• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG wins 1st Place in Field and Stream test of 13 new Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Ok Steve, here's what I did this AM before I went to work......
There is a barn 116 yards from my front porch(picture at bottom!). I use it all the time exactly for this reason, to COMPARE FOV from binocular to binocular. I kind of put the left of the FOV even with the left of the building and see how far down the barn the right FOV includes. The barn has bolts/screws to hold the tin on. So I count from right to left what bolt is at the right edge of the FOV while looking thru the binocular.. I do this while sitting and resting binocular on my porch rail. What the value IS I have no I idea. BUT it is easy to compare binoculars and be able to say binocular B has a greater FOV than binocular A. Only two 8X binoculars I have have been able to swallow the whole building...8X42 SF and the 8X42 Monarch HG will do that. So I tried the Maven B.1 8X42....it will cover MOST of the barn and I can tell it's actually two bolts from the right. Thinking quickly I picked up the EDG II which I have measured at 397ft(specs say 403 ft which is probably correct and I'm a little off. Small errors make a big difference here). The EDG II lines up almost exactly where the B.1 does. I went back and forth a few times. Same conclusion which is....I'm going to say my B.1 and my EDG II are pretty equivalent where FOV is concerned...so that would be about 400ft @ 1000 yds more or less.

Thanks Chuck that answered my question, being is the HG wider than the B1.:t: However small errors don't make a really big difference. Just a half inch larger or smaller on the measuring tape at 30' only amounts to maybe 4' fov difference at 1,000 yards. While knowing the difference may well matter to some, in truth nobody will ever detect that small difference in actual field use. That is the typical round it off distance (the half inch increment) I use when checking the fov. That level is easily read at the edge of the tape. What matters most is a steady rest and to be sure the binocular has the edge of the measuring device, either tape or barn, properly placed when we look at how far the field extends across the view. Any target with known measurement gradients at a known distance can be used. I suppose it depends on how each one will define small difference and as to when the small difference becomes significant.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back