• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good birdfeeder for sunflower seeds (1 Viewer)

wunderlong88

Droll Yankee would be my choice, because.....
Robust, easy for birds to see the food, perch and extract the seed. All parts strip down for thorough, regular cleaning and reassembly.

Other one looks a bit clumsy, overengineered - why have a fly through?

One query, why black sunflower? these are messy with the husks gathering underneath. Hearts are more expensive but no waste.

I'm not sure about why he wants those seeds. He is the birder and just told me he wanted a feeder for those. We live in the country and have a lot of land, not concerned a bit about the mess but is it as economical to buy the hearts instead? Do they need a different type of feeder or will the Droll Yankee work for either?

Thanks.

The DY is suitable for both and also mixed seed. Economical depends on your view - your paying for the husk which will be discarded by birds and only attractive to rodents. The hearts are dearer. This feeder is not Grey Squirrel proof by the way, they will eventually gnaw through into the clear plastic.

Dependant on how keen your son is, try to offer other types of food so you attract a variety of bird species. Suet blocks and peanut butter products are popular.

Thank you for your help.

I don't think we have gray squirrels at all (we are in North Central Texas). We have a lot of wildlife but only occasionally see squirrels (they are brown). I don't know if they will be a problem or not.

My son became very interested in birding last fall and has identified 91 bird species on our property, alone. (He is actually the number one birder in our county for this year on ebird) He has a hummingbird feeder that he takes good care of and he requested a feeder for sunflower seeds. He reads much and for some reason wanted to attract the type of birds that like sunflower seeds. I think he will want more feeders to put other types of seed/food in the future. :) He takes a lot of great photos of the birds, too.

I'm sure more birdfeeders are in our future...lol

Thanks for the help.

I would go with the tube feeder myself. It looks like the second choice would allow a lot of moisture to get into the seed which could cause mold and rot if the seed is not consumed fast enough. The tube offers more protection against the elements, especially if you add a dome cover to it.

Squirrels are the bane of feeders, as they vacuum the contents and can easily gnaw holes in them to get the last few seeds. Whether the feeder is hung or on a pole, a squirrel guard is a must in my NE US experience.
Separately, very much agree that sunflower hearts are the better option, less mess for one, but also raw sunflower seeds are often treated with a fungicide which may not be healthy for the birds.
A pole stand with a baffle and several arms is a flexible option, it allows seed and suet feeders as desired.
Lastly, birds are a pushover for water sources. If you set up a little water feature, even something as simple as a bird bath, you will multiply your visitors. One can go fancy, perhaps add a bucket with a hole that drips into the bath or even a mister, which really draws hummingbirds, but water is really magical for birds.

Squirrels are the bane of feeders, as they vacuum the contents and can easily gnaw holes in them to get the last few seeds. Whether the feeder is hung or on a pole, a squirrel guard is a must in my NE US experience.
Separately, very much agree that sunflower hearts are the better option, less mess for one, but also raw sunflower seeds are often treated with a fungicide which may not be healthy for the birds.
A pole stand with a baffle and several arms is a flexible option, it allows seed and suet feeders as desired.
Lastly, birds are a pushover for water sources. If you set up a little water feature, even something as simple as a bird bath, you will multiply your visitors. One can go fancy, perhaps add a bucket with a hole that drips into the bath or even a mister, which really draws hummingbirds, but water is really magical for birds.

Good point on the water source, I'm getting back into birding and I remember that they loved my bird bath I had before, I just forgetting until you mentioned it..Off to buy a bird bath.. Thanks Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back