• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

large bat sp in-off the sea? (1 Viewer)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
Hi,

This morning (c08;00) i had a large Bat sp fly in-off the sea at Easington, E Yorkshire.
I have no idea of the species but looked much bigger and longer winged than Pipistrelles i see regularly around my house, i would estimate it about Blackbird size although size assessment not easy given range and nothing to compare it with. it had a distinctive flight action, quite erratic with fast deep wingbeats.
Any idea's on species and how common is this (to see a Bat flying offshore)? I do a lot of sea-watching and never seen it before?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Quite a Interesting record and for the time of day at least it would surprise me I wonder if it was a daubentons bat I think thats britains biggest resident bat, non the less to witness this one like you did has to be unusual.

It won't be Daubenten's, which is a fairly small bat, and not renowned for its migration.

Most likely would be a Noctule, which is one of our largest bats and does undertake fairly long distance migration. Found on both sides of North Sea.

One of those occasions when I wish I was there with my bat detector turned on!

large bat

It won't be Daubenten's, which is a fairly small bat, and not renowned for its migration.

Most likely would be a Noctule, which is one of our largest bats and does undertake fairly long distance migration. Found on both sides of North Sea.

One of those occasions when I wish I was there with my bat detector turned on!
Hi Peter, would this be an early record for this time of the year, being chilly most nights this last april I would think makes bats harder to see when out hunting at night as opposed to a warm evening.

Hi Peter, would this be an early record for this time of the year, being chilly most nights this last april I would think makes bats harder to see when out hunting at night as opposed to a warm evening.

No, not really. I've seen Noctules particularly out in January (broad daylight) when there's been a particularly warm day!

This year my first bat was a mid-afternoon Common Pipistrelle on the 11th March, and Daubs have been skimming local ponds regularly since that date.

I agree Noctule is the likely candidate in this case although I'm sure I remember a Spurn record of a Leisler's roosting in the open on a tower during a migration period, just can't remember if it was spring or autumn.

John

I've seen a large bat come in off the sea at Spurn Point, and I think there are other similar records from the area. Bats known to migrate long distance are Noctule, Leisler's, Particoloured and Nathusius's Pipistrelle.

large bat

No, not really. I've seen Noctules particularly out in January (broad daylight) when there's been a particularly warm day!

This year my first bat was a mid-afternoon Common Pipistrelle on the 11th March, and Daubs have been skimming local ponds regularly since that date.

I agree Noctule is the likely candidate in this case although I'm sure I remember a Spurn record of a Leisler's roosting in the open on a tower during a migration period, just can't remember if it was spring or autumn.

John
Hi john, I,ve never seen a winter record before or can remember one just goes to show what you can see when in the right areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back