• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green-winged teal (1 Viewer)

jeff

Question:

What's the difference between green-winged teal and common teal, the only thing i can see by looking at pictures is a white patch either going vertically or horizontally.
Is there anything else or is that it?

Hi Jeff,

That's about it. At close range, the pale lines between the green and brown on the head are narrower in Green-winged, but this is fairly subtle and may not be 100% reliable.

Michael

Jeff,
The Green-winged Teal wont have the brown and green markings on the head of the male 'picked out' with a sort of dark yellow as much, if you see what I mean. You need to look close though.

Edit
Jeff,
Michael and I posted at about the same time but Michael has described the situation better than I did.

Last edited:
Thanks i see what you both mean about the head markings.

One day it'll all sink in and i'll wont need to ask as many questions :) that day's still along way off though.

jeff said:
Thanks i see what you both mean about the head markings.

One day it'll all sink in and i'll wont need to ask as many questions :) that day's still along way off though.

This might help Jeff, it's not yet in full plumage (still coming out of eclipse) hence the reduced white mark at the sides of the breast, but you can see what the guys were talking about.
I took this in Cornwall 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• GWT6.JPG
    GWT6.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 374
CJW said:
This might help Jeff, it's not yet in full plumage (still coming out of eclipse) hence the reduced white mark at the sides of the breast, but you can see what the guys were talking about.
I took this in Cornwall 2 weeks ago.

I think if i'd have seen it, it would have just gone down as a teal, but now i notice the difference(s).
The only reason i asked was i too recently went to Cornwall, not really birding though, but had a meal at the Old Quay Inn,Hayle (never again) where a green-winged teal had recently been seen, so was currious to know the differences.
Maybe i'll pay teal a bit more attention next time i'm looking through them.
I did ask a couple of birders what was about and they only mentioned a couple of ruff, so i guess i didn't miss it.

Thanks again for pointing out those differences, it's always nice to see them side by side, makes it easier on the eye.

jeff said:
The only reason i asked was i too recently went to Cornwall, not really birding though, but had a meal at the Old Quay Inn,Hayle (never again) where a green-winged teal had recently been seen, so was currious to know the differences.

And guess where this one was photographed Jeff!

There was a bird showing mixed characters in North Lancs a few years ago when there was also a genuine GWT in the same area. How many are you seeing Jane?

I'm mostly reading descriptions of birds that don't rule out hybrids.. I think a couple of the Cheshire birds in the last year were not 100%. Ducks do tend to spread their genes about. Remember all the grey ducks at Aber!

I've always thought that Black Duck should be dumped as just a race of Mallard - after all, female Black Ducks actually PREFER to pair up with drake Mallards, over drake Black Ducks (well, who looks nicer, do you blame them, but it does show an important genetic point!).

Why is it, that Black Duck and Mottled Duck are treated as species, but the nearly identical Mexican Duck is treated as a race of Mallard?

And I'm also far from convinced that splitting GW Teal was the right thing to do.

Michael

Hooray! Someone who doesn't want to split everything in sight!

I must admit I sympathise with the chap who told me the other day that he only recognises two species: quackers and tweeters.

But I don't know that it's right to say that Black Ducks actually prefer Mallards on their home grounds - even though they might not be over-choosy. I know there was a lot of worry about hybridisation some years ago, but I thought that had now been allayed to a large extent. (I'm probably wrong, though.)

Jason

Agreed about the Black Duck / Mallard, Michael!

They interbreed and their offspring are fertile. I even use this in teaching as one example of a single species, for exactly this reason!

The result of this interbreeding is a series of forms, all along a scale from pure Black to pure Mallard. People here have produced some nice photos for observers to carry in the field. Using the pics, you can place a bird on this spectrum.

Surveys have shown that the "contamination" of Black Duck by the introduced Mallard is mainly around cities - for the time being.

If you take the fertile offspring rule for species...there is only one duck and one goose!

I think there have been some silly splits recently...I mean Hooded Crow! But I also think that be birds species in the process of speciating or just well-marked races, there is value in attempting to identify at the lowest level possible.

I've always been very duckist, I should warn you!

Hi Jane

Sorry to come in on this thread late,you only have to go down to your local pond to see hybridisation.For example yesterday I was watching a MandarinxMallard hybrid & on the same pond several AylesburyxMallard hybrids.I think mallard will try to spread their genes with what ever is around at the time.
Regards Steve.

Rufus said:
Agreed about the Black Duck / Mallard, Michael!
Hi Rufus,
I was actually referring to American Black Duck (Anas [platyrhynchos] rubripes) here - I presume you're referring to Pacific Black Duck (A. [p.] superciliosa)? - but even if you are, looks like the same applies!

Stevo said:
For example yesterday I was watching a Mandarin x Mallard hybrid & on the same pond several Aylesbury x Mallard hybrids.I think mallard will try to spread their genes with what ever is around at the time.
Hi Stevo,
I'd be doubtful about the Mandarin Duck x Mallard hybrids, as Joern Lehmus has mentioned that Mandarin Duck has never been hybridised with any other duck, as it has an unusual chromosome set which makes hybridisation with other ducks impossible.
Aylesbury is just a domesticated breed of Mallard, not a seperate species at all, so when they mate with Mallards, the results are cross-breeds, not hybrids (like crossing say, a Labrador with a Collie - both are dog breeds, the result is a cross-breed, not a hybrid)

Michael

True, but they don't do so as a matter of preference, nor abundantly - it is no more than the occasional act of desparation. With the Black Ducks, in many areas, the majority are hybrids, not odd ones now-and-then. And I reckon that's significant. It shows that their mating behaviour has not evolved any effective degree of separation.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back