• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Excursion - have I missed a trick? (1 Viewer)

Glosbirder

Gentleman Antiquarian
Today I bought a pair of 8x42 Excursions from Ace in Bath; they seemed the best value in terms of image quality for my budget, I was especially impressed with the FoV.

However I wonder if I've missed a trick in that the FoV of the 10x42 is the same as many 8x42 binos. Would the 10x suffer from less shake as a result/

Your thoughts please

Happy New Year to all

No ... shake is just a function of the magnification. The amount the bird bounces around has no relation to the size of the FOV or AFOV.

The FOV only determines how much of the picture you see. e.g. with your naked eye you see the same amount of shake looking through a toilet roll tube as not looking through the tube.

The decent sized 6.5 degree FOV (IIRC) just helps find and keep the birds in view.

Today I bought a pair of 8x42 Excursions from Ace in Bath; they seemed the best value in terms of image quality for my budget, I was especially impressed with the FoV.

However I wonder if I've missed a trick in that the FoV of the 10x42 is the same as many 8x42 binos. Would the 10x suffer from less shake as a result/

Your thoughts please

Happy New Year to all

Shake is a function of how steady your hands are, magnification and the ease with which the binoculars are held. Whether you could hold a 10x or 12x binocular steady enough to deliver a useful image can really only be determined by trying them in a test. If the FOV is truly the same then the 10x glasses will deliver an impressive field. You might give them a try.

I tend to agree with the others and believe you made the right choice by going with the 8x's. That huge field of view most certainly is addictive and will definitely help you track birds much more easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back