• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paintings by Raymond Klassen (1 Viewer)

Now you have got my attention, Raymond. I really enjoy doing paintings with brightly colored birds in the sun against a background of dark vegetation. Your Yellow Warbler is a fine example. I find that painting small songbirds in flight is a difficult task. They seem to always look like the are hanging from strings. Perhaps it because the wings don't seem to be moving. I always chicken out and move them the last few inches onto the branch!!! Anyway, your Yellow Warbler painting is striking. Keep up the good work.
Sid

Thanks, all! I always try to show atmosphere. On the other hand, the flat look of back lighting really appeals to me for some reason. Sid, I originally had a different pose for the warbler, but it looked wrong to me. I actually used a wing mount for reference, but it took me a long time to make the flight feathers look right in my eye, with the lighting.

Thanks, all! I always try to show atmosphere. On the other hand, the flat look of back lighting really appeals to me for some reason. Sid, I originally had a different pose for the warbler, but it looked wrong to me. I actually used a wing mount for reference, but it took me a long time to make the flight feathers look right in my eye, with the lighting.

Tis a lovely painting Raymond, unusual and very effective. I like it very much, a nice treat to see´such a creative composition, it really works for me. Terrific...

Dawn on Macgregor Lake- Bald Eagle

I completed this 11"x14" canvas today. Hope there is enough 'bird' in the frame to satisfy everyone. ;)

Attachments

• Macgregor Lake At Dawn.jpg
    Macgregor Lake At Dawn.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 99
I'va rrived late to this thread, but glad I got there - some beautiful work, I particularly admire the yellow warbler.

Pileated Woodpecker in Snow

Haha Thanks! I wasn't going to quit posting paintings. I just don't do that many of them. This one is from 3 years ago. I think the color is a bit off, but it's not too far.

Attachments

• Pileated Woodpecker web.jpg
    Pileated Woodpecker web.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 73
what a superb composition! and such wonderfully done bark with the snow - a bracing piece!

Indeed it is. And Pileateds are such striking birds that it would be easy to do something that concentrates strictly on them. This does a wonderful job of instead making them part of a very believable natural scene.

Oh, I absolutely love that! Plenty of movement in the driven snow, and loads of character in the bird's behaviour. Very nice work indeed.

Mike

Chilling pecker pic....[made me shiver anyway]....marvelous composition and atmosphere....:t:

Only just seen the bald eagle lake pic...[that warmed me up a bit].....!

oh wow.....I am envious

I also paint a little, with chalk..., however, not virtually you

friendly greetings

Hi Raymond,

I'm new to the forum as well, nice to meet you. Very nice work. I think my favorite is the swans, with the great reflections and the rising mist in the background. Very nice feel to all of them, however, and the composition and execution of the yellow warbler is excellent as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back