• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antoon De Roo (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Antoon De Roo (Etymology: Cyanomitra alinae derooi and some other animals like Conraua derooi and Praomys derooi) was a brilliant young ornithologist from Belgium. He did a lot of research work in Belgium, Republic of Congo, and Togo, in particular on swifts and he died, aged 34, in early 1971. That leads me to my question. Yesterday I've got the Dutch obituary by Rudolf Verheyen (in De Giervalk 1972) but unfortunately Verheyen did not state the cause of his death and where he has died. Is anyone here who knows more?

The only thing I could find is that his death was a cruel fate. But all deaths at 34 are? Rev Botanique & zoologique Afr.: SCHOUTEDEN (Musée Royal de l'Afrique Centrale, Tervurcn) Je dedie cette note à la mémoire de mon regretté ami et assistant Antoon De Roo, qu'un sort cruel vien

My guess would be Togo a frog was named for him in 1972. Conraua derooi Togo Slippery Frog
The specific epithet derooi is a tribute to the ornithologist Antoon De Roo, a member of the expedition that discovered this species (Hulselmans 1972). This species was described from Misahohé in western Togo.

Antoon De Roo (apparently Antoon Emeric Marcel De Roo), supposedly born 26 August 1936, in Roeselare, Belgium ... seems to have died 25 February 1971, in Africa.

But is it appropriate (proper, decent) to search for the cause? It´s not that long ago, and his relatives might very well be around. If not mentioned in the Obituary, it could be for a reason. Trying to find the exact location might be ok, but the cause ... doubtful, doesn't feel right.

I would leave him in peace.
--

Last edited:
Hi Melanie,

could you share the obituary? I was triggered by his name (as my wife's name is the same but written a bit differently), and the fact that he is from the same area.

My father Antoon De Roo

Hello,

I'm Patrick, Antoon (everyone called him Toon) De Roo's son. Today I googled my father's name for the first time ever and I was surprised to discover his (German and Finnish) Wikipedia pages and also this thread on Birdforum. I am glad that there are still people talking about him, almost 50 years after his death.

As for Melanie's question: my father committed suicide in February 1971, not far from our home in Antwerp. So he didn't die in Togo, as Mr. Brown and Mr. Bergenholtz assumed. For some reason I always thought he died on the 24th of February, but apparently it was on 25th February. But I was just four years old back then.

And as for Mr. Björn Bergenholtz' concern: the only reason I can think of the obituary not being clear about my father's death cause, is related to the prevailing catholic morals in Flanders in those days, and the big taboo around suicide.

I am glad having clarified this little mystery on Birdnet and I would be happy to provide more information if someone would have more questions. I could also send a copy of the obituary if desired.

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to BirdForum, and; thanks for sharing the tragic story of your Father.

I had a hunch that this would be the case (cause), thereby my appeal of some wariness ...

Once again thanks for your elucidating reply and your unreserved texte en clair.

Björn

Hello,

I'm Patrick, Antoon (everyone called him Toon) De Roo's son. Today I googled my father's name for the first time ever and I was surprised to discover his (German and Finnish) Wikipedia pages and also this thread on Birdforum. I am glad that there are still people talking about him, almost 50 years after his death.

As for Melanie's question: my father committed suicide in February 1971, not far from our home in Antwerp. So he didn't die in Togo, as Mr. Brown and Mr. Bergenholtz assumed. For some reason I always thought he died on the 24th of February, but apparently it was on 25th February. But I was just four years old back then.

And as for Mr. Björn Bergenholtz' concern: the only reason I can think of the obituary not being clear about my father's death cause, is related to the prevailing catholic morals in Flanders in those days, and the big taboo around suicide.

I am glad having clarified this little mystery on Birdnet and I would be happy to provide more information if someone would have more questions. I could also send a copy of the obituary if desired.

Hi Patrick, many thanks for your reply and that you can talk so open about your father's death. These are really shocking news. I came across on your father after I've did research on Alexandre Prigogine. There is a very short note in the paper Type specimens of birds in the Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren Zoological Documentary Online Series
by Michel Louette et al. (2010) I also have the orbituary by Rudolf F. Verheyen in Le Gerfaut (1971).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back