• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to identify a flying bird (1 Viewer)

strohgun

Hello. New guy here from NW Ohio. Have a question about a local bird that I can`t identify. This may be a simple question for the pros, but a couple of neighbors and I are "stumped"
It appears to be between Grackle and NightHawk size. This dude flies fast, and covers a lot of sky. He flies in circles, dives, climbs, etc. Almost like he`s eating insects, but I don`t think there`s any around here yet. Biggest thing is when he`s flying at a certain angle, his wings whistle. Similar to a Dove, but a higher pitch and faster.
He flies too high and fast for me to get a close look at him with binoculars, and I can`t tell any colors (I`m colorblind). He appears to have a obvious neck, and the wings seem swept back-like a Kite maybe? He`ll do this for a long time, then he`s gone. Then I`ll see him again in a day or two. Could this be a "mating display" or something? Someone thought Wood Duck, but I don`t think so.
Sorry if this is dumb, long-winded question, but I would really like to know what it is.
Thanks,
strohgun

I am thinking Snipe: the European counterpart has a flight for territorial display that sounds similar - except that the sound would not be the same. For Wilson's snipe the sound produced when they dive is described as a low whistle similar to Boreal Owl's song (Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu) - but actually comes from a tail feather, not the wing.

Niels

Thanks guys. I did some searching on Allaboutbirds.org, and listened to a recording of a Wilson`s Snipe. That sure sounds like it! Although, it doesn`t really look like the picture, and I can`t see a long bill. But again, this guy flies fast and high, and I don`t have the best eyesight anymore. Even with binoculars it`s tough to see detail. Maybe I can find a video of a Snipe in flight.
I think this may be him....
Thanks again!
strohgun

Definitely a Wison`s Snipe. My little buddy was back again this morning, and he flew right over me. Was watching with binoculars and the sun was at the right angel. Actually got to see the light-colored belly, and a long bill. Of course I heard the whistling before I could spot him, so I got lucky this morning and had a great sighting. He really is a cool bird!
Thanks,
strohgun

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back