• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus sp. (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone!

I recorded this bird a long time ago in a mountain area in the north of Guadalajara (Spain). I know the quality is not excellent, but I hope you can tell me what bird it is. I know is a Phylloscopus bird, but I don't think it is the common one.

In this link you can see a picture and a video of the bird and I will soon post a close-up picture too.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IY_HnxD6lzCHhV5QrNmn6DeatW3mIH2n?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Which is the "common one" you mention and how does this bird differ? For me, from your photo, it is neither Bonnelli's nor Willow Warbler but the image has a lot of green wash that confuses the overall impression. I am leaning towards Wood Warbler.

It would help to form an opinion if the date was mentioned. Assuming the photo was taken in the last days or so, I'd go for Willow Warbler or Iberian Chiffchaff. Both are also the most likely in the first half of April (Ib Chiff arrives mainly through early-mid March and WW is a regular passage bird). Wood Warbler is a scarce passage migrant at best and most records tend to occur late April/early May. I think the PP isn't long enough for Wood, though not easy to judge with these photos. The green colours, seemingly a bit intensified, could fit well for Iberian Chiffchaff and also Willow Warbler. Not sure though and if the photo was taken between Nov and Feb its almost got to be a Common Chiffchaff, not that it looks like one - but photos like these can be very deceiving.

edit; Ok, I didn't read the OP carefully - I see the photos were taken "a long time ago". Not that one can get any definitive ID from this IMO - but the date could help eliminate one or two possibles.

Last edited:
the date could help eliminate one or two possibles.

Assuming the date stamped on both pic and video is correct, this bird was seen on the 23rd August 2017. So basically, based on date alone, it could be any of the aforementioned species except Common Chiffchaff.
Personally, I wouldn't venture an ID based on these images, as (low) quality will make an ID error quite likely.

... Wood Warbler is a scarce passage migrant at best and most records tend to occur late April/early May. ....
As an aside, Wood Warblers are already arriving on breeding territories in northern Britain in late April, so I'd expect them to be passing through Spain 2-3 weeks earlier at least?

As an aside, Wood Warblers are already arriving on breeding territories in northern Britain in late April, so I'd expect them to be passing through Spain 2-3 weeks earlier at least?

True, but I suspect maybe as most of the passage of these comes from the south east, that we tend to get them a bit later. They are actually still an official rarity in Portugal, with most records being through last days of April and early May. (I've seen/found 4 ;)).

Assuming the date stamped on both pic and video is correct, this bird was seen on the 23rd August 2017. So basically, based on date alone, it could be any of the aforementioned species except Common Chiffchaff.
Personally, I wouldn't venture an ID based on these images, as (low) quality will make an ID error quite likely.

Doh...on my part - didn't notice the date stamp!

Even though the quality of the pic is poor & we can't confidently id this bird I think we can at least rule out Wood Warbler on wing length alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back