• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India Pipit ID-7 ? (1 Viewer)

aloktewari

Opus Editor
Supporter
India
Size : Largish pipit / 2nd image shows the hind-claw, faintly, though.

Nazafgarh Wetlands, Gurgaon Rural, Haryana, India.

Date : 09.03.2018

Attachments

• DSCN4543.JPG
    DSCN4543.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN4544.JPG
    DSCN4544.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN4545.JPG
    DSCN4545.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 53
Pipit id.

Hi all,
this is interesting. I believe this to be a richard's pipit but it shows many aspects of paddyfield pipit ! Alok has mentioned the hind-claw but it is difficult to assess it's length relative to the hind-toe. The central pair are not fully grown so the tail does look proportionally short.

Thank you, Bryon ... certainly looked bigger than most of the Paddyfields I keep seeing in the area ... with different body proportions as well ( a visual impression only ) ...
I'll upload some more images ... but the hind claw may not still be seen in any of them ...
Best regards,
Alok.

The hind claw is visible in the second image and looks a little short for Richard's. As well as the tail, there's also a loral stripe, and the bill is too short. In the first image, the bird has the wedge-headed profile of Paddyfield.

Final word ... Paddyfield ...
Checked my folder ... no more images of this individual are there ...

Hi all,
Andy, there are specific descriptions of Paddyfield with a short barely decurved hind-claw, now. These are proportionally not much longer than those of a house sparrow. Alok's bird has a very long hind-claw. Furthermore we do not know because we cannot see how many mm. of hind-claw is hidden in his photograph. These photos show the minimum and maximum length of RP's hind-claw.

Attachments

• 9228_20160118_1_1000 (1).jpg
    9228_20160118_1_1000 (1).jpg
    5 KB · Views: 4
  • pipit catch (3) (1) (2).jpg
    pipit catch (3) (1) (2).jpg
    10 KB · Views: 4
Hello all ...
As Bryon has mentioned, the hind-claw is really long ... I'm attaching a closeup of that seen in image 2.
It shows, the claw is, actually, going over and beyond the grass stem.
Hope it helps ... !
Best regards,
Alok.

Attachments

• DSCN4544.JPG
    DSCN4544.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back