• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a65 and a77 (1 Viewer)

The definitive answer for that will be when shots can be compared from the A77 and the NEX7, which uses the same sensor, but with no mirror assembly at all...the NEX7 will be the purest example of what the sensor itself can produce.

It seems that the NEX7's picture quality does indeed trump the A77's as per this link http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/is-the-nex-7-image-quality-better-than-the-quality-of-the-a77/.

Again, the semi-translucent beam-splitter is suspected of causing this disparity.

Anyone can enlighten me further on this?

I received my a77 today but am still waiting for big lens. I can say that I think it will be suitable for birding with no time lag on evf for example. AF also seems acceptable ie. quick but will only know with the big lens. It also seems very solid and compares favorably with my canon 7d. Will post some pics soon .

Well, the A77 even with fixed exposure at top whack of 12 fps can still track a moving object - this line from a report on the new 1Dx "And that 14fps is achieved with the mirror locked up and the focus and exposure locked on the first frame – strictly a tripod job or one for a steady hand, with no ability to see the subject once the shutter is pressed." says that $7000 can't....

a few from today
All taken at long range and cropped.
all at 400mm f5.6 iso auto ( 100 ) 1/750
as a comparison the flower is iso 1600
not sure about a lot of things yet ie I was using spot focus and will play with wide tomorrow. Af ok but still under appraisal .

Attachments

• DSC00152a.jpg
    DSC00152a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00155a.jpg
    DSC00155a.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 180
  • spit.jpg
    spit.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 136
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 150
OOI, what is the current thinking on the suitability of the a77 for birding ?

I spent quite a lot of last weekend downloading RAW files from the web and getting a friend to post me some images from the a77. My current view is that a77 is no worse than 7D up to iso 1600. The noise from the a77 looks "blotchy" to me rather than "fine-grained" from the 7D which, to me, makes a77 look relatively bad. Above iso 1600, a77 looks worse.

Would be interested in thoughts from people here though.

Regards

Gary

I too am in the market for an A77, and am waiting for availability to improve so that prices come down a bit before buying one. I am, however, a long-term Minolta/Sony person, and all my lenses are A-mount, so I have reason to stay with the system.

On the Sony board of dpreview http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1037&/sony-slr-talk-forum/ there have been a lot of discussions on some of the major controversial issues, such as the following.

- Is the EVF up to following fast moving objects and how does it perform under various light conditions?

- Is there a problem with the sensor as far as noise goes (certainly there seems to be general agreement that the jpgs have very heavy-handed noise reduction).

- What is the autofocus like (though this is mostly in comparison with other Sony slrs/slts)?

There are a lot of people on that forum who have personal experience with the Sony A77 (and fewer with the A65) who have written quite extensively about it. Also, there have been a number of bird photos posted variously taken with these two cameras.

I would very strongly recommend sitting down with a hot drink and a couple of hours to spare and reading back in that forum. Yes, there's some stupid stuff (in particular about the noise issue, where you get some fairly ridiculous feuds), but there really is a wealth of information on there. There are a reasonable number of bird/wildlife photographers on there who are happy with their Sony A77s.

Personally I'm looking forward to replacing my Sony A700, but I have no personal experience with up-to-date Nikons or Canons which might be alternatives.

Andrea

Gary

Well I have had the A77 for last three months and have been impressed so far. With the 70-300G lens which is very well balanced the results have been good but I have wanted more reach so have just invested in the 70-400G after debating whether to buy the sigma 150-500OS or 50-500OS. After reading numerous reports I have gone for the sony 70-400G based largely, I hope, on IQ. To date the weather has been mainly dank and wet here in Norfolk so have not really had a proper opportunity to try it out.
I have put some of the pics with the A77 on Flickr - have a look at Hols51 - will give you some sort of idea of the camera and the 70-300G. Remember please still learning to use it and hopefully results will improve!
Also, the 16-50 lens as a "kit" lens with the A77 is just very very good.

All in all I am more than happy with the camera and now I have the 70-400 am keeping my fingers crossed we have some decent weather so I can use it.

Anyway - see what you think of my pics to date.

Cheers
Graham

ps - I think it starts to get quite noisy by about 1400, but personally try and keep ISO setting below 1000 most of the time so not a major concern.

Gary

Well I have had the A77 for last three months and have been impressed so far. With the 70-300G lens which is very well balanced the results have been good but I have wanted more reach so have just invested in the 70-400G after debating whether to buy the sigma 150-500OS or 50-500OS. After reading numerous reports I have gone for the sony 70-400G based largely, I hope, on IQ. To date the weather has been mainly dank and wet here in Norfolk so have not really had a proper opportunity to try it out.
I have put some of the pics with the A77 on Flickr - have a look at Hols51 - will give you some sort of idea of the camera and the 70-300G. Remember please still learning to use it and hopefully results will improve!
Also, the 16-50 lens as a "kit" lens with the A77 is just very very good.

All in all I am more than happy with the camera and now I have the 70-400 am keeping my fingers crossed we have some decent weather so I can use it.

Anyway - see what you think of my pics to date.

Cheers
Graham

ps - I think it starts to get quite noisy by about 1400, but personally try and keep ISO setting below 1000 most of the time so not a major concern.

I feel the same about my a65, some iso 1600 images are grainy but others have been quite good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back