• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN 554 Fluorite? (1 Viewer)

David Swain

In a thread on the binoculars forum covering the 2016 Photokina someone mentioned "the new TSN 554 fluorite." There is only mention of the compact TSN 501 on the Kowa Prominar Facebook announcements. Anyone know anything? A very high quality travel scope would be welcome.

On an unrelated topic, would the Opticron SDLv2 fit the 82SV?

David

Hi,

don't know about the 554 - I'd suspect that the low focal length and corresponding moderate magnifications of a 50 or 55 mm instrument with the current eyepieces will not really need fluorite for good performance.

Regarding 82SV and the SDLv2 - it has the accessory thread we use to screw on the Opticron zoom. If it comes to focus at infinity is another question... let us know if you find out.

Joachim

I'd suspect that the low focal length and corresponding moderate magnifications of a 50 or 55 mm instrument with the current eyepieces will not really need fluorite for good performance.

Joaquim..note that the term fluorite is often used to refer to any special,ED ,high density or low disperssion glass .With that in mind I think that the difference between regular glass and ED glass is definitively there ,even at low magnification..I see it in binoculars and also comparing 50mm scopes side by side..
About the kowa 554... Not sure it does exist..me thinks not,thinks is typo..the new model mentioned in the kowa web site ,a 50mm indeed doesnt feature ED glass and is not very exciting..sad because kowa had a 50 mm ED model years ago,and they could have introduced a similar scope and probably sell well

Last edited:
It can affect Opticron I asked if it was possible to mount the eyepiece SDL on a Kowa TSN 663m, this is the answer:

Dear Sir
Thank you for your inquiry. Sorry but we do not make adapters to connect to Opticron eyepieces Kowa 660 series telescopes.
Best wishes
Garin Baksa

Thank you for your inquiry. Sorry but we do not make adapters to connect to Opticron eyepieces Kowa 660 series telescopes.

Hi,

you don't need an adapter... it fits the accessory thread around the Kowa EP bayonet mount - you might need a thick rubber o-ring as a spacer.
If it comes to focus at infinity with a 663 remains to be seen.

It seems they don't support their EPs for other bodies - which is kind of understandable.

Joachim

Hi,

if it works as on the old TSN-1/2/3/4 bodies, it will give 17-52x.
The field is flat and wide (>70 deg afov) at the high mag end - not so wide at low mag (40 deg afov). With that low mag end it's no competition for the TE11-WZ which trades some zoom range for a wider low mag end.

Joachim

There definitely are two 50 mm class scopes coming out from Kowa. I spoke with one of the Kowa reps at the American Birding Expo and that was confirmed. I am guessing, of the same product line as the big 88 Prominar.

Heard nothing about pricing but am guessing at/around $2000 US based on the average 88 mm's price.

There definitely are two 50 mm class scopes coming out from Kowa. I spoke with one of the Kowa reps at the American Birding Expo and that was confirmed. I am guessing, of the same product line as the big 88 Prominar.

Heard nothing about pricing but am guessing at/around $2000 US based on the average 88 mm's price.

Prices tend to be proportional to the size of the objective diameter squared, since large lenses are so much more expensive to produce.

That would make about $800 for the 54mm Body if the 883 is $2100 . Not sure who would buy a 54mm scope for more than $1000 (1000€)?

Also the zoom seems to be the one for the 660 scopes, I guess due to portability and weight, but not top of the line specs.

Last edited:
2000 dollars?...i dont think so..well ,hope not ..800 dollars sounds more reasonable,and 600 series eyepieces a turn off..unless...new wide zoom for the 660 was developed..possible..

$2000 for the 88 mm? I just checked a couple of sites and the price of the angled body plus eyepiece is between $2500-$2600. If the new little 50 mm class scope utilizes the same quality of components as the 88 mm then I would expect it to easily be closer to $2000 (even $1500) rather than $800. $800 would put it at as a direct competitor with the Nikon, Vortex and Opticron 50 mm class scopes and I think Kowa was shooting for more than that.

Hi,

Kowa tends to use fluorite as needed depending on body focal ratio. The faster 880 uses fluorite while the slower 770 can get away with ED - makes sense optically.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back