• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment bag? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hello,

I am looking for a camera bag but cant figure out which one go for.
I have been mainly looking at the Lowepro photo trekker AW II
but after having seen the measurements this looks like a MASSIVE rucksack,
far bigger than what I need (I think).
I want to get the following into the bag :dslr, 100-400 lens, 18-50lens, coolpix4500, digiscoping adaptor, the little bits and bobs for those cameras, gitzo ball head, manfrotto 128rc head.
Im hoping I dont need a massive rucksack for that lot. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a rucksack over a normal camera bag.

Cheers
Pete.

Ps. before someone says go to your local camera shop and try out the bags.
The only camera shop over here that would have a choice of rucksacks is Jessops and I refuse to go in that shop out of principal :)

peteh Ps. before someone says go to your local camera shop and try out the bags. The only camera shop over here that would have a choice of rucksacks is Jessops and I refuse to go in that shop out of principal :)[/QUOTE said:
Go in to Jessops and try out all the bags - then order the one you want from Warehouse Express !!!

Have a look at the lowepro site - they give good photographs of the bags (multiple views) and interior and exterior measurements. I'd have thought the AW mini trekker might do you but I'm not sure how big your lens is. I can't recommend lowepro kit highly enough.

Regards Richard

Pete one of the Billingham bags would be ideal,the downside is the cost,you can find selection of them on the warehouse express site under photographic.

John

What have all those nice Jessops people done to upset you, Pete ;) :eek!:

I'm not keen on the rucksack idea - landscape photographers who take a considered approach to their subject may have the time to use them but I've never seen a (pro) photographer, who has to work quickly - which a bird-photographer may do - using them.

Also, the bigger the bag, the more temptation there is to take all your kit 'just in case' and you end up taking less shots.

I would suggest carrying the most frequently required kit over a shoulder with the rest in pockets in one of those multi-pocket jackets or perhaps one of those 'Street and Field' harnesses - I'm thinking about one of these for summer use next year.

Sorry I can't go near a Jessops or I might get "crap shop rage"!

The bag was more for keeping my gear together and protected so I can just grab it, chuck it in the car and go. Rather than a carry around when I'm out type bag.
(When I'm out and about the camera is always on my shoulder).
Ill have a look at that mini trekker ta Richard.
Pete.

Hi Pete.

For what it`s worth I use the Lowepro aw mini trekker,it easily takes my 135-400mm sigma with lens hood attached & eos10d with room at the sides for all the bits & bobs.On the outside theres two compartments one of which house my bins.On the sides you can attach lens cases & there is even bungy type cord to attach a tripod.Cost me about £100 although i`m sure you could get it a bit cheaper.

Regards Steve.

Hello,

Ive been looking at that minitrekker and I dont think it would fit everything I needed.
So I have had another look at the photo trekker AW II and found that if you dont have the daypack attached the depth is only 9 inchs. It was the depth I was worrying about as I didnt want to topple over backwards. :)

I have found it for £175 inc P&P from a place called
http://www.cameramarts.co.uk/
has anyone used these before ?
(I would prefer to buy from the uk rather than chancing ebay and custom charges.)

Cheers
Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back