• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon quality of products (1 Viewer)

djprest

im getting very disillusioned with canon or maybe its my bad luck:C

at the moment i have the following

50d
40d
400 f5.6
100-400
50mm
17-40
bg e2n (on the 50d)

to date the 40d has had error 99 (shutter failure) just after the 12 months warranty ran out:C even though it had a shutter count of 24367.
the 100-400 fell apart internally causing the push/pull to lock up and leave grease on the glass inside.
the 50mm just fell apart,yes its cheap and even cheaper built but still:C
and now the BG-E2N is useless as it became stuck on the 50d and the mounting screw mechanism is now stripped.

in all i have had 4 out 7 canon products fail:eek!::C i am seriously thinking of moving to Nikon.

I use Canon but I agree, their quality control leaves much to be desired.I had to have the shutter on my 40D replaced after 10months.Poor, really.

Remember in the EU warranties are now 2 years by default so that is 24 months of full warranty cover you get now. As for the rest the 50mm if the 1.8 version rest assured you are not alone in that camp as it is a poor build construction and others have had them fall apart on them.

I'm also in the same camp with a stuck battery grip - but to be honest I never want to take it off so its not something that bothers me (manfrottos products not being designed for gripped/pro series larger bodies however is a mighty annoyance at times)

I have had my 40D since the year /mth they came onto the UK market,I can take an average of up tp 1000 pics per week,esp in the summer,and it has never missed a beat .I must just be lucky and have a good model.Only prob I have ever had was that the IS malfunctioned on a 100-400,but I had purchased it as a used model,and I had been using continually for around 4 yrs.

I had at least ten Nikon SLR / DSLRs and over 20 Nikon Lenses plus flashes, teleconverters, battery grips, etc. The quality of the Nikon equipment was great - I had to get one camera battery door repaired. I got a 7D and a 100-400 earlier this year. The IS on the 100-400 failed two months after I got it - it was covered under warranty, but it took them awhile to repair it and the shipping costs were high. The 7D is numbering files incorrectly, so I think it will have to be repaired soon also. Maybe it was just dumb good luck with the Nikons and bad luck with the Canon, but I wonder about Canon quality and materials. The Canon Lens hoods are made out of cheap plastic which distort the first time you touch them with insect repellant on your hands - Nikon (and Sigma) lenses don't have that problem. I've switched to Canon because of their superior bird lenses (like the 100-400 IS, the 300 f/4 IS and the 400 f/5.6) and better prices for their high end lenses. Neither company is perfect, I still go back to my Nikons occasionally, so I get to experience the best (and worst) of both.

I've had my moments with Canon's packing up but equally a guy I know was on the scrounge for kit a few weeks ago because both his D3s had packed up along with his 70-200 so I guess Nikon aren't perfect either

I had at least ten Nikon SLR / DSLRs and over 20 Nikon Lenses plus flashes, teleconverters, battery grips, etc. The quality of the Nikon equipment was great . . .. Maybe it was just dumb good luck with the Nikons and bad luck with the Canon, . . .

That’s been my experience too, I’ve owned tons of Nikon equipment over the years—both professional level & amateur—and have never had the slightest problem with any of it. Maybe just chance, as you say, or maybe Nikon actually does have superior quality control compared to the competition (don’t ask, for example, about my adventures with Pentax products!).

I've got a whole array of Canon products without any of the problems that you have had. All have worked well.................

My Canon 100-400 had a fault with IS after about 18 months but Canon replaced the IS mechanism at half cost.

A couple of years later I dropped it onto concrete from chest height and not a dent did I find and it worked perfectly.

My Canon 20D should have died long ago but it is still going. I would guess it has done over 200,000 actuations.

My 40D shutter mechanism went after about 6000 actuations as it did for many BF members and since repair I imagine it has done its lot and is still going.

Technology fails now and again and that is true for Canon, Nikon and others. On the other hand it has worked when I expected it to be broken. I guess it is just a matter of luck and statistics how things turn out. Perhaps you are now due a lot of good luck.

I've bought masses of Canon Eos gear over the years, mainly second-hand lenses and lately DSLR bodies, and most have worked well, and reliably.

Where I have had problems is when I've bought new gear where the proportion of failures has been far too high. All items were either exchanged or repaired under warranty, so I'm not out of pocket, but I do wonder what happened to the EF 70-200 F4L which I returned to the supplier in exchange for one which was much better centred, but still not perfect. Still not satisfied, I did buy the newer EF 70-200 F4L IS at the last Focus on Imaging, and my copy is simply in a different league to my 2nd copy non-IS version.

My first DSLR is a Cannon 40D and although I can't judge it again'st alternative manufactures , it appears very well made and has been super for me.

Unfortunately too many product releases from cars to hi-fi equipment are R&D tested by the consumer today. Many reasons R&D costs, competition from other manufactures etc.

Canon doesn’t make duff equipment, they are in a competitive sector, and any sub-standard product would have an immediate impact on the range and market share. They rode their luck a little with the MK III, by addressing the issue quickly.

Being slightly bias, when you hold a Nikon it feels right in the hand. They too are capable of producing a ‘Friday night model’, but generally all the manufacturers are responsive towards complaints and genuine faults.

I've been shooting Canon since the early 80's and have had no issues - pro grade and some consumer level. I have nothing to say but good things. The worst thing that has happened is my own fault. I left a 600mm f/4 on a tripod with it not firmly in place and my camera body took the brunt of it. The 600mm is still alive and kicking.

The Nikon feels right in the hand can go for Canon too. My Canon equipment is and extension of me. I think my pictures show it.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with any of my Canon or Sigma equipment, I have been very happy with them. Also I treat them with much care.

I was talking to a photo news reporter yesterday(he was taking my photo for the local paper!!!).But .he was asking re my equipment ,I had to pose,using my camera etc.He said that almost all reporters use Nikon stuff ,it is good,but slightly cheaper than Canon.but he did say that if he had a choice,no expense ,he would be using Canon.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back