• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tittesworth reservoir, Staffordshire, UK bird ID help (1 Viewer)

Hiya,

I was wondering if any body could help me identify this bird, seen at tittesworth water (Staffordshire, UK) at the weekend?

It was the only one I could spot...

Apologies for the terrible photo :)

Attachments

• 20190415_102541.jpg
    20190415_102541.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Common Sandpiper I reckon

Owww, interesting! Thank you!

Earlier in the day, a much more experienced birdwatcher than myself helped me spot a common sand piper right in front of the hide, and it was a lot smaller than this appeared to be...And a lot smaller than I expected (maybe approx black bird sized), this one appeared much bigger (maybe somewhere inbetween a pigeon and a mallard), could this just be perspective playing tricks on me?

I should add the photo was taken through my binoculars (10×42) :)

Last edited:
More terrible photos:

:D

(Thank you for your help...I am just getting into the hobby and am keen to learn :))

Attachments

• DSC03551.jpg
    DSC03551.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC03549.jpg
    DSC03549.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Looks like a Greenshank to me, though only viewing on a small screen.

RB

Looks big next to those ringed plovers in the last photo. Possibly greenshank

Owww that's exciting ^_^

Are dunlin or knot possibilities? My basis for these is purely because those birds where on the posters of the hide 😂

Would you mind explaining what makes you think Greenshank? Like I say, I'm learning so all of your knowledge is very much appreciated :D

I'm for Greenshank too - large size compared to the Ringed Plover, pale breast and head, and dark wings.

Dunlin is small (same size as Ringed Plover); Knot is a coastal bird, very rare inland (the posters in the hide were presumably published with more sales in mind than just inland locations!).

I'm for Greenshank too - large size compared to the Ringed Plover, pale breast and head, and dark wings.

Dunlin is small (same size as Ringed Plover); Knot is a coastal bird, very rare inland (the posters in the hide were presumably published with more sales in mind than just inland locations!).

Thank you! Very helpful ^_^

Owww that's exciting ^_^

... Like I say, I'm learning so all of your knowledge is very much appreciated :D

Have you joined Sheffield Bird Study Group, 'Nuthatch'? I can recommend it; your knowledge will grow in leaps & bounds and you'll find out where to go and what's about in your local area. Drop me a PM if you want/need further info.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back