• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help on choosing additional binocular (1 Viewer)

45srbest

I have my original pair of EL 8.5x42 binoculars. My wife and I share binoculars although I am the primary user. I’m 67 and don’t currently wear glasses for distance. Thinking about a pair of either noctovid 8x42 or ultravid 7x42. Leaning toward the ultravid for the well known plus of being steady and bright. We generally use these for wildlife. Unfortunately there is not a local dealer to look at these. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance folks.

Hello and Welcome...

Still no answer?

Even at the risk of intruding into the wasp network, I saw three Noctivids, all three had shortcomings on Center Drive, and the two 8x42s were visually very different, the first was very good, the second was not!
After the experience, I would not buy Noctivid unseen, even though it's certainly a very good glass if everything is right.
Unfortunately I can not say anything about the 7x42 Ultravid, that I do not know.

Andreas

I have my original pair of EL 8.5x42 binoculars. My wife and I share binoculars although I am the primary user. I’m 67 and don’t currently wear glasses for distance. Thinking about a pair of either noctovid 8x42 or ultravid 7x42. Leaning toward the ultravid for the well known plus of being steady and bright. We generally use these for wildlife. Unfortunately there is not a local dealer to look at these. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance folks.

Are you keeping the EL's or looking for another pair to compliment them?

I am not promoting any brand over another, but before getting a Leica, you should check out the
Zeiss SF 8x42.

The SF is similar to the EL in some ways, but only better. You will find the Leica does not have as
large of sweet spot, and the handling is different.

I am familiar with models of all of these brands.

Jerry

The news of the Noctivid is surprising, however I have felt the same about the SF 8X42, seems like there is sample variation among everything these days. I still appreciate the FL 8X42 as a great glass, so no need for me to upgrade. Additionally it has been proven to be a durable glass as stated on the Allbinos endurance test.

To keep on the topic Leica, the 8X42 Ultravid HD/HD+ is also a good glass, the eye relief is 15 so if you wear glasses, it might a tad too short.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all welcome to BF!

I would probably get a different size than an 8x42 as a second pair. Either a 7x or 10x if that's your cup of tea or a light 8x32 to take and share for those occasions where the use of bins is possible but not so probable.

Joachim

I bought my ELs in 2001 so they are older but in perfect shape. I am keeping them. What Joachim said is another thought I had. Maybe the El 8x32 might be a good secondary pair. My wife and I are going to Yellowstone next year so a second pair of quality binos would be great (I’m also bringing my Kowa spotting scope). My wife wears glasses and I don’t. A light pair on binoculars would be great because I keep a pair near my back door to grab quickly and the smaller size would be convenient. Thanks for the great comments!

45srbest, post 7,
I can recommend the EL 8x32, the UltravidHD+ 8x32 and the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32, all three very good binoculars considering the use you describe.
Gijs van Ginkel

+ Kenko UltraVIEW EX OP 8X32 DH II http://www.kenkoglobal.com/optics/binoculars/ultraview_ex/ultraview_ex_op_832_dh_ii.html (cave: Albinos tested an earlier inferior version, which is also still available) - There are plenty more comparisons in the huge Sightron Blue Sky II clone thread here but I thought it was just as sharp, or sharper, than Meopta Meostar B1 8x32, with stronger colour. On the four clones I tried QC was good, with precise focus and no faults so reckon it is 'quality' too. It just needs a strip of self adhesive foam tape to make the boat-shaped rainguard fit properly and braided nylon tape/thread to attach the linked objective covers to the strap (e.g. small camera wrist strap or jewellery thread). Conventional dual hinge design, 7.5 degrees fov, very neat and light, easy with glasses (more like the usual "ER 16.5 mm") and thoroughly satisfactory.

Attachments

• Kenko 8x32.jpg
    Kenko 8x32.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
mooreorless, thanks for the link to that good review. Like the mfg's blurb, it emphasises the low weight of the Kenko, which does not always come across in reviews of the clones. They all work just as well and the dimensions are very nearly identical, but I reckon the shapes formed by the armour make a disproportionate difference. The Kenko version looks and feels slimmer, which makes it feel super light. There is also enough length in the barrels to make it handle really well.

mooreorless, thanks for the link to that good review. Like the mfg's blurb, it emphasises the low weight of the Kenko, which does not always come across in reviews of the clones. They all work just as well and the dimensions are very nearly identical, but I reckon the shapes formed by the armour make a disproportionate difference. The Kenko version looks and feels slimmer, which makes it feel super light. There is also enough length in the barrels to make it handle really well.
Interesting (and somewhat weird to be discussing in the Leica sub-forum): I own both the Sightron and Kenko versions but haven't had them side-by-side for a long while, as the Sightrons were out on long-term loan to a friend. But I do have them together now. I must admit that I prefer the Kenko's in the hand: not so much for the weight (though I imagine that helps) but because the thumb depressions on the underside of the Kenkos match my hands quite nicely, and because the ridges along the barrels of the Kenkos are closer to the outside than those on my Sightrons. All in all, I guess it's pretty marginal but if you're paying attention to details this might matter. I will say I prefer the 'feel' of the armor of the Sightrons and I also think I prefer the "field" look of the Sightrons (drab green) over the slightly 'flash' look of the gold-on-black Kenkos. If asked to choose, I'd likely pick the Kenkos. But I might answer differently on another day.

...Mike

Mike my excuse is that I am almost as old as the fellow that started this thread.;) In reference to this being a Leica sub-forum.

Mike my excuse is that I am almost as old as the fellow that started this thread.;) In reference to this being a Leica sub-forum.
No worries! I'm not that much younger myself. And I console myself that while I might not own any Leica bins, I do own Leica cameras and lenses so I'm not completely foreign to the brand ;)

...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back