• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Euryceros prevostii (1 Viewer)

Susan Manchester

I was looking up the bird artist Alphonse Prevost for prevostii (before I found out that this bird was named for Florent Prevost), and I found a book called
Voyage autour du Monde . Histoire du Voyage. Atlas [ . Histoire naturelle, Botanique. Atlas]. This is a book about the circumnavigation of La Coquille, and the authors are Louis Isidore Duperrey, Alphonse Prevost, Jean-Gabriel Pretre and Antoine-Germain Bevalet. Did these artists go on the voyage, or just make illustrations from specimens brought back from the voyage?

You should be able to find "Voyage autour du monde: exécuté par ordre du roi sur La Corvette" in Google Books; it's by Duperrey and the title page (about 140 pages in) describes him as "Commandant de l'expédition".

It doesn't mention the other three in your list, but then it's almost entirely about records of weather and longitude.

The artist Pretre’s natural history drawings are everywhere he was very prolific. But I cannot find out that much about him like for instance if he went on any voyages. Jean Gabriel Pretre of Swiss origin arrived in Paris at the beginning of the 19th century. Pretre had been a pupil of the celebrated flower painter Gerard van Spaendonck (1746-1832) Jean Gabriel Pretre (1780~1845) was painter of natural history at Empress Josephine's menagerie at Malmaison and later became artist to the Museum of Natural History.
J.G PRÊTRE Best known for his renderings for the Egyptian Commission sent by Napoleon, was the official painter for the French natural history museum.
A lot of voyages like Marcgrave in Brasil and Captain Cook’s had artists traveling with them. However, from the little information I can find I believe that he drew these pictures from live animals or birds brought back to France or from skins. Looking in books about bird books might help, Anker, Nissen, .

On the other hand; BEVALET (Antoine-Germain), natural history painter, r. St.-Jacques, 132, not in Paris in 1779, has not had a master. In a travel around the world, he made during the years 1817, 1818, 1819 and 182o of the corvette tUranie , commanded by Captain Fressinet, he drew and painted fish, crustaceans, reptiles and utensils wild . In a similar trip he made by order of King, from 1822 to 1825, on the corvetteCoquille , commanded by Captain Duperré, he also drew and painted fish, reptiles, birds, shells and jellyfish. He is also the drawings of Y Natural History of Hummingbirds , by M. Lesson. All these books were written by Mr. Coutant. Its various productions were admitted to exp. 1812, 1819 and 1822, as well as that of 183o at Lux. He gives private lessons.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qI8ZAAAAYAAJ&dq=Antoine-Germain+Bevalet&source=gbs_navlinks_s .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back