• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Service (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
I need to send my 8.5X42 in for service. When they say remove all accessories what exactly are they talking about? I removed the strap but I like to leave lens caps on for shipment protection. TIA for any advice.

When I sent mine in I removed both the rain guard and the objective covers. Just wrap in some bubble wrap and all will be good. You won't be disappointed with there service.

My 8.5X42 SV came back today as good or better than new. Since we were on vacation while the bin was in for repair I asked it be held until we returned home. It's quite challenging to sign for a package when you're a few hundred miles distant! The folks at Swarovski, as always, were top notch. Thanks Lisa for responding to several emails.

While at Cape May for three weeks I used my 10X50 SV almost exclusively. What a joy. One day I used my 7X42 Ultravid (2004) to see how it would compare. Though the 7X image is obviously smaller than 10X the Ultravid center field is so sharp that it doesn't make a huge difference identifying distant raptors. Optical clarity coupled with birding skill is all you need to enjoy a day of birding. If you can handle 10X fine; if not 7/8X will get the job done quite nicely. Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer.

Last summer I started using a bandolier strap (Vortex optics archer's strap) and it has proven most effective at eliminating pressure on my neck muscles. The Vortex strap has very long padding which slides effortlessly over sweaters, jackets, etc. I highly recommend it. PS...I do not care for harness straps.

My 8.5X42 SV developed slippage in the diopter or internal focus mechanism resulting in a random (though extremely minimal) difference between the two scopes. My aging eyes noticed it and Swarovski fixed it. The focus is smooooth, the diopter is back to 0 for my corrected eyes, hinge stiffness is perfect and they installed new eyecups. I believe the armor was also replaced. Collimation must be dead on because it snaps to focus instantly and there's zero eye strain during extended viewing. Zero charge.

Thanks again to all the folks at Swarovski Optik in Cranston, Rhode Island! :t::t:

My 8.5X42 SV came back today as good or better than new. Since we were on vacation while the bin was in for repair I asked it be held until we returned home. It's quite challenging to sign for a package when you're a few hundred miles distant! The folks at Swarovski, as always, were top notch. Thanks Lisa for responding to several emails.

While at Cape May for three weeks I used my 10X50 SV almost exclusively. What a joy. One day I used my 7X42 Ultravid (2004) to see how it would compare. Though the 7X image is obviously smaller than 10X the Ultravid center field is so sharp that it doesn't make a huge difference identifying distant raptors. Optical clarity coupled with birding skill is all you need to enjoy a day of birding. If you can handle 10X fine; if not 7/8X will get the job done quite nicely. Handshake, the bane of higher powers, can be a real image killer.

Last summer I started using a bandolier strap (Vortex optics archer's strap) and it has proven most effective at eliminating pressure on my neck muscles. The Vortex strap has very long padding which slides effortlessly over sweaters, jackets, etc. I highly recommend it. PS...I do not care for harness straps.

My 8.5X42 SV developed slippage in the diopter or internal focus mechanism resulting in a random (though extremely minimal) difference between the two scopes. My aging eyes noticed it and Swarovski fixed it. The focus is smooooth, the diopter is back to 0 for my corrected eyes, hinge stiffness is perfect and they installed new eyecups. I believe the armor was also replaced. Collimation must be dead on because it snaps to focus instantly and there's zero eye strain during extended viewing. Zero charge.

Thanks again to all the folks at Swarovski Optik in Cranston, Rhode Island! :t::t:

With a special thanks to Gail. :cat:

Bill

Great news, Pileatus!! :t:

Beginning of the year, sent in my 10X50SV...also came back from SONA Better than new!! Focus is now Silky Smooth and void of Any stickion (was slowly developing). Have never felt focuser smoothness as precise and accurate as these!! :king:

Ted

I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.

You're quite right that the 10x42 is rare in the field, despite its virtues.
In 10 years of birding travel, I've seen just one pro with a unit, well worn, on a pelagic out of Hokkaido, Japan.
The problem is that repairs are costly and the warranty is short, under 3 years. While the glass is very robust and reliable, (mine went 9 years without a glitch), customers want more peace of mind than that.

I have more than once. Nice view but bulky and heavy. I've yet to meet a birder in the field using this model. There's got to be a reason I'm unaware of.
The Canon 10x42 IS-L's are only 3 oz. heavier than the Swarovski 10x50 SV's. That's nothing when you are talking almost 3 pounds. The Canon's are bulky compared to the SV's though. It is just hard to make an IS binocular with the electrical and mechanical components as sleek and ergonomic as a normal roof prism. Maybe the MKII Canon will address those problems. It is nice to have a steady view though. It makes you realize how much you really shake when using regular binoculars. Glad you had good service with Swarovski. I always did to. They are a very good company to deal with.

Great news, Pileatus!! :t:

Beginning of the year, sent in my 10X50SV...also came back from SONA Better than new!! Focus is now Silky Smooth and void of Any stickion (was slowly developing). Have never felt focuser smoothness as precise and accurate as these!! :king:

Ted

Same thing for me and my 10x50SV's. I dropped mine in the sand and kicked them around a little before I realized what I had done. Swaro sent them back in pristine condition, and yes, with a smooth focuser. Swaro rocks.

You're quite right that the 10x42 is rare in the field, despite its virtues.
In 10 years of birding travel, I've seen just one pro with a unit, well worn, on a pelagic out of Hokkaido, Japan.
The problem is that repairs are costly and the warranty is short, under 3 years. While the glass is very robust and reliable, (mine went 9 years without a glitch), customers want more peace of mind than that.
I think 9 years without a problem is pretty good for a electromechanical device. The Canon's are a pretty sophisticated instrument. But the warranty is short. It is like Canon doesn't have too much confidence in them. But most people seem to have pretty good luck with their longevity based on the comments on Bird Forum anyway.

Last edited:

Great news! They seem to always take care of their customers. Anything else would be the exception rather than the rule. I believe having a warranty center here in the USA sure helps those of us here with timely service.

I saw ONE at MaGee Marsh last year. The only one I've ever seen other than myself!;) The reason I don't use it more is ergonomics, eye relief, and weight mostly. I'm not that crazy about carrying/holding a 40 ounce 10X42 when a SV 10X42 weighs in at 30 ounces.

That's the best you can do?

I deleted that a minute after posting as I thought it unnecessarily provocative..but it lives on now...

hey, I'm a big fan of Swaro's - love the view through all the SV's and think the SLC is superb - BUT - they really do have some serious focus durability issues as evidenced by the large numbers reported here / elsewhere and from what I hear from friends / colleagues that are owners, as well as my experience hands-on with a half-dozen or so SV's. The only one that was smooth was the 10x50 SV - all the 8.5's were terribly notchy / sticky and imprecise.

And, to be completely fair, it is evident to me that there is way too much variation in QA when it comes to Zeiss alphas. It seems pretty hit-or-miss if you are going to get a good unit and, if you are spending $2000+ on a bin, they all should be perfect. I've been vocal about this before, as well as the horrible eye-cups that Zeiss foisted onto Conquest HD owners.

So, I can be an equal opportunity b*tch-er ;]

Last edited:
James. I will support you concerning the Swarovski focus durability issues. I have had many Swarovski's and I have had several problems with them all with the focus wheels being notchy, sticky and imprecise. I sent a couple into SONA for issues. I gave up on Swarovski's because I don't care for their focus wheels. They do have good optics and good service though but I grew tired of dealing with a poor focuser on a $2K binocular.

Last edited:
You're a professional, that's for sure.

I'm one of those who thinks "who gives a ratsazzz that a Swaro focuser isn't silky smooth"? TSwarovski sees the rest of the alpha makers in their rear view mirror.

It is a matter of usage.

Hunters don't use the focuser as much as birders do.

Bob

It's certainly preferable to have a nice smooth focus action. I'd rather the focus be done right with no issues.
When I had the CL 8x30 it had a couple of gritty spots in the focus, but I didn't pay it too much mind.
I liked most other aspects of the bino and the imperfect focus action wasn't a deal killer for me.

I do think the new CL will have improved focus just like the Field Pro SV's have been improved.
Tried a FP SV 8x32 a few weeks back for the first time and found the focus action to be excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back