• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Bitterly cold here still though we've had some decent sunny spells over the last few days which I've tried to make the most of. A couple of my better efforts all with the SW80ED + Nikon D5100. Kestrel took some sneaking upon but worth the effort. This was with 1.4TC, whilst the Great Tit and Water Rail were both scope only.
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. There seems to be details enough for you to read the ring on the Tit.

dippers

was out to Nyfors Tyresö, and saw all in all 6-7 dippers. Soon they'll be heading north.

Sharing a few here:

Last edited:
Some kites from today

Today I tested the EM5 on Kites, Buzzards and Eagles in flight but that was not a success due to the annoying delay from one shot to another making it really difficult to shoot a sequence while refocusing. For birds in flight I will probably stick to the regular DSLR instead (E620).

Sharing some pics of a Kite having lunch and one I spotted flying through the canopy. Although there is some motion blur I am quite happy with the picture. (No, it's not the same as the perched Kite).

OMD EM-5 @1600 ISO, SW80 + EC14

Attachments

• Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_25.jpg
    Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_25.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_24.jpg
    Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_24.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_26.jpg
    Red Kite (Milvus milvus)_26.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 57
Wakodahatchee Wetlands

This is the first of some pics taken on a recent trip to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray, Florida. This series was of a local duck species which I couldn't identify. Anyone know? All pictures are uncropped with the exception of picture 3 which was a heavy crop of picture 2. A little blue heron was seen creeping into a group of ducks in picture 1. All pictures taken using my DIY 76mm f/5 refractor (Jaegars lens) + x1.4TC + Olympus e-510 at iso 400, 1/600 sec shutter. I stopped down the front objective to 40 mm.

Attachments

• Delray 1_resize.jpg
    Delray 1_resize.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Delray 2_resized.jpg
    Delray 2_resized.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Delray 2_cropped_resized.jpg
    Delray 2_cropped_resized.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Delray 3_resized.jpg
    Delray 3_resized.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Delray 8_resized.jpg
    Delray 8_resized.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 43
Herons at Wakodahatchee Wetlands

Here is the second series of pictures of herons taken in the same florida wetlands. The first picture of the blue heron chicks had three chicks but one fell out and was eaten by a waiting alligator--I missed that shot. The 2nd and 3rd shot were of a great white heron on the hunt--beautiful bird (I had to shoot this stopped down to 40 mm due to the high contrast in direct sunlight. The 4th and 5th shots were of tricolored herons. all pics taken on the same rig previously described.

Attachments

• Delray 5_resized.jpg
    Delray 5_resized.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Delray 6_resized.jpg
    Delray 6_resized.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 38
  • Delray 7_resized.jpg
    Delray 7_resized.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Delray 9_resized.jpg
    Delray 9_resized.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Delray 10_resized.jpg
    Delray 10_resized.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 39
River Bend Park

Here is the third series of pics from my Florida trip. River Bend Park was a hiker's dream. It took me two days to get these ausprey pics. I had to learn this bird's feeding habits and locate the pond where it hunted. Not the sharpest pics, but I had to move fast to capture this photo opportunity. When I was done shooting the ausprey I noticed this little guy in the third shot sunny himself in a drainage cannel not 10 m from where I had set up. Fortunately mama was on the opposite bank. All pics shot using my DIY refractor. The ausprey was about 50 m off.

Attachments

• ausprey 3_resized_filtered.jpg
    ausprey 3_resized_filtered.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 56
  • ausprey 4_resized_filtered.jpg
    ausprey 4_resized_filtered.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 56
  • baby alligator_resized.jpg
    baby alligator_resized.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 50
Tord--what kind of shutter speeds are you using for birds in flight. My e-510 would not tolerate iso setting above 400 without heavy noise reduction applied.

Tord--what kind of shutter speeds are you using for birds in flight. My e-510 would not tolerate iso setting above 400 without heavy noise reduction applied.
Hi,

With the E620 I try to shoot at ISO400, light conditions permitting. If needed I will push to ISO800, as a last resort 1/1600 and accept noise.

On On http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194789&page=40:

• Geese are captured evening time at 1/640 ... 1/800s. This is a subject relatively easy to anticipate and follow by panning so shutter speed is not an issue.
  • Kites are captured in afternoon/midday, 1/1250 ... 1/2000s. This subject is more difficult to track and I would not go below 1/1000.

So I guess your E510 should be able to deliver good results in good light conditions. (I have an E520 as well and can try if you like).

/Tord

Today I tested the EM5 on Kites, Buzzards and Eagles in flight but that was not a success due to the annoying delay from one shot to another making it really difficult to shoot a sequence while refocusing. For birds in flight I will probably stick to the regular DSLR instead (E620).

Hello Tord,

I think that the delay is easy to correct. IMO, it is due to the picture being shown in the viewfinder or the LCD after the shot. You can disable it completely in this menu:
Setup Menu (the one with the wrench) > Rec View = OFF

I like it at 0.5 sec to quickly view the pic after taking the shot but it is nice to be able to change that if needed. Wen OFF, I can take pictures as fast as I can push the shutter button.

Another cause for the delay would be a slow memory card.

There are so many options in this camera... The learning path is quite stiff. I'm just beginning to to control it reasonnably well.

Regards
Jules

Jules,

Thanks for the hint. I wasn't thinking of this feature, being so used to shoot at will with the DSLR and not having the viewfinder display the latest taken picture (which is technically impossible with an optical viewfinder).

I will try what you suggest at next possible occasion.

The ideal mode would be to have the latest picture shown for a few seconds on the display (for a quick check) but not in the EVF. Is that possible?

/Tord

Jules,

Thanks for the hint. I wasn't thinking of this feature, being so used to shoot at will with the DSLR and not having the viewfinder display the latest taken picture (which is technically impossible with an optical viewfinder).

I will try what you suggest at next possible occasion.

The ideal mode would be to have the latest picture shown for a few seconds on the display (for a quick check) but not in the EVF. Is that possible?

/Tord

Of course, the Electronic Viewfinder does not behave like the optical one on DSLRs. Personnaly, I like it better. I like the full time Live View without the disadvantages of LV on the DSLR. I really like the fast LV and having it in the EVF, not just on the LCD where it is washed out by the sun. I also like having it react to changes made in the settings - WYSIWYG.

To have the last picture shown on the LCD, see here, this the 4th post in the thread. I haven't tried it so I cannot comment.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3196133#forum-post-41411509

I don't see a need for this feature. Normally, I set the camera so that it displays the picture for 0.5 sec. in the EVF after taking the shot - this is enough to have a quick check and still allows for reasonnably fast shooting. If I want to shoot fast, I set the camera not to display the picture and I can shoot as fast as I want - when you shoot fast, you don't have time to look at the picture anyway...

Contrary to the Canon DSLRs I have owned, I have found that the OM-D is much more complicated and sophisticated. One must spend a lot of time understanding how it works and setting it up according to his needs. Reading the manual is MANDATORY and even, this is not enough: I had to do a lot of digging and searching on the Net. The M43 forum on dPreview.com is my friend... I read it every day.

And even then, some features are so complicated that it takes a lot of time to learn how to use them: the best example being FOCUSING. I almost returned the camera because I didn't like the way it focuses... and I'm just starting to get used to it, after 6 months. Granted, I don't use the camera as much in the winter months, but it's still a long time...

Regards
Jules

Last edited:
Cranes

Some Cranes were seen the past weekend, however far from the thousands we would normally have at this time of the year, simply because of the long Winter that has put everything upside down.

It was impossible to obtain any sharp pictures in sunlight, too much disturbances in the air. In between sunlight were periods with overcast sky and light snowfall though, which saved my day.

Also spotted a group of resting Whooper Swans checking me at distance with a high degree of suspicion.

And the usual Red Kite.

SW80 + EC14
OMD EMD @ 1600 ISO, rescued from underexposure.

These are probably the last pictures I will take with this camera, I will have to fallback to the E620 while claiming the guarantee.

Attachments

• P4070095_DxO.jpg
    P4070095_DxO.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P4070138_DxO.jpg
    P4070138_DxO.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P4070145_DxO.jpg
    P4070145_DxO.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Whooper Swan (Cygnus cygnus)_1.jpg
    Whooper Swan (Cygnus cygnus)_1.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 75
  • P4060053_DxO.jpg
    P4060053_DxO.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back