get hold of.

Also try www.Abebooks.co.uk ....you need to put in the full title to search here, ie. 'Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa'.....single vols come up first and full sets in later pages.

paj

Re "Abebooks" you could search on "Palearctic" and sort in descending price order - but watch the sets comprising of part RSPB and part other editions as the dust jackets won't match.

Ebay still looks the cheaper option.

Jake . said:

If I weer you I'd have a look at the full set and the concise edition and see if you think you'll really get much use out of the full set.
The concise edition (2 volume set) retails for about £50 and has stacks of detail in it. I have both this and the full version and confess that the full version gets very little use these days.

Good advice - as is Tim's - building up the set can be quite good fun, and you will pay a fraction of the price - but be warned - some volumes can be very hard to find!

postcardcv said:
If I weer you I'd have a look at the full set and the concise edition and see if you think you'll really get much use out of the full set.
The concise edition (2 volume set) retails for about £50 and has stacks of detail in it. I have both this and the full version and confess that the full version gets very little use these days.

I fully agree; my full set mostly just sits on the shelf, whereas the concise edition gets considerable use. Not to mention the vast improvement in the plates!

I got a couple of volumes this week from Rhos Point Books(01492 545236). He still had vols 2,4,7,8 & 9 still boxed in mint condition for £10 each & P & P earlier this week

markgrubb said:
What's the difference between the two-or is it just cosmetic?

The wrappers are different but the contents are the same. I also think there is the RSPB logo on the cloth spine. If you have several OUP editions and several RSPB editions the mix will look decidedly odd.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back