• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 20-60 eye piece work with other brands? (1 Viewer)

Dhofer

Hello and thank you in advance.
I have a Swarovski 20-60 eye piece and wanted to know if I can also use this on other brands of scopes such as Leica, Vortex and others.
My background is still photography and my spotting scope knowledge is poor.
Thank you!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

There are some chinese (and one japanese) made scopes which use a clone of the Swaro EP bayonet and Swaro EPs fit. Otherwise you'll have to adapt it and whether this is possible at all really depends on how wide the EP mount is in the scope body in question.

Off the top of my head - Zen-Ray 82ED, Vortex Razor, Kite SP 82 ED - the Kite one seems to be made by Kamakura in Japan, I think the others are chinese. There might be more

Joachim

It only fits the older model of Vortex Razor not the latest one.
It does fit another brand that I have at home but the name escapes me at the moment.
I'll try to dig it out later or possibly not til the weekend.

Edit- Helios Fieldmaster 85 ED is what I was trying to remember.
I am willing to sell it or my Vortex Razor 65 if you're interested? Pm me if you want to.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

There are some chinese (and one japanese) made scopes which use a clone of the Swaro EP bayonet and Swaro EPs fit. Otherwise you'll have to adapt it and whether this is possible at all really depends on how wide the EP mount is in the scope body in question.

Off the top of my head - Zen-Ray 82ED, Vortex Razor, Kite SP 82 ED - the Kite one seems to be made by Kamakura in Japan, I think the others are chinese. There might be more

Joachim
Great information. Thank you for your time.
DH

Not a different brand, but the ATS/ATM 20-60 also fits the older Swaro AT/ST 80 scopes. And is a very nice upgrade over the older 20-60 eyepiece.

Not a different brand, but the ATS/ATM 20-60 also fits the older Swaro AT/ST 80 scopes. And is a very nice upgrade over the older 20-60 eyepiece.

Bill, you remind me that the older Swarovski eps also fit other brands.
I used the older 22x designed for the AT/STs on an ATM65 and Vortex Razor. Quite nice if you don’t mind having only 55* afov.

Also, talking of the other brands, don’t forget that the magnification is different with different scope focal lengths.
So on my Razor 65 there is a 20% reduction in mag. Swarovski 30x is 24x, 20 becomes 16, and so on. On the Helios FM85 it stays the same however.
Real fov increases correspondingly with lower mag too.

I found a Swarovski Habicht AT80 in excellent condition local for $700. Would this be a decent deal to mesh with the 20-60 eye piece I already have?

Bill, you remind me that the older Swarovski eps also fit other brands.
I used the older 22x designed for the AT/STs on an ATM65 and Vortex Razor. Quite nice if you don’t mind having only 55* afov.

Also, talking of the other brands, don’t forget that the magnification is different with different scope focal lengths.
So on my Razor 65 there is a 20% reduction in mag. Swarovski 30x is 24x, 20 becomes 16, and so on. On the Helios FM85 it stays the same however.
Real fov increases correspondingly with lower mag too.

I stopped at a local Cabellas today and the Swawovski 20-60 fit on the Vortex Viper HD 85mm but they do not sell the scope with out eye piece.

I stopped at a local Cabellas today and the Swawovski 20-60 fit on the Vortex Viper HD 85mm but they do not sell the scope with out eye piece.

Is that the older model Razor with the grey and green body? If so, the ep is a clone of the Swaro zoom. It's a good EP but the usable eye relief seemed less than the Swaro zoom to me.
The Razor I have came with the zoom. I then bought Swaro fixed EPs and an adapter so I could try astronomy EPs.
I doubt there would be much cost saving in buying a Razor without EP.

Is that the older model Razor with the grey and green body? If so, the ep is a clone of the Swaro zoom. It's a good EP but the usable eye relief seemed less than the Swaro zoom to me.
The Razor I have came with the zoom. I then bought Swaro fixed EPs and an adapter so I could try astronomy EPs.
I doubt there would be much cost saving in buying a Razor without EP.

It was the cheaper Viper HD model. $900 for scope with zoom eye piece. I can’t justify spending over $2000 on a scope right now. Being a photographer I know and appreciate good glass. But I know it’s going to be used very little unlike my camera lenses that get used and make me side money. Kinda leaning towards the older AT80.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTEX-VIPER-HD-SPOTTING-SCOPE/2768963.uts?slotId=1

Last edited:
Hi,

I would say a plain glass AT80 body only for $700 is a bit overpriced... I would say $500 tops for a used example... There is one for 750 on ebay atm, but I'd say it's an exception as it is like new in box (actually freshly refurbished by Swaro). You can get an AT80 HD with EP for that money with some patience...

Joachim

Hi,

I would say a plain glass AT80 body only for $700 is a bit overpriced... I would say $500 tops for a used example... There is one for 750 on ebay atm, but I'd say it's an exception as it is like new in box (actually freshly refurbished by Swaro). You can get an AT80 HD with EP for that money with some patience...

Joachim

Thank you for your experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back