• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halesowen Garden sightings (1 Viewer)

Adrian k

I hope to update this thread as many days as possible over the coming month's or even years.
I currently have 4 feeding stations in the garden which is a bit larger than the normal gardens of today.
Also have a small bird table and a nice water bath, around the garden I have a Lawn, shrubs, Tree's Wild flowers, Brambles and nettles.
Just over the fence at the bottom of the garden we have well overgrown land a steep drop of around 15ft to a small wetland area with a brook running through it from the springs that fill it.
On the other side of the brook the land raises to the same level as my garden side and as a great variation of wild tree's these then open up into a small area of self planted small tree's this then leads onto open land and fields all the way up to Clent Hills National Park.
My area post code is B63 2HF

01 / 06 / 2019

The area I will be recording from will be as follows My garden, Fly overs that can be seen from my garden, Front garden, Tree's at bottom of fields & the open scrub behind my house.

Todays birds seen -

Blackbird*, Wood pigeon, Robin, Dunnock*, Jay*, Blue tit*, Great tit, House sparrow*, Magpie, Jackdaw, Bullfinch, Goldfinch*, Sparrowhawk, Feral pigeon, Greenfinch, Swift, Starling, Collared dove, Wren, Carrion crow, Lesser black backed gull, Green woodpecker & Collard dove

* denote young birds seen

Seems to be a very good year for House Sparrow breeding as I have many more young than normal in my garden this year.

Hi Adrian, your doing better in your garden than me, Quarry Bank DY5, Looking forward to hearing your progress. Cheers

House Sparrow also noticeably increasing around the Bournville/Northfield area. They've been irregular in our garden until this year, and now they're around all the time .

02/06/2019 Today's birds -

Magpie, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Pheasant, Wood pigeon, Green woodpecker, Great tit*, House sparrow's*, Robin, Blue tit*, Feral pigeon, Carrion crow, Dunnock, Song thrush, Starling, Greenfinch, Swift, Collared dove, Bullfinch, Goldfinch*, Lesser black backed gull & Great spotted woodpecker.

Swifts very low this afternoon in between showers.

*Swifts ten years ago around 30 birds used to be seen from the back garden but this year we are down to just 2 birds.

** Please note I will not be putting birds heard only they have to be seen to go on the list

03 / 06 / 2019

Magpie, Wood pigeon, Blue tit*, Jackdaw, Great tit*, House sparrow, Feral pigeon, Carrion crow, Blackbird, Goldfinch*, Robin*, Chaffinch, Long tailed tit, Greenfinch, Song thrush, Starling, Pheasant, Dunnock, Green woodpecker, Grey heron, Black headed gull, Great spotted woodpecker, Jay & Lesser black backed gull

Last edited:
04 / 06 / 2019

Not to long in the garden this morning but did do a little bird watching while I had a couple cups of tea,

Blackbird, Magpie, Carrion crow, Blue tit*, Bull finch*, Goldfinch*, wood pigeon, Lesser black backed gull, Swift, Great tit*, Jay, Robin*, Dunnock, House sparrow*, Blackcap, Jackdaw, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Skylark & Feral pigeon.

Did try yesterday to upload some photographs but got a error message saying the pics where to large for the forum yet I had them down to 1 on the photoshop elements software.

06 / 06 / 2019

Blackbird, Blue tit*, House sparrow*, Robin, Bullfinch, Goldfinch*, Carrion crow, Magpie*, Chaffinch, Great tit*, Dunnock, Wren, Wood pigeon, Great spotted woodpecker*, Feral pigeon, Starling, Collared dove, Green woodpecker, Pied wagtail, Lesser black backed gull, Jay, Song thrush, Buzzard, Black headed gull, Coal tit, Chiffchaff, Skylark, Greenfinch & Jackdaw

New for month Buzzard flying high on the wind just the one bird, also Pied wagtail juvenile on the ground under the feeders.

08 / 06 / 2019

Not too much to report from this morning due to rain but did pick up around lunch time

Blackbird*, Magpie*, House sparrow*, Collared dove, Great spotted woodpecker, Blue tit*, Great tit*, Chaffinch, Robin*, Wood pigeon, Carrion crow, bullfinch, Dunnock & Greenfinch*

08 / 06 / 2019 -

Tawny owl calling again 22.15 no sign of SWIFTS today looking bleak for this species around here now.

09 / 06 / 2019

More or less the same as yesterday but can report the return of a pair of swifts, talking to the gentleman where they are nesting for the 6 year running and he said for some reason they hadn't been to the nest for 4 days and returned last night.

Will be strimming an area of nettles and tall grass a week Sunday to give the ground feeding birds a new area to feed on.

10 / 06 / 2019 -

Today the garden was full of young birds from House sparrow's to Blackbird's great to see but the feeder's have taken a battering.
Buzzard over early this morning, 8 Swifts flew through but can confirm 2 pairs of SWIFTS now nesting close by.

11 / 06 / 2019
Heavy rain and windy just the weather for something good to drop into the garden but as yet no luck.
I have had many young Starlings, Blue tits and a pair of Great spotted woodpeckers working hard the male is very dirty female not quite so much but giving the suet pellets and balls a good working over.

12 / 06 / 2019

Usual suspects today but have had great views of a family of Great spotted woodpeckers in the garden with both parents feeding the young mostly suet pellets.
A Grey heron made a fly over this morning along with many Jackdaws, Blackcap heard but not seen

No bird watching today but a quick question to all.
What do you feed the birds in your garden?

Sunflower Hearts, Black Sunflower Seeds, Fatballs, Dried worms, Niger seeds and 2 water baths. Unfortunately have attracted 3 cats, which frequent neighbours sheds, overlooking my garden. Bird activity has declined over the last couple of years. Now feeders of last resort.

13 / 06 / 2019

looks like more people are feeding birds this year as I have noticed many cheaper stores are running out of seeds on a regular basis.

Not too much around this morning as the rain continues but young bird wise I have had the following in the garden this morning -

Blackbird, Blue tit, Great tit, Chaffinch, Great spotted woodpecker, Starling, House sparrow, Robin, Goldfinch & Greenfinch

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back