• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.

Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.

You are welcome Andy. For sure the 8x25, as good as it is, would never replace 32s or 42s for me but it is really fine at what it does. As for your FL 8x32s: no argument there and long may you enjoy them.

Lee

I picked up a pair a few months ago, due to the positive reviews about them on the forum. I'm wearing glasses, and the fit is fine. Moreover the portability of them does make a difference. I just finished teaching a painting workshop up in the Sierra Buttes area of California for a week. I outfitted my pair with a small Nikon strap, and an Opticron rain guard, as recommended by several folks on this site, then carried them in my shirt pocket. in this way they stayed protected, weighed next to nothing in my pocket, and were available for viewing throughout the week as we painted in various locations, just in case a bird showed up. I did not use them as much as I hoped, but it didn't matter, because they were no burden at all, and were conveniently on hand. I will be hiking into the Ansel Adams wilderness in a few weeks with art supplies, and the victory pockets will be coming with me. The mules will bring in some larger bins to use, once I'm in camp, but these are the ones for the trail.

Yes, they are much darker in low light than the 32's and 42's I've got, but in bright daylight they are fine. I compared them with a pair of Pentax 8x25's I've had for many years, and FOV and brightness are a noticeable step up with the Zeiss.

-Bill

Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan

I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!

Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan

Glad you got it. If there is no rain to keep off, perhaps it will protect the eyepieces from ash... ;-)

-B.

I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!

I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?

Marc

I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?

Marc

Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics...---support/customer-service/contact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.

Last edited:
In defence of Zeiss in the UK (and not regarding a retail issue) i've had two minor issues dealt with swiftly (and free of charge) and communication could be measured in days. This was through dealing with their UK centre just outside Cambridge.

For some strange reason I never thought of contacting Zeiss directly. I just called the UK number on their website, and was put through to Sales (in Germany, I guess). It seems that the Victory Pockets are not available at the moment, but should be shipped at the end of the month.

Bob,

I have dealt with Zeiss CS in both the US and Germany and I received excellent service from both. I think the secret is to have direct contact info for a CS representative (email or phone number); I'd expect that indeed if you just call a toll-free number the situation could be different. In particular imo Zeiss CS in Germany is almost as good as Swaro's.

Peter

Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics...---support/customer-service/contact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.

Marc

I do not know about the Victory Pocket, but I am pretty sure that the Victory FL 32mm are produced almost on demand. The FL 32mm are excellent binos (I have both the FL 8x32 and 10x32 and find them as good as my SV and EDG 32mm) but they are an old model and it seems that there isn't a lot of demand for them any longer. So I am afraid the fact that they are on backorder does not mean anything, despite the fact that rumors might suggest that they will be replaced by SF 32mm (the Bird Fair is just a few days away, so we'll know soon).

Last edited:
I'm pleased to say that my Victory pockets arrived this week, so the Zeiss estimate of 4 weeks was spot on.

I haven't had a chance to take them out yet (I might go over to Walthamstow Wetlands tomorrow), but first impressions are very good. The case is ludicrous, as everyone has pointed out, so I need to find a smaller one, and I'd like to pick up the Optocron rainguard.

Just a quick follow up report. I have been using my Zeiss 8x25 for about three months now, and it has become my most used binocular. I have no binocular that performs better in terms of getting on target and seeing what there is to see under most daytime conditions. That performance includes excellent optical quality and outstanding handling characteristics. The only caveat is that phrase "most daytime conditions." As the available light decreases at dawn or dusk or in a sufficiently shaded thicket, of course I would prefer a larger high quality aperture. But if I want more aperture, I use 9x45. While it is possible that an 8x30 or 8x32 might best the Zeiss 8x25 under just the right low light conditions, I much prefer the little Zeiss to any of my 30/32mm binoculars.

A number of other factors have brought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory to the top of my most used list. I have been traveling much more than usual this summer, and I generally bring a more compact binocular when I travel (in the past it was the Maven B3 8x30). Also, I have the 8x25 with me most of the time in my backpack since it is compact and relatively light weight. One other factor is that I have begun to carry a compact zoom camera regularly, so I am mildly less likely to reach for my larger, heavier Maven 9x45 unless observing conditions demand it.

I wouldn't consider this a pocket pocket binocular if you are wearing a typical dress shirt or sport shirt or pants more tailored than cargo pants. But it is no problem in a jacket pocket, or baggy pants pocket, or even in a fishing or outdoors type shirt with gusset in the shirt pocket.

There is no perfect binocular, but for me this hits the mark by making many of the right decisions/compromises in designing and building a compact binocular.

Alan

Alan, Your review sums up many of my own impressions of the 8x25 pocket. I took it on several trips this summer, including a pack trip into the Ansel Adams Wilderness for 6 days. By then I'd dialed in the strap and eye cover setup based on previous recommendations on this thread. I also wore an ex-officio shirt that had a very wide shirt pocket held by a velcro flap. While hiking, I kept it in that pocket with the strap loose around my neck, then if I wanted to start birding, or just perusing views, it was quick, easy access, with almost zero weight on the neck for most of the journey. It is a sharp, lightweight optic. I wear glasses, by the way, and I'm fine with the eye relief on this Binocular. But your own experience may vary.

I did test it at dusk, looking out the kitchen window at the bird feeder, and the light loss was clearly evident, compared to larger apertures. An 8x42 at dusk or even deep, cloudy weather will immediately show a difference. But in bright daylight at 9,000 feet, this handy optical device will fill the bill.

Its a keeper.

-Bill

How much more light one needs at twilight and at night is with most of us rather arbitrary! Unless one possesses a wide range of models the choice of the other binocular/s may be decided by its/their appeal at other times also.

Light gathering ratio (mm, at the same magnification, say 8x)
32 vs 25: 1.6 times more
42 vs 32: 1.7
42 vs 25: 2.8
56 vs 42: 1.8

We could also note
- The optical quality of the instruments compared is critical. Actually the task is more difficult for the bigger, with a bigger entry pupil.
- For twilight and for night detail is maximized by 2 different color renditions, i.e. transmission curves.

I have decided to go it, at least try, with only the Victory 8x25 and a 15x50!

Last edited:
How much more light one needs at twilight and at night is with most of us rather arbitrary! Unless one possesses a wide range of models the choice of the other binocular/s may be decided by its/their appeal at other times also.

Light gathering ratio (mm, at the same magnification, say 8x)
32 vs 25: 1.6 times more
42 vs 32: 1.7
42 vs 25: 2.8
56 vs 42: 1.8

We could also note
- The optical quality of the instruments compared is critical. Actually the task is more difficult for the bigger, with a bigger entry pupil.
- For twilight and for night detail is maximized by 2 different color renditions, i.e. transmission curves.

I have decided to go it, at least try, with only the Victory 8x25 and a 15x50!

Neat summary Adhoc. Thanks for posting.

Lee

Just a quick follow up report. I have been using my Zeiss 8x25 for about three months now, and it has become my most used binocular. I have no binocular that performs better in terms of getting on target and seeing what there is to see under most daytime conditions. That performance includes excellent optical quality and outstanding handling characteristics. The only caveat is that phrase "most daytime conditions." As the available light decreases at dawn or dusk or in a sufficiently shaded thicket, of course I would prefer a larger high quality aperture. But if I want more aperture, I use 9x45. While it is possible that an 8x30 or 8x32 might best the Zeiss 8x25 under just the right low light conditions, I much prefer the little Zeiss to any of my 30/32mm binoculars.

A number of other factors have brought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory to the top of my most used list. I have been traveling much more than usual this summer, and I generally bring a more compact binocular when I travel (in the past it was the Maven B3 8x30). Also, I have the 8x25 with me most of the time in my backpack since it is compact and relatively light weight. One other factor is that I have begun to carry a compact zoom camera regularly, so I am mildly less likely to reach for my larger, heavier Maven 9x45 unless observing conditions demand it.

I wouldn't consider this a pocket pocket binocular if you are wearing a typical dress shirt or sport shirt or pants more tailored than cargo pants. But it is no problem in a jacket pocket, or baggy pants pocket, or even in a fishing or outdoors type shirt with gusset in the shirt pocket.

There is no perfect binocular, but for me this hits the mark by making many of the right decisions/compromises in designing and building a compact binocular.

Alan

Alan

I have mine now for about 2 months in use know and am very satisfied with them!
They astonish me every time I use them , they have great FOV and great contrast
Also at low light conditions they do a great job
Enjoy yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back