• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia Feb 2020 independent budget (1 Viewer)

Although it was published some time ago, I would thoroughly recommend getting a copy of "Where to watch bird in Ethiopia" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethiopia-Gabremichael-Julian-Francis-Spottiswoode/dp/1408130750. This is possibly the best birding site guide I have ever used.

Along the lines suggested by cheshirebirder, you might look into hiring a vehicle either with a guide as driver, or at least a driver who knows the birding sites. Ethiopian Quadrants should be able to organise this.

In my experience, guides, even if they can drive, aren't that keen as it adds another aspect to their job. They like to relax in a vehicle between sites and often, farm the driving out to a mate.

Right, I think I'm reluctantly going to postpone this trip until the next February: ie 2020.

Air fares seem to be on the up - and Ethiopian's direct Manchester - Addis have seemingly sold out.

I've looked into logistics a bit more: and I think 8 days on the ground is pushing it to do even the sites I wanted to do.

So, I'll put this out again earlier next year (c. August) for the following February, and for two weeks.

Road improvements continue apace - and it will be possible to do Ankober-Awash without returning to Addis.

Two weeks will be enough to do the Jemma Valley areas, Awash, Bale via the Rift Valley lakes, and further south to Yabello.

This would mean almost every endemic and most near endemics, and mean less stressful travel.

H

Right, I think I'm reluctantly going to postpone this trip until the next February: ie 2020.

Air fares seem to be on the up - and Ethiopian's direct Manchester - Addis have seemingly sold out.

I've looked into logistics a bit more: and I think 8 days on the ground is pushing it to do even the sites I wanted to do.

So, I'll put this out again earlier next year (c. August) for the following February, and for two weeks.

Road improvements continue apace - and it will be possible to do Ankober-Awash without returning to Addis.

Two weeks will be enough to do the Jemma Valley areas, Awash, Bale via the Rift Valley lakes, and further south to Yabello.

This would mean almost every endemic and most near endemics, and mean less stressful travel.

H

Sounds like a plan, keep me informed.

I could stretch this trip to two weeks for 2019: it seems more appealing for everyone: it's a little short notice I know - but would need some real commitment from others before I book anything.
Flights look like £500-£650.
12 ground days would be $1200 ish for car and driver, between however many.
Accommodation maybe less than £3-400?

Anyone up for that for 2019: anytime February?

H

HalfTwo, I have emailed you the chain from my failed 2015 trip for your information. I officially still have 15 days leave left to take by the end of the FY, so in theory could stretch to 2 weeks. But 2020 could also work for me.

Regards

Jo

OK, I'm going to forget this for 2019 and will resurrect this thread for a February 2020 trip, for about two weeks, probably around July next year.

Watch this space!

I've asked the webmaster if the old thread I began here last year can be resurrected.

If it can I'll update it.

If not I'll re-start on this one.

Flights from Manchester to Addis (direct) currently £431.

H

Last edited:
My partner and I will be in the country for 2 weeks in November doing an independent trip focusing on Bale/Harenna/Lake Awassa/Guassa Community Conservation Area. If you are visiting any of these areas and want recent gen let me know - we're targeting endemic mammals on this trip, but still hoping for a good haul of HoA endemic birds.

That would be great, thanks very much Daniel.

Who are you using as a driver?

H

No problem, as mentioned before it isn't strictly a birding trip, but hoping to catch up with some goodies (woodpecker, owl, ground thrush, catbird and parisoma are main targets), so if I am successful I can send some co-ords . It's very much an independent trip, as we are going to be using public transport or hitch-hiking for the most part. We have a guide and driver for the Bale/Harenna leg, I'll add his details to this post when I can connect to better Wi-Fi.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back