• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

Not really sure on this but you may have a Plasterer Bee here, possibly one of the Hylaeus species!

Shane

Thank you Shane and I will go with Hylaeus sp as it is a far better 'fit'.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to the obvious (easy) insects to I/D e.g. Sphaerophoria scripta, Mesembrina meridiana etc; and place the rest in an 'Insects of Smalley Dam' file then hopefully it will give the future generation an insight.
Thanks again Roland

Three for ID

Morning all

Hope you can help. These three critters have turned up in my garden and house of late and not knowing much about shield bugs I thought I would try and ID. Suggestions are:

1. Birch shieldbug
2. Juniper shieldbug
3. Something else - not a shieldbug but an interesting and large beast! I'm going for Western conifer seed bug based on this:

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Coreidae/leptoglossus_occidentalis.html

It was inside the house so maybe trying to hibernate.

Any help appreciated thanks.

P

Attachments

• Shield Bug 1.jpg
    Shield Bug 1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Shield Bug 2.jpg
    Shield Bug 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Bug 1.jpg
    Bug 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Thanks both

Flushed with success I headed into the garden this afternoon with an umbrella and stick and bashed these from the bushes. Suggestions:

1. Green shield bug (c13mm)
2. Hawthorn shield bug (c13mm)
3. Birch again (8-9mm)
4. Parent bug? (c8mm)

But please correct me if these are wrong!!

Cheers,
P

Attachments

• green SB 1.jpg
    green SB 1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Hawthorn SB.jpg
    Hawthorn SB.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Birch SB.jpg
    Birch SB.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Parent bug.jpg
    Parent bug.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 209
Not the best photo I've ever taken, but hopefully this is enough for someone to tell me what this is?
It was by a pond in north Wiltshire, with a hawthorn hedge and mixed woodland nearby.

Hello,

Your Shieldbug is P. rufipes, or The Forest Shieldbug which is by no means confined to forests, it's virtually everywhere. The red legs and the 'Joan Collins Dynasty style shoulder pads' give it away.

Harry

I found this really small shieldbug on a silver birch in our garden. It seems to be sitting on eggs. Sorry the photo is a bit dark - it was evening. I assume it's a common species.

Attachments

• small shield bug ex IMG_8207 (cropped).jpg
    small shield bug ex IMG_8207 (cropped).jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 88
Yes- not a great photo but looks good for Parent Bug, Elasmucha grisea, with her nymphs below her. Usually on birch or alder.

Thanks, Aeshna,
Here's another photo. I don't like it as much but perhaps it shows the parent bug better.

Attachments

• IMG_8208-002.JPG
    IMG_8208-002.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 101
Thanks, Aeshna,
Here's another photo. I don't like it as much but perhaps it shows the parent bug better.

'Stink bugs' is a common name for those in my area, our households keep infested by those regularly.
It's a female bug which is obvious, not only because of eggs but the size and the shield shape. It also seems like a brown marmorated bug for me, check this article if you want to compare. If it's in your garden I would recommend if not whacking it, but to transfer somewhere else, to the nearest forest maybe.

'Stink bugs' is a common name for those in my area, our households keep infested by those regularly.
It's a female bug which is obvious, not only because of eggs but the size and the shield shape. It also seems like a brown marmorated bug for me, check this article if you want to compare. If it's in your garden I would recommend if not whacking it, but to transfer somewhere else, to the nearest forest maybe.

It's a Parent Bug + there is no need to be alarmist. No problem with these being in the garden. They are not going to infest a house. If one accidentally gets in it won't be able to survive without food.

I saw this shield bug? in Sri Lanka. in the Sinharaja forest area in December last year.
I feel kind of helpless:-C having to ask for help with nearly every insect exept butterflies. Does anyone know of a good site for Sri Lankan insects? Are there any books that are not too expensive than you know of that I could buy?

Thanks very much for your help.

Attachments

• ARD_3682.JPG
    ARD_3682.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ARD_3688.JPG
    ARD_3688.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back