• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (2 Viewers)

Here's some pictures of some standard Aberdeen wildlife taken with my new FZ28
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon

Hi Calvin

Some not bad piccies there - do you find it easy to use? What's the chances of you going on the Bash, as I'd very much like to see this camera (close up and in use)? I'm looking for something with a bit more reach than my 4500, when I can't carry the telescope.

D

Hi Calvin

Some not bad piccies there - do you find it easy to use? What's the chances of you going on the Bash, as I'd very much like to see this camera (close up and in use)? I'm looking for something with a bit more reach than my 4500, when I can't carry the telescope.

D

It's very easy to use after a few hours, maybe it was just because I've never had a camera before but the first few hours when I was fiddling around with settings it was complicated like aperture, exposure, macro etc. but it's really easy to use now. For the bee I used the hi-speed burst mode and got some really nice shots, the chances of me coming are almost nil because my Dad's working but as a suggestion you can go to John Lewis, where I bought my FZ28 because they let you try it out in store to make your choice, they allow you to use any camera they sell, it really helped me make a decision. There's obviously not much birds there though but you can try out the optical zoom which can go up to 32.1x depending on picture size and format without deterioration and with digital zoom up to 128x obviously with deterioration in quality.

It's very easy to use after a few hours, maybe it was just because I've never had a camera before but the first few hours when I was fiddling around with settings it was complicated like aperture, exposure, macro etc. but it's really easy to use now. For the bee I used the hi-speed burst mode and got some really nice shots, the chances of me coming are almost nil because my Dad's working but as a suggestion you can go to John Lewis, where I bought my FZ28 because they let you try it out in store to make your choice, they allow you to use any camera they sell, it really helped me make a decision. There's obviously not much birds there though but you can try out the optical zoom which can go up to 32.1x depending on picture size and format without deterioration and with digital zoom up to 128x obviously with deterioration in quality.

LOL Calvin.... anyone that knows me knows that I don't do cities - well not unaccompanied anyway:gh::-O er... even then I have to be careful - seem to remember Andrew nearly took me through a pedestrian zone (or was it the wrong way up a one way?) o:D

But thanks for all that technical info - I'll watch your progress with the camera with interest. I've seen a super zoom in a camera shop in Perth and they let you outside with it, but it's just not the same as actually 'using it in anger', so to speak. I'm not sure if they have a FZ28 at the mo though.

D

Hello folks,

Just saying that my Dad and I are going up to Strathbeg tomorrow, and that if I see anything of interest I will report in here just for the general record of Aberdeenshire birds ;).

Hello folks,

Just saying that my Dad and I are going up to Strathbeg tomorrow, and that if I see anything of interest I will report in here just for the general record of Aberdeenshire birds ;).

Look forward to reading your report Joseph.Good Luck. :t:

Anyone know anywhere in or around Aberdeen that is a good spot for otters? And has anyone here in Aberdeen City seen the moon recently as I haven't seen it in months, too much clouds or light pollution or something :smoke:
Was up at Loirston Loch today, got nice pictures of a Mute Swan and seen some ducks up in the distance, on zooming into my photo they look like Mallards and Tufted Duck (lifer!)

Last edited:
There should be a few Tufties on Loirston. For Otters, I've seen a couple around the harbour mouth (once from my bedroom in Torry!) and I once saw one on the River Don in Seaton Park. They're around but tricky to see. Keep your eyes open and you should find one eventually.

Anyone know anywhere in or around Aberdeen that is a good spot for otters? And has anyone here in Aberdeen City seen the moon recently as I haven't seen it in months, too much clouds or light pollution or something :smoke:
Was up at Loirston Loch today, got nice pictures of a Mute Swan and seen some ducks up in the distance, on zooming into my photo they look like Mallards and Tufted Duck (lifer!)

If you can lower yourself to buying the Press and Journal you'll find the moonrise times on page 4. Then at least you'll know when it should be up. Loirston has potential and is good for waterfowl in the winter. Some nice birds have turned up there. Look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Thanks for the advice, I might buy that rubbish for once! I'm going up to Loch of Strathbeg on Friday with the prospect of otters and lots of lifers!

My mother visited the Tarland bird hide today and tells me there has been some vandalism. All the windows were open and magazines and leaflets etc. were strewn about inside and outside and most worryingly the sightings book was missing. I'm hoping someone may have taken it away for safe keeping as it had records dating back to April in it. Apparently there were some bottles outside as well.

On a more positive note I saw three Red Kites over the fields across the road from Garlogie this evening.

My mother visited the Tarland bird hide today and tells me there has been some vandalism. All the windows were open and magazines and leaflets etc. were strewn about inside and outside and most worryingly the sightings book was missing. I'm hoping someone may have taken it away for safe keeping as it had records dating back to April in it. Apparently there were some bottles outside as well.

On a more positive note I saw three Red Kites over the fields across the road from Garlogie this evening.

Well I suppose it had to happen some time. There was a little bit of a mess earlier this year but I soon got that cleaned up. The plastic leaflet holder was smashed, hence the temporary ice cream tub replacement. I fear for the log book though. I'll try to have a look around for it tomorrow. I still have all my own sightings in a notebook. Has this been reported to the RSPB or the estate?

Had a lovely days birding at Strathbeg today. My Dad and I saw both a Wood Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper there today, which was lovely, as I hadn't seen either of those birds on that many occasions before. I also managed to meet Ken whilst I was out, which was nice. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance..o:D By the way, did you manage to see the Green Sand in the end?

Down at the Ythan it was also relatively quiet, but we managed to spot a Common Sandpiper right down in front of us at the second car park in the main part of the esutary, which was a nice year tick. ;)

Today I went to the Loch of Strathbeg, hoping to see a Green Sandpiper. There were quite a few visitors around which was nice, as well as some of the regulars. I had a good look around from the visitor centre, picking out Dunlin, godwits, Ruff in good numbers, and a Wood Sandpiper. Then I learned that the Green Sandpiper was not in front of the visitor centre but in a little muddy pool behind the farmhouse. Off I set. On the way there I met Joseph and Dad, who were returning from watching the bird. In case you are wondering Joseph I recognised you from the photo on your blog. It was nice meeting you there, but sadly the Green Sandpiper had gone.

So it was back to the visitor centre, more chatting and looking around, then lunch on one of the picnic tables. I decided to have another try at the Green Sandpiper, and this time it was there, bobbing and curtseying and looking very smart. That was enough to send me on my way happy.

I called in at the Ythan on my way home. The tide had just started to ebb so I had to wait an hour or so until the action hotted up. Then the waders began to arrive, in groups of five, ten and more. Nothing unusual, just Dunlins, Redshanks and Curlews but there was always the chance that they had brought a stranger with them.

Driving along the Lang Stracht in heavy traffic, I spotted a crow at the roadside. It was clearly a Carrion x Hoodie, more hoodie than carrion. This set me thinking. If I was a sad listing type ;), and assuming I had seen neither species before, could I have claimed 1, 2 or even 0 ticks for this bird?

looks like we've cross posted Joseph. I'm a bit slow tonight.

Last edited:
Today I went to the Loch of Strathbeg, hoping to see a Green Sandpiper. There were quite a few visitors around which was nice, as well as some of the regulars. I had a good look around from the visitor centre, picking out Dunlin, godwits, Ruff in good numbers, and a Wood Sandpiper. Then I learned that the Green Sandpiper was not in front of the visitor centre but in a little muddy pool behind the farmhouse. Off I set. On the way there I met Joseph and Dad, who were returning from watching the bird. In case you are wondering Joseph I recognised you from the photo on your blog. It was nice meeting you there, but sadly the Green Sandpiper had gone.

So it was back to the visitor centre, more chatting and looking around, then lunch on one of the picnic tables. I decided to have another try at the Green Sandpiper, and this time it was there, bobbing and curtseying and looking very smart. That was enough to send me on my way happy.

I called in at the Ythan on my way home. The tide had just started to ebb so I had to wait an hour or so until the action hotted up. Then the waders began to arrive, in groups of five, ten and more. Nothing unusual, just Dunlins, Redshanks and Curlews but there was always the chance that they had brought a stranger with them.

Driving along the Lang Stracht in heavy traffic, I spotted a crow at the roadside. It was clearly a Carrion x Hoodie, more hoodie than carrion. This set me thinking. If I was a sad listing type ;), and assuming I had seen neither species before, could I have claimed 1, 2 or even 0 ticks for this bird?

looks like we've cross posted Joseph. I'm a bit slow tonight.

I thought that's where you recognised me from. Hopefully we will bump into each other again soon ;)

Overall, I think we both chose a good day to go out to Strathbeg; I am glad you saw the Green Sand in the end, it was a lovely bird. Margaret spots loads of birds, and there she spotted it in the most unusual of places. It was very kind of her to show it to us.

Some oddities often turn up in Lang Stracht, most likely from radioactive waste that people seem to throw out their windows :-O I pass it every day since that is in the direction of my house, just a few turnoffs after that, I've seen an Oystercatcher, a mutated Carrion Crow with orange beak, Jackdaw, humans sitting on a sofa outside :smoke:

Better news from Tarland. The log book has been recovered, although it is a bit the worse for some ill treatment. I've removed the worst of the "contributions". It was stashed up in the rafters above the door. The latest sensible entry was on 4th August ( 5 Snipe) so it looks as if the trouble occurred that night. Anyway, I'll send it to Ian Francis and replace it shortly. The empty cider bottles have gone for re-cycling, and the place tidied up. Your mother had done a fine job too, so please thank her.

There was very little to see apart from the usual, but could I have heard a Grasshopper Warbler reeling? Or is it too late in the year for that? I don't think it was the insect grasshopper, went on too long, and maybe the grass and crops are too long for them? If it was a gropper, that'll be a first for the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back