• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (1 Viewer)

Another failure Ridgwayornis. Gr. ορνις ornis, ορνιθος ornithos bird. Diagnosis not yet seen (A. Bertoni 1926, Revista de la Sociedad Cientifica del Paraguay, 2 (1) (1925), 69).
"Long out of print and difficult to find even in Paraguay the Revista de la Sociedad Cientifica del Paraguay was the principal vehicle for scientific publication in the country during the early 20th Century. It published articles, notes and commentaries on the various sciences, with the emphasis on life sciences All articles were published in Spanish." A website has a few articles including one by Bertoni.
http://www.faunaparaguay.com/revsoccien.html . Showing his middle name as de Winkelreid.

The Paper including Ridgwayornis is most likely ...

Bertoni, A. de W. [Arnaldo de Winkelried Bertoni]. 1925. Aves Paraguayas poco conocidas. Revista de la Sociedad Científica del Paraguay 2(1): 68-70.

A paper hard to find, but ... apparently found on Facebook!

If of any help?

Björn (not a "Facebooker")

The paper is not available there. Facebook creates automatic pages based in interests cited by someone or found in third-party lists (such as bibliographies).

Last edited:
• Subgenus Amirafra "Bianchi 1907" (1906?) "Diagnosis not yet seen" is to be seen in Izviestiia Imperatorskoi akademii nauk (a k a Bulletin de l'Académie impériale des sciences de St.-Pétersbourg) = here

Same paper also includes "Otocorydopsis gen. nov." (p.29).

Enjoy!

Björn

• Genus Caudolanius Bianchi 1907
(syn. Lanius Ϯ Long-tailed Shrike L. schach) L. cauda tail; genus Lanius Linnaeus, 1758, shrike. Diagnosis not yet verified.
Біанки ВЛ. (Bianchi VL.) 1907. Матеріалы для авифауны Монголіи и восточнаго Тибета. (Aves expeditionis PK Kozlowi per Mongoliam et Tibetam orientalem 1899-1901.) In: Козлов ПК. Монголія и Камъ. Изд. Имп. Русск. Геогр. Общ., 5. Imperial Academy of Sciences, St-Petersburg. p. 60. [djvu]

In a somewhat modernized spelling:
Группу сорокопутов, к которой относятся L. erythronotus Vig., L. tephronotus Vig., L. bentet Horsf., L. schach Linn., L. nigriceps Frankl., L. cephalomelus Bonap. и L. fuscatus Less., я выделяю в особый род, Caudolanius, характеризующийся не резко разноцветным, темнобурым или черным хвостом, который по крайней мере на 8 mm., обыкновенно же много длиннее крыла, и резким цветовым контрастом между верхним кроющими хвоста и средними рулями. Типом этого рода избираю L. erythronotus Vig.

= "The group of shrikes, which includes L. erythronotus Vig., L. tephronotus Vig., L. bentet Horsf., L. schach Linn., L. nigriceps Frankl., L. cephalomelus Bonap. and L. fuscatus Less., I distinguish in a special genus, Caudolanius, characterized by a not dramatically colourful, dark brown or black tail, which is at least 8 mm., usually much longer than the wing, and by a sharp color contrast between the upper coverts of the tail and the middle 'rudders' [= quills?]. As type of this genus I choose L. erythronotus Vig."

The derivation is presumably correct, the type might possibly be better cited as "L. schach erythronotus"...? (I'm not sure what the policy is in this type of cases; in [HBW Online], erythronotus forms (with caniceps) a distinctive sspp group with English name "Indian Long-tailed Shrike".)

Is there a way to find out which diagnoses have not been seen/verified, other than by searching the Key for every name?

Psittacula Jarocki 1821
● (syn. Cyclorrhynchus Ϯ Parakeet Auklet C. psittacula) Specific name Alca psittacula Pallas, 1769. Diagnosis not yet seen (Jarocki 1821, Zoologiia, II, 306).
The OD (in Polish) is [here], p. 306.

Three included nominal species: "trzy gatunki (Alca Psittacula, Alca cristalla i Alca tetracula GL.)".
I.e.: Alca psittacula Pallas 1769, A. cristatella Pallas 1769, A. tetracula Pallas 1769, all of which are cited from Pallas by [Gmelin 1789] ("GL" = Gmelin/Linnaeus).
A. psittacula is the type by tautonymy.

Laurent, Thank you for Caudolanius and Tunchiornis. I have briefly explained the rationale behind the identification of type species under the symbol Ϯ in the Standard Abbreviations and Symbols (part x of the Key). I try to be as accurate as possible, relying on the verification of types by Peters, Sharpe, and Howard & Moore 4. However, synonymous names tend to be difficult without sight of the original diagnosis. At the moment I am (yet again!) re-editing the Key to ensure that every generic entry (current and synonymous) contains the appropriate information from the original diagnosis (i.e. first use of name, type species, etymology).
I have a list of "Diagnoses and Descriptions Unseen", but it is not complete (and I still have to go through M - Z!), so I have asked Ferran Gil of Lynx Edicions if it would be possible for readers to search the Key for a specific word, group of words or sentence. I hope his reply will be positive.
In appreciation of your support and that of other BirdForum aficionados.
All harmony
James

PS just seen Cyclorrhynchus (I must have missed it, since I can access Jarocki 1821 (e.g. Crinifer, Remiz)).

Sitagroides Roberts 1947
(syn. Ploceus Ϯ Strange Weaver P. alienus) Genus Sitagra Reichenbach, 1850, weaver; Gr. -οιδης -oidēs resembling. Diagnosis not yet seen (A. Roberts 1947, Ostrich, 18, 81).
The OD is [here], but behind a pay wall. Introduced as follows:
c. Plumage olive yellowish above and yellow with some chestnut below. head black in both sexes; bill black, long and slender as in Hyphanturgus; size small, wing 70, tail 55, tarsus 21-23. culmen 19-20 mm.: SITAGROIDES, gen. nov., genotype Sitagra aliena Sharpe; also includes subpersonata).

I have a list of "Diagnoses and Descriptions Unseen", but it is not complete (and I still have to go through M - Z!), so I have asked Ferran Gil of Lynx Edicions if it would be possible for readers to search the Key for a specific word, group of words or sentence. I hope his reply will be positive.
Yes, that would be useful.
I've been using [Google, searching on: site:https://www.hbw.com/dictionary and "diagnosis not"]. This gives some results, but not that many, thus I presume it's not complete.

'Plautus' Gunnerus 1761
● (syn. Alle Ϯ Little Auk A. alle) Diagnosis not yet seen (Gunnerus 1761, Trondheimske Selskabs Skrifter, I, 263, pl. 6; now treated as non-binominal).
Text [here], plate [here].
Note the journal is Trondhiemske Selskabs Skrifter.

For treatment as non-binominal, see [Op. 999].

Last edited:
Oreospiza Keitel 1857
● (syn. Montifringilla Ϯ White-winged Snowfinch M. nivalis) Diagnosis not yet seen (Keitel 1857).
The OD is [here].
No expressed diagnosis; two taxonomic species included, "Oreospiza nivalis, alpicola, leucura" and [O.] "arctoa s. Gebleri".
Richmond 1917 [here] designated Fringilla nivalis Linn. 1766 as the type.

Laurent, Thanks for Plautus. Ferran tells me that Lynx cannot provide a formula for the public to search inside the definitions, but he has provided me with a working list of generic entries that include the text "Diagnosis not yet". It has 226 entries, so here goes with a first batch of names only: Abroscopus, Acridiornis, Aenigmatolimnas, Aethiopinetta, Allasma, Amnicola, Amoravis, Amphispizopsis, Andichenodes, Androphobus, Annamornus, Anomalanthana, Anthophagana, Apatelornis, Apoia, Arctositta, Argentiphilemon, Ashbyia, Atraphornis, Automoliana, Bahila, Barbatula, Barbatulides, Baruwaia, Baryrhynchodes, Basiliscus, Bathyrynchus, Belocercus, Bensonhyphantes, Bertholdipelia, Boetticherella, Bonaparteis, Borisia, Bournsia, Brachyrynchus, Brahmapicus, Brubru, Buccokitta, Buettikoferella, Calliptilodes, Calpata, Capella, Cardeos, Carpophagella, Carpospiza, Cassowara, Caturates, Ceciliella, Cecractana, Celebesica, Celeopicos, Cercomacroides, Chapinortyx, Charitochelidon, Chenogeranus, Chionogaster, Chionomitris, Chloroceryle, Chloromunia, Chloropogon, Chlorostola, Chrysominla, Chrysophrys, Chrysopicos, Cinnyrorhyncha, Cittura, Clamosocircus, Coeliola, Communis, Corythornis, Cossyphicula, Cristemberiza, Cryptopipo, Cursorius, Curzonia, Cyanocephalus, Cyanolimnas, Cyanophasis, Cyanositta, Dendrobates, Diaphorasma, Dicrachibia, Dissoura, Donkorella, Dorcadothera, Dryocichloides, Dryopicos, Dyseonetta, Enendrozdovoma, Eolybius, Eremiphantes, Eremiplectes, Eupoda, Eupsychortyx, Euptilotis, Eurilenus, Euschistospiza, Falcirostra, Ferminia, Flintthraupis, Fregolla, Fringilloides, Gabelatrix, Galapagornis, Geomalia, Geopicos, Gouldaeornis, Groteiplectes, Habropteryx, Hallstroma, Hamirostra, Hartertula, Heinrichia, Hellmayrea, Hemiprocne, Herbicola, Hersepis, Heuglinornis, Homositta, Hypargoides, Hypsiphornis.

Note that some of these names have more than one entry (shown ●). In most cases sight of the original diagnosis will confirm the etymology already provided, but citation of the original publication may encourage readers to investigate further. Any new information will be gratefully received and publicly acknowledged in the Key.

All serenity
James

In case you haven't been totally overwhelmed, here are the remaining names in the list of unseen diagnoses from the Key:
Indopicus, Ispidina, Ixos, Kentrophorina, Kiwi, Krimhilda, Lamprocygna, Latoucheornis, Laysanornis, Lemuresthes, Leptopoecile, Leptositta, Leucolybius, Limnaetops, Macronus, Mayrimunia, Megazosterops, Melizocinla, Micreophona, Milvulus, Murututtu, Nesocygna, Nyctimene, Oenositta, Oreopholus, Oreospiza, Oriturus, Otocichla, Penthirenia, Phaeca, Phalacrobucco, Phoenicuropsis, Piculus, Platyrhynchus, Poedela, Pogonodon, Poikilocarbo, Polytelopsar, Porphyropsar, Prosopocygna, Pseudalethe, Pseudochloroptila, Queleopsis, Readytes, Regaliolus, Rex, Rhododendroeca, Rhondella, Ridgwayornis, Ripleyia, Rupicola, Sacrificator, Saka, Sakesphoroides, Santaplonis, Schistolais, Schoutedenapus, Senator, Sieboldornis, Sitagroides, Solifer, Sollicitus, Spodiospina, Stagonocygna, Stepaniania, Stictospermestes, Stoparola, Stresemannia, Strophocincla, Subsmicrornis, Sylvaticus, Sylvestrornis, Sylvicola, Tachyplectes, Tacitathena, Taczanowskia, Takatsukasaia, Terricolumba, Thalasseus, Thalobata, Thaumatias, Tiaris, Tinactor, Torda, Torrentaria, Torreornis, Trachylaemus, Trochilus, Tutor, Urorhipis, Vanellochettusia, Vauriella, Verbosus, Woltersia, Zaratornis, Zavattariornis, Zeafulix, Zebrapicus, Zesarkaca. I also missed out Chapinia from my earlier list.

My previous remarks apply, and again note that some names have more than one entry (marked ●).

The Agricultural Gazette of New South Wales
Ashbyia, A. North 1911: XXII (3), p. 211 = here

Annales zoologici Musei Polonici Historiae Naturalis
Taczanowskia Sztolcman 1926: 5 (3), p.167 = here
Hellmayrea Sztolcman 1926: 5 (4), p.219 = here

Beiträge zur Naturgeschichte von Brasilien
Tinactor zu Wied 1831: III Band (II Abtheilung), p.1105 = here

Catalogue of the specimens and drawings of Mammals ,Birds, Reptiles and Fishes of Nepal and Tibet, (presented by B. H. Hodgson), is the full title of the 2nd Edition, where we find:
Torrentaria J. Gray 1863: (2nd. edition) p.34 = here (See No. 180; "Torrentaria leucocephala, Hodgs. MSS"

"Compléments de Buffon"
Barbatula Lesson 1837: IX, 292 = here (foot-note 2, bottom page)

Mémoires de l'Académie Royale de Metz (1848) = here
Dryopicos Malherbe 1849: 30, p.320 = here
Celeopicus Malherbe 1849: 30, p.332 = here
Indopicus Malherbe 1849: 30, p.342 ... and onwards!
Brahmapicus Malherbe 1849: 30, p.344
● Chrysopicos Malherbe 1849: 30, p.352
Geopicos Malherbe 1849: 30, p.357
Zebrapicus Malherbe 1849: 30, p.360

Ornithologie de la Province de Liège
Brachyrynchus de Selys-Longchamps 1831: Appendix, p.36 = here ... tricky link (search for Brachyrynchus in the Search box, to the left, if it isn't shown the proper way) ... or see the attached excerpt.

Ornithologie Nordost-Afrika's, (der Nilquellen- und Küsten-Gebiete des Rothen Meeres und des nördlichen Somal-Landes)
Spodiospina von Heuglin 1871: I (Abth. 2), p.660 = here
Urorhipis von Heuglin 1871: (Nachträge), p. lxxii = here
Dorcadothera von Heuglin 1871: (Nachträge und Berichtigungen), p.ccxii. = here (foot-note)

Osservazioni sullo stato della Zoologia in Europa in quanto ai Vertebrati nell' anno 1840-41 = here
Cyanocephalus Bonaparte 1842: p.17 = here

The Pocket Encyclopedia of Natural Phenomena, ...
Caturates T. Forster 1827, p.419 = here

Vertikal'noe i ghorizontal'noe raspredyelenie Turkestanskikh Zhivotnuikh
[Северцов Николай Алексеевич Вертикальное и горизонтальное распределение Туркестанских животных, 1873]
Atraphornis Severtzov 1873: p. 65 = here
Acridiornis Severtzov 1873: p.66 ... and onwards
Leptopoecile Severtzov 1873: p.135 ... ditto (in text)
Falcirostra Severtzov 1873: p.146 ...

Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society
Cercomacroides Tello et al. 2014,:170 (3), pp.546+ = here (p.555)

Enjoy!

Björn
--

Attachments

• p.36 - Appendix.jpg
    p.36 - Appendix.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back