• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raw Mode (1 Viewer)

erniehatt

Does anyone use Raw for digiscoping, I have never had a camera with raw on it before, but will be getting one at the end of the month. Ernie

Yes, I have just started to use it on my Oly 5050. It seems faster than JPEG in hi speed drive mode. What camera are you getting?

Thanks for the reply, Well the camera I am getting is the Panasonic FZ50, Yes I know what you will say and what's been said over and over again the large lens cameras are no good for digiscoping, they said that about 4X zoom cameras, and I helped to change that view. I am a great believer in, if you have the right combination of equipment you will get the results, and I believe I have the said equipment. Its not much good saying more until I get the camera, so we will leave it for experts to ponder over. Ernie

Dunno if you've seen this thread Ernie :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=51652

Norm,
Yes I found it today from a recent post of yours, Very interesting indeed.
With the scope and eyepieces I have, I am hoping I will be able to improve on that, can't tell for sure until I get the camera at the end of the month, have tried it with the Sony f717, but thats only 5X zoom I was pleased with that.
I see you live near my Sister. Ernie

PS Out of curiosity is the old military prison still there,spent 3 months in there once.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity is the old military prison still there,spent 3 months in there once.
Hi Ernie. From google I learn we have a residence called the "Military Correction and Training Centre" (MCTC). (I'm guessing the word "training" was inserted into the name to distinguish the acronym from that of the well-known "Marylebone Cricket Club"). Pretty sure there was a series on national TV here not so long back following some folks' experiences there; think I may have caught the last thirty seconds of it. There was a young woman on Colchester North Station platform, laden with bags about to get on a train looking positively to the future; detected no sense of regret at leaving Colchester or any whiff of nostalgia |:d|
Say hi to your sis from me :hi:

Norm

I use raw at times on my Oly E500 when I am doing prime focus thorugh my TV85 scope,, raw shots are a tad over 10mp on my camera, TIFF is up around the 13mp area,, certainly larger than the 5-6mp at the best jpeg level,, you will also need to assure you have software that will handle the raw image from the camera,, most software does not handle,, you can download rawshooter essentials from the web for free,, really has some nice features to it,,

write time for true raw is going to consume more file space in the camera, slow the cameras operation down (depending on your cameras speed to store before writing) and to download to your computer will also take more time,,

not many cameras will allow your rapid shooting while in the raw mode,, those that do are in the high $$$$ range,,

Hi Norm, that would be the place, we used to call it the Glass House.
Thanks Derry for info, I suspected that it would slow down the operation some. Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Just another thought for you. I don't know the panasonic you are planning to buy, but are you aware that the FZ8 also does RAW (the previous FZ series didn't until now? I expect it is cheaper than the one you are going for.

As for rapid shooting in RAW mode, well my 5050 can take about 5 shots sequentially but then it spends a few seconds writing them to the card. Still, I have got some nice results from my garden with it. But have had not so much success in the field! some examples in my photobucket account:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/kittykat23uk/birds and wildlife/?start=all

Last edited:
Hi, the camera is the FZ50, I had a look at the FZ8 it seems to have some similar features to the FZ50, but I preferred this one from what I read on reviews.

The Burst mode is very similar to what you have there, and I believe that most of them have a certain amount of writing delay, though I must say that the Canon A640 is very quick with the writing side of it, but the actual burst speed has reduced some from previous models, due I believe from cramming to many pixels into the sensor.
Sorry haven't been able to view your images, I am on reduced internet speed at the moment, I sat for ten minutes waiting for it to load, I will have a look later in the week, when the speed goes up again. Ernie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back