• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Was they released for shooting purposes?

I have spoken to one of the people who were responsible for one of the releases and she said they only target the Red-legged Partridges in the shoot. They released the Greys mainly as an attempt to reintroduce them to the area - although they understood that the habitat and food requirements (especially insects) are more demanding for Greys (one of the reasons RLP's are more 'popular' these days). She mentioned providing 'game crop' set-aside strips and even 'beetle banks' on their land - so, even if they do shoot a few by mistake, hopefully there could be some good environmental side-benefits for a wider range of species. She also said that none of the game birds they shoot are wasted - they all get eaten. Not that much different to any other kind of livestock farming IMO - although others might judge it to be cruel - I, personally, like to take a balanced view on these things.

At the half way point of December the monthly total stands on a meagre 75 species, no doubt added by the lack of coverage of the last week due to the adverse weather. The immediate target is the lowest ever monthly total for reserve (81 species). Possible additions in the next 16 days include (year ticks in bold):

Pintail, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Bittern, Red Kite, Peregrine, Merlin, Jack Snipe, Redshank, Woodcock, GBBG Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Grey Wagtail, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Brambling, Linnet, Yellowhammer

Treecreeper along the Salwarpe this morning.

Todays work party at MOORS

I wasn't expecting the large turn out that we had today,
21 of us !!!. And 6 lots of cake:eat::t:
Many thanks to the crew, we achieved a massive amount considering the conditions and the inability to do any of the planned work in the water (iced over). With so many people present and all eager to get on with it... apologies for the slow start I get there in the end. 8-P
Thanks to Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Graham L. Ian Jon. Ian Jos. Janet H. Jim B. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C. Steve S. Terry W. Tony B and me.
Once again thanks for cakes and pork pie.
I have had more varities of cake than birds this year.
Another 3 today Banoffee. Orange cake and raspberry and white chocolate . Also stolen two varieties and a selection of mincepies
Thanks to Julie, Ian , Bobby, Jim , Paul and Janet. This was obviously the reason why we achieved so much today ...burning of the excess8-PB :)

Work
1. Created a new feeding station in the plantation of the North Moors. This will be viewed from the north side of the new hide. It will take time to be used but hopefully will adds a new dimension to the new hide and the North Moors in general. The newly cut area was covered in bramble and old brash.. this was then used to screen off the dead hedge along the NM trail
2. Cleared in front of the North Moors viewing screens. The approach to the screens has been heavily planted up with willows. Today several more were woven to form a covered screen ( see photos). The other screen approach was again planted up with willows and woven as a living hedge . When it grows sufficiently we will create the canopy.
In the same area willows were coppiced and the brash was planted between the two screens.
3. The road from the causeway to the East gate was covered in leaf litter and had become very wet and slippery to walk on. Today we scraped this off to make walking easier and also to help our neighbour's from having any misfortune in their car's.
4 we also planted a handful of Hawthorne along the causeway and two large Spindle trees along the west track.
5. cleared around all the saplings planted last year in the NE corner of the North Moors
6. cleared bramble in front of AFJ's bench at the North Moors.

Contractors today cut back some of the large horse chestnut tree opposite the new hide. The reason is that it has some kind of disease that could kill the outer branches, for health and safety reasons they have been cut back. The wood chippings have been used as mulch around our new plants. Some of the larger branches have been used to create log piles.

Pics 1 to 4 show how the area to the right of the new hide has been transformed since early October. The bramble has been cut in the plantation and in the foreground . Spindle and hawthorn saplings have been planted and today (last pic) shows the feeding station as viewed from the right side window.

Attachments

• 5A . NEW FSTN B4 cuttin DSCF0370.jpg
    5A . NEW FSTN B4 cuttin DSCF0370.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 5B 1. How the area looked befor FSTN and Planting DSCF0368.jpg
    5B 1. How the area looked befor FSTN and Planting DSCF0368.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 5C 1. new FSTN NM 19th Dec 17 DSCF0830.jpg
    5C 1. new FSTN NM 19th Dec 17 DSCF0830.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 5D 1. NM fst 19th Dec 17 DSCF0832.jpg
    5D 1. NM fst 19th Dec 17 DSCF0832.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Birding the Moors today

The work went on a bit longer than normal so only birded for the last 2& half hours. With the North Moors frozen solid there wasn't a lot going on during the work. Water rail were regularly heard from all the reed beds and some were coming out of cover to feed including one on the edge of the A38 field and another in front of the new hide. Nothing different on the Moors pool but it was nice to have a Barn Owl fly over the hide late on - 4.44pm.
Species Count:
Mute swan 30. Whooper swan. Greylag 40. Canada geese 80. Shoveler 30+. Teal 51. Gadwall male paired of with a female mallard. Pochard 14. Tufted 15. Little grebe 2. Grey heron. Coot 205 . Water rail c 10. Curlew heard. Lapwing c10 over. ( 200 reported at Flashes). BHG 120. Herring Gull 3. LBBG 5.
Kestrel. Buzzard. BARN OWL.
Green woodpecker. Stock dove.
Skylark. Mistle Thrush 2. Redwing. Fieldfare. Pied wag 2.
Bullfinch. Chaffinch 5. Goldfinch 20. Redpoll. Siskin. Goldcrest 2. Reed bunting 2.

The North Moors screens

Today we opened up the area in front of the viewing screens at the north end of the area. This was completely overgrown it is now cleared and hopefully once the ice has been cleared birds will arrive. The approach to the viewing area has now been planted up with willows and we plan to grow a willow thicket and keep it relative short. This will screen anyone approaching the viewing zones. It will probably take another year to be completed. We will also modify and repair the actual the viewpoints.

Attachments

• 2. NM trail from by west screen 19th Dec 17  DSCF0854.jpg
    2. NM trail from by west screen 19th Dec 17 DSCF0854.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2. screen to screen east 19th Dec 17 DSCF0842.jpg
    2. screen to screen east 19th Dec 17 DSCF0842.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2. screening viewing areas 19th Dec 17 DSCF0850.jpg
    2. screening viewing areas 19th Dec 17 DSCF0850.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2. . wrk cleared in front of east screen NM 19th dec 17 DSCF0849.jpg
    2. . wrk cleared in front of east screen NM 19th dec 17 DSCF0849.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2. cleared in front of west screen NM 19th Dec 17  DSCF0848.jpg
    2. cleared in front of west screen NM 19th Dec 17 DSCF0848.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 51
other work today

1. Planted 2 large spindles donated by Tony B .. these were planted along the west track
2. cleared all unwanted vegetation around the plantation in the NE corner of the North Moors .

3. Contract work on the horse chestnut tree at east end of causeway

Attachments

• 1. new spindles wp 19th Dec 17 DSCF0824.jpg
    1. new spindles wp 19th Dec 17 DSCF0824.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 76
  • 1.NE plantation cleared around saplings 19th dec 17 DSCF0856.jpg
    1.NE plantation cleared around saplings 19th dec 17 DSCF0856.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1. horse chestnut contract wrk 19th Dec 17 oDSCF0835 (2).jpg
    1. horse chestnut contract wrk 19th Dec 17 oDSCF0835 (2).jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 77
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Whooper Swan----------------Curlew (10)
Snipe (7)------------------------------Lapwing (75)
Shoveler (39)-------------------------Pochard (13)
Gadwall (m)---------------------------Teal (51)
Mute Swan (31)-----------------------Cormorant (22)
Little Grebe----------------------------Herring Gull (3)
L B B Gull (10)------------------------B H Gull (c100)
Sparrowhawk--------------------------Mistle Thrush (2)
Song Thrush---------------------------Cetti's Warbler
Redwing (7)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Lapwing (387)-------------------------B H Gull (37)
Teal (37)-------------------------------Moorhen (11)
Kestrel----------------------------------Tufted Duck (15)*
Kingfisher*

Des.

An all-dayer for me today 07:45-16:45 across Moors and Flashes.

Nothing new but noticeable that Mute Swan numbers have dropped to 28. Other counts are for Moors unless otherwise noted.

Whooper Swan (1)
Greylag (35)
Teal (c60... c30 at flashes)
Shoveler (30)
Pochard (10)
Tufted (c12.. also 15 on SP)
Cormorant (22)
Little Egret (1)
Little Grebe (2)
Sparrowhawk (1)
Coot (c160)
Lapwing (30... c370 at flashes)
Curlew (10)
Snipe (1)
Green Woodpecker (2)

and...possible WOODCOCK by Salwarpe. Bird was already in low, fast flight across path and river heading towards Ed. Reserve as I approached the same area where I stood on Sunday (The wide flat area between the 2 telegraph poles as approached from the west hide). No positive ID from 30 yards, but overall colour was brown. Time was 15:30 and light was poor. Might be worth checking over next couple of days.

It turned out to be a single male Wigeon who finally emerged from the fog plus a Little Egret on the North Moors.
The new feeding station at the North Moors new hide was very busy and worth a look.
Merry Christmas to all UW followers.:t::t::t:

Last edited:
HAPPY CHRISTMAS and A GREAT NEW YEAR

In case I don't see any of you in the next few days I would like to wish all the Birders, Togs, Wardens and a special thanks to all the Work Party Crew both past and present. I would also like to thank those people who support us with their kind words messages and cards. B :)
Let's hope for a great 2018 :t: John
here is a card I received on behalf of all the 'vols' B :)

Attachments

• 2 xmas 17 DSCF0869.jpg
    2 xmas 17 DSCF0869.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 45
  • x mas card 2017 DSCF0868.jpg
    x mas card 2017 DSCF0868.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Happy Christmas to All

Although I've only been back birding at Upton Warren for 3 years after an absence of 33 years(!), I can fully understand why it appeared on my radar back in 1978. I can't remember too much about the reserve then but through my involvement with the work parties and all the fellow birders I've met, I can see why it is such an important site. I would like to thank everyone for their hard work and help over 2017 and wish everyone a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

From the Moors Pool this morning Phil W reports:

Whooper Swan, 26 Mute Swan, 45 Teal, 30 Cormorant, 15 Shoveler, 1 Little Egret, 10 Curlew, about 8 Pochard, 1 Gadwall.

merry xmas all

hopefully get down a bit more over next few weeks, house buy has kept me busy else where, all the best for the season to all. merry christmas and a happy new year, trace and sue. B :)

Merry Christmas to all the amazing people I have met in the past at this wonderful reserve, I’ve been a bit of a stranger these past few years, but now the boys are getting older I’ll be far more regular, starting with Boxing Day, a good way to clear a fuzzy head. Have a great one and catch up with you soon.

By the time I arrived at Upton today the light was already fading. I can only share pics of a silhouetted Teal, the sunset and a waxing crescent moon!

Merry Christmas to all |:D|

Attachments

• 6P2A2679.jpg
    6P2A2679.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 55
  • A24Y7617.jpg
    A24Y7617.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 61
  • A24Y7643.jpg
    A24Y7643.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 54
  • A24Y7650.jpg
    A24Y7650.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 59
  • 6P2A2713.jpg
    6P2A2713.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 72
Early morning on Christmas Eve and Gert reports from the Flashes:

1 Little Egret, Barn Owl with prey, 10 Curlew, c150 Lapwing, c100 large gulls over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back