• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Finally caught up with the Buff Breast today, an evening bird me thinks, on show constantly from 6pm until at least 7.40pm. Lots of other waders including one summer plumaged golden plover and a Brent Goose !

Sounds like the River Warbler failed to show tonight, recommend going in the morning, showed very well thursday 5am - 5.40am

Had a fun day in Norfolk yesterday which culminated in the River warbler. No joy with the Buff-breast, but leaving at 5pm was clearly our downfall. During the afternoon a distant and admittedly buffy looking Knot in the heat haze was being shamelessly turned into the Buff-breast but the bird in question was - unsurprisingly - lost in the midst of the big flock of Knot! Great selection of summer plumaged waders though.

How do? Could anyone tell me if there is a favourable time to see the river warbler? I'll
be around norfolk/suffolk nxt week and I'm hoping it sticks around

Does anyone have an update on the honey buzzards & monties? Thinking of a trip tomorrow or monday.
Was also wondering if there are still Dartford warblers at their usual site (and if they're singing still?)

Good day at Titchwell,had seconds of the Buff breast along with good views of the pec.
has anybody else had both species side by side in norfolk before? saw both species together at Aberton,Essex,September 96.

Other goodies at Titchwell for me were 11 Spotshanks on the freshmarsh and 15 Eider just offshore.

Cheers,

Steve

A pair of honey buzzards are being seen most days at Swanton Novers watchpoint , but they are not easy. Last sunday a number of birders waited all day before one showed at 4 pm. The day before they had been active most of the morning. You may be lucky like one birder yesterday as saw one with seconds of arriving at the watchpoint or you may have to wait hours.

Last edited:
The last two days have been really good, Friday night I saw the River Warbler and yesterday afternoon got nice views of both the Buff Breast and Pec Sand at Titchwell. Rob.

Summit of Walsey Hills NOA further enhanced

More steps have been taken to facilitate its ascent and descent- now from two directions.

I can assure readers that the new steps, into and from the 'deep woods', work both ways and are as leg-friendly as the others, with the perfect distance and height differential.

Benches and a picnic table have been provided, as previously heralded. The safety barriers have also been extended, to prevent anyone plunging down the precipitous slopes.

Much credit is due to the NOA people who've laboured here so mightily, in the often tropical conditions of recent days.

Attachments

• 065psesm3.jpg
    065psesm3.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 068psesm2.jpg
    068psesm2.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 132
Spent a few days in your excellent county last week.

Got a shot of the Buff- breasted and Pectoral Sandpipers together.Not a good shot too far for my lens but nice to see them together.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_6293 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6293 (Large).JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 249
Titchwell July 12th

Today's highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper - still present on fresh marsh but elusive
Pectoral sandpiper - still present on fresh marsh but elusive
Crossbill - 4 in trees around visitor centre
Bittern - 2 in flight over reedbed
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 4 adults on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over fresh marsh

Coastal Project Update
As I am sure you are all aware we are just about to start the 2nd year of the project.
The main West Bank path will be closed from the Meadow Trail/West Bank path junction from Monday 26 July until mid/end September due to Titchwell Marsh Coastal Change Project work. During this period there will be no access to beach, marshes or Island hide but we will be opening up sections of the path as they are completed. The rest of the reserve (Meadow Trail/Fen Hide), visitor centre and cafe open as normal.
Further information visit www.rspb.org.uk/titchwell or call 01485 210779.
If you would like to receive updates on how work is progressing and path re-opening details then email [email protected] with TCCP BF as the title.

For all the latest Titchwell RSPB news check our new blog at http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/groups/titchwellmarsh/blog/default.aspx

Paul

Today's highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper - still present on fresh marsh but elusive
Pectoral sandpiper - still present on fresh marsh but elusive
Crossbill - 4 in trees around visitor centre
Bittern - 2 in flight over reedbed
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 4 adults on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over fresh marsh

Coastal Project Update
As I am sure you are all aware we are just about to start the 2nd year of the project.
The main West Bank path will be closed from the Meadow Trail/West Bank path junction from Monday 26 July until mid/end September due to Titchwell Marsh Coastal Change Project work. During this period there will be no access to beach, marshes or Island hide but we will be opening up sections of the path as they are completed. The rest of the reserve (Meadow Trail/Fen Hide), visitor centre and cafe open as normal.
If you would like to receive updates on how work is progressing and path re-opening details then email [email protected] with TCCP BF as the title.

For all the latest Titchwell RSPB news check our new blog at http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/groups/titchwellmarsh/blog/default.aspx

Paul

Thanks for the update paul :t:

Today's highlights

Coastal Project Update

Paul

How has the closure of the path been arranged??, The main track along the west bank is a public footpath.

How has the closure of the path been arranged??, The main track along the west bank is a public footpath.

Hi Tim

We have had to go through the official channels with the local council over the closure and we aim to have the path closed for a short a time as possible. The plan is to complete sections and then open them up behind the contractors. This will mean that after few weeks you may be able to get to the 'hump' and overlook the reedbed and grazing meadow pool.
I will be putting regular updates on progress on this forum and we will also be updating the bird information services on a regular basis.
If you want updates to your personal email, contact [email protected] with TCCP BF as the title.

Paul

Titchwell July 14th

Today's highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh until 13:10
Common sandpiper - 10 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Eider - 15 offshore