• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you answer my sons question please (1 Viewer)

JSER

As some may be aware I am a single father of three disabled sons, my youngest is attending Agricultural College in Devon, Stoke Climsland, and has discovered that watching birds and photographing them may go hand in hand with his enjoyment of working with natural wood, NOT purchased but straight from the woods.

All is hand made, NO glue at all, just pegged, it is hard work but he enjoys it.

He has made two bird feeders that he hangs fat balls, feeders and other things on, as well as providing pre drilled holes for peanuts and seeds in the tall one. They are better when the photograph is not reduced so much, the base is a bird table,/stand for water. It is also 8' high and the base 18' across.

I hope no one objects but he would love to turn it into a small business, he is well aware that with lifelong learning difficulties he will find full time employment hard.

Your comments good and especially critical would be much appreciated.

The cable ties in the first picture are not needed, as a "tripod" it is self standing now.

He is able to supply almost any combination of base and “tree” branch, with no branches and short hanging branches, and can even supply matching seats.

Thank you.

(This is NOT an advert, and NO sales will be made from this question, he is simply asking your opinion).

Attachments

• feeder 1.jpg
    feeder 1.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Great idea , just got to love the pegged construction and natural form.
I think a range of similarly constructed items would need to be developed if
thinking about a business opportunity. However a man has to start somewhere and it looks as if your boy has taken the first step. I hope he can take it further.

Great idea , just got to love the pegged construction and natural form.
I think a range of similarly constructed items would need to be developed if
thinking about a business opportunity. However a man has to start somewhere and it looks as if your boy has taken the first step. I hope he can take it further.

He's 16 and likes working with wood, is now using thin strips of bark instead of cable ties, which he softens in boinilg water, the hardest part is removing the heart of the wood, anyone who has drilled deep into a log knows wood is one of the hardest to cut, and the average hole he cuts per log is 8" across and deep.

The idea came about because he wanted to photograph birds in teh garden on a tree without a background, here any photographer can set up a natural feeding area not a shop bought table and take photographs that look 100% natural.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back