• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

save the coast = set the ocean on fire...? (1 Viewer)

Man, don't get me started.... This environmental holocaust has me alternating between tears and burning rage. "Drill baby, drill"?

When even the current admin. decided to allow further coastal drilling, I just shuddered. Our poor, delicate, sweet Mother---gang raped for the allmighty petro-dollar.

Guess all we can do is hope that all the folks who will be economically s--- on because of this will raise enough stink that a sober second thought will ensue and the whole idea will be reconsidered. As to burning it? :C

Man, don't get me started.... This environmental holocaust has me alternating between tears and burning rage. "Drill baby, drill"?

When even the current admin. decided to allow further coastal drilling, I just shuddered. Our poor, delicate, sweet Mother---gang raped for the allmighty petro-dollar.

Guess all we can do is hope that all the folks who will be economically s--- on because of this will raise enough stink that a sober second thought will ensue and the whole idea will be reconsidered. As to burning it? :C

Right !! WTF ??

It's the unacceptable cost of oil... probably the largest pollution event ever... It could be spilling oil into the Gulf of Mexico for months!

It's our addiction for oil that's the root cause... the more we demand it, the more dangerous the seach for it will be... it's not BP's fault .. it's everyones!

it's not BP's fault .. it's everyones!

I completely agree , but at the same time BP has a lot to answer for. Starting with their green-washing campaign that spins them as " beyond petroleum " a conscious oil company looking for eco-friendly alternatives - when in fact they spend a pitiful fraction of their insane revenues on such endeavors. Match that with 16 million dolors spent last year to influence legislation in congress and it gets ugly pretty fast. And who will pay for this - most likely the US tax payers , which in a karmic way is only appropriate considering the United States absurd consumption of the worlds resources. This could have been any oil company I am sure , but this time it was BP. BP = bunch of pigs. The whole thing is just brutal.:C

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/04/on-thursday-oil-giant-bp.html

Last edited:
Just catching up on this event on the news tonight. I am deeply shocked I am sad to say!

I wonder what caused the explosion and how it was so vicious as it was to cause 11 people to die on the rigs. My heart goes out to the family and friends of these people. :-C

The higher management of BP must be having a lot of sleepless nights at the moment. What has been done to cause this accident. As employers the most important thing is 'Health and Safety' issues. Somehow things have gone wrong somewhere.
I wonder where they have gone wrong (used to work in the Oil Industry myself) and even a cigarette lighter was a no-no in any of these work environments

My OH works in the oil industry and even he was shocked how much damage to the environment that this one explosion will cause in the coming weeks. Bird and wildlife will be affected big time.

Hope that all is resolved in the near future with limited damage to wildlife

I really hope that the 'oiled seabirds' are put in foremost of peoples minds along with the unfortunate peoples along with any other issues attached to this 'destructive accident'

Regards
Kathy
x

I really hope that the 'oiled seabirds' are put in foremost of peoples minds along with the unfortunate peoples along with any other issues attached to this 'destructive accident'

x

Completely agree Kathy - Funny how the damages all-way's boil down to dollars and cents, kind of shows you what our values are - as longbow eluded to , I hope this is a wakeup call

Completely agree Kathy - Funny how the damages all-way's boil down to dollars and cents, kind of shows you what our values are - as longbow eluded to , I hope this is a wakeup call

It's hard to put a dollar and cents value on a sea bird, a turtle, an ecosystem........

It's hard to put a dollar and cents value on a sea bird, a turtle, an ecosystem........

Unfortunately it´s very simple for the Oil Moguls, their shareholders and the average driver. Turtles, birds and coral reefs are cute on TV, but they don´t fuel cars.

This business of drilling previously "uneconomical" wells is getting scary. It´s now announced that a well a few km off the coast of Dublin, at Dalkey, is to be drilled and exploited, and everyone is just delighted that it´ll generate "revenue". These guys close down as "uneconomical" swimming-pools used by disadvantaged inner-city kids, levy billions from workers to pay off banker-friends, and now allow a platform to begin drilling 2km off the coast of the capital....it´s just infuriating, but also scary, because it´s only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong, either with the drilling or the refining onshore.

Meanwhile, will BP pay for the cost of the U.S. clean-up? Beyond petroleum indeed.

Right on Sancho.

As far as protecting the birds goes:

I wonder if this would work? Get hole of every boat owner with a shotgun and hand out hundreds of free blank cartridges, send them out to range up an down the coast just off shore and fire at intervals to scare the birds inland.

I know this would cause stress and not do anything for eggs or nestlings, but would it not at least keep a lot of birds from being covered in oil?

I know this is a pretty wild idea, but might it work?

Pay each captain $2000 and charge it to BP.

Right on Sancho.
I wonder if this would work? Get hole of every boat owner with a shotgun and hand out hundreds of free blank cartridges, send them out to range up an down the coast just off shore and fire at intervals to scare the birds inland.

I know this would cause stress and not do anything for eggs or nestlings, but would it not at least keep a lot of birds from being covered in oil?

Seabirds won't really go inland very much. More likely they'll just head out to sea and into the danger zone. And, yes, that would be massive stress to the birds, to the point of possibly causing them to die of exhaustion. Recall that during the Cultural Revolution, Mao declared birds the cause of inadequate agricultural production. The people were told to go out and use pots and pans to make a racket and scare up all the birds, which they kept doing until they all dropped dead out of the sky. The following year China suffered its worst harvest ever as the fields were ransacked by insects unchecked by avian predators.

You probably won't know much if you just don't give a s--- in the first place. Remember there is no morality or value outside of profits for these kinds of people.

Not to say whether or not burning is the right approach in the circumstances, because I'm not a biologist. I just don't know.

I would however like to take this opportunity to go on record, in this tiny little space in the world, that there should be no off shore drilling anywhere at any time under any circumstances. There are some activities that are just too complex and inherently dangerous to be fooled with.

At times like this it sure is easy to see where Ed Abbey and Earth First were coming from.

Last edited:
How can British Petroleum - that makes billions of dollars (pounds) in profit every year not dull out a fraction of that for some general maintenance on the oil rigs that pump out their black death.! Makes me sick.!!! I hope the CEO and his executives burn for this.

As counter-intuitive as burning is, consider this also:

I just watched an interview with a woman who is National Geographic's explorer in residence, NOAA's past head scientist and a world renowned oceanographer.

She says the dispersants being used to break up the oil merely serve to improve things cosmetically while in fact contributing to the toxicity of the oil in the water column by sinking it and dividing it into smaller drops which are made more available to ingestion by smaller creatures, from micro-organisms on up the food chain. The chemicals are also toxic in and of themselves, which really doesn't take a scientist to infer from the outset.

These chemicals help to keep the oil from piling up on the beach, but actually make the catastrophic consequences of the spill worse, as far as the health of the ocean per se is concerned.

BP insists the dispersants are safe and have been tested and deemed such. --By whom?

Seems like the image consultants are working over-time on this one.

Burning is probably the best they can do right now. Dispersants are really bad news. Much of the oil is below the surface and that's a big no win. No way to clean it up. If it leaks for 3-6 months, then the whole gulf is destroyed for more years than I have left to live.

Saddest thing is it's only the tip of the iceberg. More will happen, man made things will fail and there will be many more disasters to come. (I'm surprised terrorists haven't done this as a means to hurt us). The majority of people don't care about birds, but they will scream a fit when there are no shrimp or fish to eat. They will scream when their fancy beach property isn't worth a shit because the beaches are ruined. That's when people will be outraged, when their money gets hurt and when they can't go swim in the ocean. They will bitch when the big hotels and resorts can't attract people, but it won't help.

Very sad.......... We volunteered with Audubon. They said they would let us know if BP deemed it necessary to use volunteers, since the clean up is up to them. Now who in the hell is so stupid to let BP run the show. Just get it done and give BP the freakin bill! Oh, but then they will go bankrupt and the taxpayers will have to bail them out too!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back