• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can optical quality be improved? (1 Viewer)

tomreid24

What's your opinions on how optics (bins mainly) can be improved?
Can what we see through the top bins at this time actually be bettered,if so how? I'm not talking about shape,size,weight or things like stabilising and integrated gimmicks like cameras.Have manufacturers reached the pinnacle of optical qualities and have to promote products by such things as size etc ?

Hi Thomas

you've got a point here; not sure how much what you actually 'see' thru bins or scopes has improved that much over 15 years....

my old Zeiss 7 x 42 will give any of today's bins a run for their money on optical quality. (see better view desired website if you need convincing) Even construction and hard-wearing wise they are still almost as new despite years of use in some extreme places.
recently tried the ED78 orig. from about 10 years ago and can't see a difference optically from the new 82
likewise the old Nikon ED11 from way back.

is there an optical quality gain that's worth what people are expected to pay?

I've probably got this terribly wrong, but I seem to recall that the largest optical telescope in the world (inevitably in an atronomical observatory) consists of an array of concave lenses angled to reflect and focus the light onto a single collecting lens.

Given that sort of technological finesse I would have thought that it's not so much whether the fiddling little things that we use can be improved, but the price at which it's worth improving them any further. There's probably always room for improvement in theory, but there must come a point where our eyes wouldn't be sensitive enough to perceive the difference.

Personally I wouldn't expect to see any noticeable improvement in optical quality unless and until someone invents a material with better light transmitting qualities than glass.

Jason

Now don't knock the Nikon ED82, Tim - I've just bought one and it... cost me a lot of money!

At Rutland Water nature reserve they have an old style Swarovski for public use and I doubt it's much different from the new model.

In truth, I bet the new scopes show themselves well in difficult conditions such as into the light, in the dusk, etc. Well - I hope they do!

I think the 82s worth the cash Steve - just saw that cheapo 78 and couldn't resist it! After all that was a similar price a few years ago.

and when you add up the amount of hours use and the unquantifiable pleasure get from it there's no argument.

If Warehouse Express took p/ex I'd have had one without doubt. At those prices they are a bargain - but when you add on the cost of a new style zoom, it does add on quite a bit - yet still a bargain.

You'll love using the scope, for sure - to mke you feel even better, did you see the review of it on the Finnish site:

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm ?

You'll be very impressed with your choice once you've read this! By the way - it's never a ten-year-old design, is it?

the ed78 was around in early 94 at least.....

can't stand zooms though - like looking down a tunnel

it'll probably only get an outing if I do any seawatching or raptor roosts though - bit of a shame

I agree with Tim about the Zeiss 7 x 42s. Their optical quality is up with the very best of today yet they were introduced back, I believe, in 1981. I also could not resist a cheapo ED 78 from Warehouse Express. For me, this stunning scope has to be the scope bargain presently.

Dave

I agree - those who haven't tried a truly wide angle eyepiece, only ever owning a zoom, don't know the pleasure they're missing. But surely you agree that a zoom can be useful? The new Nikon zoom is far less of a tunnel view - like Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica, their designers have worked hard to give a view that seems wider.

Quality can always be improved, but has already been mentioned it is a performance/cost trade off. I think that any worthwhile improvement will come as computer power is used to calculate the light path through the optics - use of aspheric elements, HD glass and lens coatings for example. Just think of the advances made in big zoom lenses, these days we have 50-500mm at reasonable prices,- 20 years ago they would have been unthinkable.

AndyC

thomas reid said:
What's your opinions on how optics (bins mainly) can be improved?
Can what we see through the top bins at this time actually be bettered,if so how? I'm not talking about shape,size,weight or things like stabilising and integrated gimmicks like cameras.Have manufacturers reached the pinnacle of optical qualities and have to promote products by such things as size etc ?
IMHO No! There's a limit & to be honest bins have not improved optically for a few years and probably are at thier optimal resolution, no matter what people some pontificate;) about blooming/coatings etc.

It's in the eye of the beholder! and capitalism:eek!:

CB

Given that manufacturers produce their products to exacting tolerances,i.e. the goods should perform exactly the same,then i assume that each individuals eyesight will affect their perception of performance?Can a persons pupil dilation affect optics performance?Would pupil dilation less than an optics stated exit pupil mean that an individual wouldn't see the difference at dusk between a small or larger objective?

thomas reid said:
Given that manufacturers produce their products to exacting tolerances,i.e. the goods should perform exactly the same,then i assume that each individuals eyesight will affect their perception of performance?Can a persons pupil dilation affect optics performance?Would pupil dilation less than an optics stated exit pupil mean that an individual wouldn't see the difference at dusk between a small or larger objective?
Perfectly put:clap: I have considered that there 'aint any great gain for mere mortals, such as me purchasing the bees-knees in optics;) Because my eyesight is A1.

After "testing most optical bins" I'd say not much to choose between Mid/High ranged priced optics!

As for BO's et al recommendations; He/she is getting paid to endorse them:C So not a good guide to thier optical performance [Rant Off]

CB

CravenBirds said:
Perfectly put:clap: I have considered that there 'aint any great gain for mere mortals, such as me purchasing the bees-knees in optics;) Because my eyesight is A1.

After "testing most optical bins" I'd say not much to choose between Mid/High ranged priced optics!

As for BO's et al recommendations; He/she is getting paid to endorse them:C So not a good guide to thier optical performance [Rant Off]

CB
of course BO is being paid to advertise them. Same reason that any number of celebs are paid to endorse any number of products - they reckon the consumer is gullible and thinks that because some minor celeb advertises a product they really use it. At least Bill uses the Bins - and isn't Leica getting some good product placement for the Ultavids in the new BO Goes Wild series!

I think the best statement on the difference between bins was made by Andy Bright, in response to a request of mine, when he said that between bins of a similar price it was how comfortable they feel in the hands that would be the biggest distinguishing point.

Contrary to the replies so far regarding binoculars, I think we will continue to see advances in optical quality as well as 'ergonomics/usability'.

I've a pair of Zeiss Dialyt BGAT 10x40 from the 1980s. At the time, they were the 'bees knees'. At the time, I though t I'd bought a pair for life.

I recently bought a pair of Nikon HG DCF 8x20 compacts for walking etc. Quite frankly they compare very favourably with the Zeiss. I've also looked through the full-size models and the new Swarovksi EL 8x32. These new binoculars are brighter, sharper, more contrasty and the image is somehow more 'alive'.

What I'm getting at is that 15 years ago, I thought we'd reached the pinnacle of performance. Who's to say what can be achieved in another 15 years.

Optics manufacturers will be continually researching new ways of improving their products in order to keep ahead. I'd be confident we'll see better binoculars in the future.

Regards
TB

william j clive said:
No, it aint body odour, its Bill Oddie ;)
Who said that? Not me, I might get sued;)

Body odour nice one, that's my personal opinion of BO;)

God, he's terrible in his new morning show and uses bad language when infants are watching! Probably he's a manic depressive so he has an excuse. ;)
CB

I think that Optical performance is probably as close to perfection as possible. I recently looked through some 'old' Zeiss 7x42's - fabulous!...things have NOT moved on that much.
The new 'race' between manufacturers seems to be lightness and ease of handling issues. I believe that the weight of optics, and reducing this will be a big goal over the next few years (and will persuade many birders to keep spending their ready's!). It's already started on bins. Can you imagine the popularity of a Svaro/Leica scope weighing 500g's (or less)!!
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back