• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book for NEPAL and sub-continent (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

I am hoping to plan a trip next year to Nepal and maybe a few other stops in that area ... could I get peoples opinions on the best field guides for the area - either for Nepal alone or else for the area/region

I found a few that seem interesting but not sure on any as I have never been to the region ...

Thanks
Victor Soares

Attachments

• Birds of India.jpg
    Birds of India.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 18
  • Birds of Indian Subcontinent.jpg
    Birds of Indian Subcontinent.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
  • birds-of-nepal-richard-grimmett-9781472905710.jpg
    birds-of-nepal-richard-grimmett-9781472905710.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 16
If you are just visiting Nepal, I would get the Helm Nepal guide. You refer to maybe making a few stops elsewhere, which is a bit vague, but if you might visit eg Rajasthan in India, you will want a guide with wider coverage. The Helm guide to the subcontinent is the one I would get, but there is also the Ripley guide from Lynx which is OK.

If you are just visiting Nepal, I would get the Helm Nepal guide. You refer to maybe making a few stops elsewhere, which is a bit vague, but if you might visit eg Rajasthan in India, you will want a guide with wider coverage. The Helm guide to the subcontinent is the one I would get, but there is also the Ripley guide from Lynx which is OK.

The Nepal guide obviously and if your extension will only include Nothern India, then this is the book, other suppliers are available...........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Nort...+northern+india&qid=1560840994&s=books&sr=1-1

Thanks for the feedback so far ....

To clarify: the idea at the moment is that we go to Nepal but we may change plans and go to Sri Lanka instead ... and may add a trip to southern/northern India as well (depending on where we go). I would like to preferably get ONE book but if there are really no good books that cover the spectrum of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, then I may be forced to go with individual books.

The indian subcontinent guide according to Amazon: This new field guide is based on the authors' groundbreaking Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (1998) and covers all the bird species found in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and the Maldives.

Niels

The indian subcontinent guide according to Amazon: This new field guide is based on the authors' groundbreaking Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (1998) and covers all the bird species found in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and the Maldives.

Niels

The South Asia guide is more up to date taxonomically AFAIR, the Sub-Con guide may just be a reprint, not sure if it was updated or if this is just another format comprising the same info and taxonomy?

Last edited:
Wasn't the second edition of the sub-con guide discussed extensively here on BF when it came out? I believe it is a reworked version. That does not mean that it will be taxonomically up to 2019, though.

Niels

The obvious answer to this is Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Grimmett et al. Available in paperback or as an ebook with sounds.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back