• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Used Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
This is is something I was thinking about while having a discussion with another user... my best and favorite binoculars are very/rarely, if ever, my most used. Working as a biologist, I always have a pair of binoculars in my work truck, either for surveys or incidental observations, and these are by far a result my most used binoculars. Currently, that means my 8x42 Vanguard Endeavour EDIV are getting far more use than my 7x42 Ultravid HD, which I much prefer from an optics standpoint; however, one cost roughly 1/3-1/4th of the other, and so the Leica only gets used when I know it's not going to be a rough and tumble kind of birding day.

I know some others on this forum must be in this same quandary as me... Occasionally I will wonder why I spent as much as I did on binoculars that get used, maybe, 1/3 to 1/2 the time as a much cheaper pair, but then I'll compare the views and build quality, etc. and remind myself quite quickly...

Justin

For daytime wildlife observing the most used bins are Nikon 8x30 EII. Easily carried, quick to focus and delightful viewing.

Also have favorites for backyard astronomy and general purpose.

Hi,

that's a close call between the 8x30 E2 (sitting right beside my balcony door) and the Papilio 6.5x21 (which is currently my backpack pair while cycling to work).

Joachim

For the last couple of months the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B.

So easy to use with that new "eye box."! :t:

Bob

8x32 Conquest HD - bullet-proof, great multi-tasker with fast and precise focus, handy / compact and [nearly] as pleasing to use in most situations as my HT. My field survey bin as well as my travel bin most of the time.

I'm sure I've put thousands of field hours on the HD's since getting them.

Nikon 8x30E2 with binobandit to eliminate straylight and make the view more “immersive”. Small, compact, wide comfortable view.

Peter

Hell,

My Zeiss 8x32 FL. Of the three 8x32 binoculars, which I have ownned, the Zeiss, the SE and the Leica BN, the Zeiss meets my needs the best.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

I'm kind of like the OP. My favorite, best, and go to are the Maven B2 9x45 and the B3 8x30. Which one I use depends on what size fits the days use the best. However the most used over the past several years have been the Opticron Discovery WP 8x32. This is because its diminutive size fits in the saddlebag of the ATV I use daily during growing and harvest seasons. Next most is likely an Opticron Imagic VHD 8x42 which is right now my pickup binocular.

If I'm walking around (especially with camera gear), it's the Kowa Genesis 8x33. If I'm mostly using binos or have the camera setup for focus trapping (so it's on a tripod and I'm free), it's the Zeiss HT 10x42. The Zeiss are always in my truck.

Marc

My 8.5x42 SVFP, the 8x32 SVFP takes over as most used on long Summer evenings. these are my only two right now.

Swarovski 8.5x42 ELSV late production pre-FP
Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket

These are my most-used and also my most-liked bins.

--AP

I use two the most when it really matters and those two are a Leica HD Plus 7X42 and a SV 8X32. Quite honestly I probably use the Leica the MOST. #3 is probably a tie between a FL 7X42 and a SLC 8X42.

It's hard to beat those three in the picture below...

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 315
I use two the most when it really matters and those two are a Leica HD Plus 7X42 and a SV 8X32. Quite honestly I probably use the Leica the MOST. #3 is probably a tie between a FL 7X42 and a SLC 8X42.

It's hard to beat those three in the picture below...

Same here, 7x42 UV HD+ is my most used allround binocular.
Canip

My 'best' binocular is also my most used - FL 8x32. I've got the Pocket 8x25, but i figure that will get more of an airing in Spring/Summer when the light improves.
A Nikon 8x30EII is lovely on a nice dry day, and i rarely take 8x42s out at all anymore. I've probably got the pupil dilation of Lee Van Cleef in a face-off.

Sadly my least favorite. Vortex crossfire 8x42. It's the only one that gets left out around the house (small kids can and will break anything) on account of the warranty. My nice ones are put away carefully and taken out when I have something I know I will need a bino for.

Hello,

From the previous posts, it seems that 8x30/33 are favoured by almost half. If anyone named two, I counted that as a half, so I count 8 out of 17.This small sample is counter to current wisdom that the 32mm binoculars are unpopular. Of course, I count eleven North Americans and one post by someone who spends time in Barbados, which might skew results to the smaller objective.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
My favorite and most used birding binocular is SF 8x42. When I travel or if I am out and about where birding is not the primary activity I take the Victory 8x25. I probably spend more hours looking through the 8x42, but I have the 8x25 with me much more often so they get a lot of use too.

Alan

My Opticron Verano BGA HD 8x32 Binoculars are always in the car and get used daily between work appointments. My 8x42 SLC get taken out when I am going birding and are not likely to get stolen by a car break in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back